Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown  (Read 818 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown
« on: April 28, 2016, 03:53:26 am »

I picked this up for $1 on humble a while back, and was pleasantly surprised at how fun it is.

Lets get some things out of the way, first:

- level design is sloppy / lazy, lots of re-used maps, sometimes re-used maps have background effects that are not appropriate to the current part of the story

- combat is extremely simplified, tactics are very light

- classes seem to be not very well balanced, some choices are clear winners over others

The good:

- Despite all its flaws, it is just way more fun than it has any right to be.  It's just enjoyable to play.

- The story is actually quite interesting, better than some of the tabletop expansions have been.

- There are not many (any?) other  turn-based-coop-tactical-shooters, with persistent character progress.  I think there is an unfilled market for this.

...so, anyone playing?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:54:48 am »

Didn't even know this existed.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 04:36:14 pm »

I've considered purchasing it a number of times, and always talked myself out of it. If someone else is playing, I would pick it up, but I don't think I'd ever play alone.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:24:19 am »

I played this for a while, the community was friendly and mature when I was there.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:39:29 am »

Game suffers heavily from "we wanted to make this game mobile friendly even though it caters mostly to the PC audience" syndrom. Combat is overly simplified to the point that, most of the time, aren't many tactical choices at any given moment other then "shoot at/cast spell at X".

Its not a bad game, but its not that great of a game if you aren't into the shadowrun setting and cyberpunk style thing. But yea, its not like there are many tactical turn based squad games with persistent characters out there, which is pretty sad, so if you like the idea, its worth a try.

But yea, I'm not sold on the whole Shadowrun Returns bandwagon thing either.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:00:06 am »

Its not a bad game, but its not that great of a game if you aren't into the shadowrun setting and cyberpunk style thing. But yea, its not like there are many tactical turn based squad games with persistent characters out there, which is pretty sad, so if you like the idea, its worth a try.

But yea, I'm not sold on the whole Shadowrun Returns bandwagon thing either.

This isn't part of the "Retuns" series of games (returns, berlin, hong kong) rather it is its own thing.  If anything, the tactics are even simpler :( but where it really shines is co-op.

You can play with your buddies, or with strangers, and it is a pretty good time.  Playing through the missions solo (for me, at least) wouldn't really be worth it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:22:07 am »

Really? It looks so similar I thought it had something to do with it :v, even the interface is almost identical.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:40:51 am »

They were kickstarted around the same time, and may share a couple of art assets.  but no, totally different.

it's online only, designed for multiplayer but you can solo it with hired mercs (that you control).  they removed overwatch and delay actions to speed up the pace. 

There are some similarities for sure, but different developers, different publishers, dont share skill or magic systems though they aren't too different since they're based on the same tabletop game.