Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenge idea! Double fort  (Read 1601 times)

Maximum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Challenge idea! Double fort
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:53:16 pm »

Hey, this is my fire post! So i just had this idea for a challenge: I don't think anyone else has come up with this idea. Anyways, my idea is the "double fort challenge" so, what happens is: when the first migrant wave comes, wall off your original 7 underground, and keep the migrant wave on the surface in an above ground fort. So then you have 2 forts, one completely above ground, and one completely underground. (Note: the underground fort can't even be on a Z LEVEL with any above ground squares. So the 2 forts cannot contact eachother at all exept for sending 2 dwarves and all they are carrying every year. If one fort dies, so does the other. I would do this but I'm in the middle of my second fort right now. (Yes I know  I'm a newb). So yeah, just a cool idea of mine.

Maximum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge idea! Double fort
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:57:16 pm »

*first post oops. I'm using my phone.

ThatStupidKea

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 08:17:01 pm »

You could always create a second world to embark on.
This continued for quite a while, until one recruit, who was armed with a shortsword instead of a crossbow, woke up from sleeping, plodded downstairs, and stabbed the vampire in the stomach, killing it, before going back to bed and sleeping for half a season.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:27:03 pm »

That doesn't exactly create the same logistical issues as trying to run two forts on the same map.

The only amendment I'd make here is allowing one to divert migrant waves to one or the other freely.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:36:47 pm »

That doesn't exactly create the same logistical issues as trying to run two forts on the same map.

The only amendment I'd make here is allowing one to divert migrant waves to one or the other freely.

I believe he intended to mean that you could gen a new world to do the double fort on, not run them on different maps
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:38 pm »

Sounds neat.

I've built secondary bolt forts, complete with farms and bedrooms in case of total collapse. That sounds more fun.

Now, what about mining? Can the upper fort mine?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:13:32 pm »

The way it sounds, the upper fort can mine but cannot connect to the lower fort except through a "permanently" sealed bridge. I imagine you're keeping the dwarves separated through burrow management?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 02:33:35 am »

You could separate and complicate it even more:
- Use a DEAD civ and have you ~17 dorfs (7 + 2 waves) set up a rudimentary surface facility for visitors, and connect this one with the "real" one underground populated by dorfs with a fully automatic mine cart route (to send stuff up [and, eventually, down]).
- Isolate the dorfs in the lower facility with a sealed airlock in between the surface and the subsurface, and place a lever in the airlock.
- Designate tavern, library, and temple in the surface facility (as well as in the subsurface one).
- When keep an eye out for visitors who want to have a meeting, and send the expedition leader to a burrow in the airlock by order the lever to be pulled on repeat (the lever should be profiled to be usable only by the expedition leader). Seal the "lower" drawbridge behind the expedition leader, and open the "upper" one to let petitioners through. Accept/reject petitions as you see fit, and let the surfacers live in the topside facilities (you need to send up food and booze, and optionally clothing). When the petitioners have left, reseal the "upper" drawbridge and open the "lower" one, releasing the expedition leader from the burrow.
- Eventually you should get citizenship petitions, and when you accept those you then finally get a workforce to start building stuff, growing surface crops, expand the facilities, and even build and man a trade depot, etc.
- Using the mine cart connection you can send down surface crops (and wood) for processing, and place additional beds sent up from below to expand the furniture (until you get enough citizens topside to produce things locally).

The above is a bit too much work for me, but might be of interest to those who want that kind of a challenge.

Maximum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 07:12:23 am »

The way it sounds, the upper fort can mine but cannot connect to the lower fort except through a "permanently" sealed bridge.
Actually, I was thinking that a the upper fort would be entirely above ground exept for a tunnel connecting it to the underground fort that would be sealed by a locked Door that you could only send 2 dwarves through per year. Keep in mind, I'm a massive newb so tell me if that won't work.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:49:46 am »

Have tried a couple examples of this before.

A while back i did a fort where I fastdwarfed out 48x48 of every z level, dumped water to soil it all and then stopped.
Then I split my "forts" into 4z level sections. As each migrant wave came. I filled in the lowest "fort" to 20 dwarves and raised the bridge sealing them in.

Each "fort" had access to some fowl for meat and pigs, 10 farming tiles, wood, the stone left from the major removal, magma, water, obsidian, and fireclay and sand. (Got lucky in those. So i spent some time orchestrating a cave in to drop 1 of each of these downfor each fort). And on the levels with access to the cavern sea, they could get fish and such.

For amenities, each had a dorm with 10 beds, a small dining hall that seated 10, and most of the dwarves would spend their time socializing, or military training.

Worked out fairly well for quite a while. Most deaths were due to mood insanity, i really should have put a sheep or 2 in each level since most were wool or shell related. 2 layers broke 60 dorfs. 1 ehich was mostly children died off by the second generation because everyone was related.

If I were to do it again. I might consider dropping an aboveground block into each section for cultivation of fruit trees (and ignore farming all together.) Build an airlock on each level to allow me to shift materials for moods like the afformentioned wool. And rather importantly make sure that each level is 20 unique unrelated dwarves at start instead of families.

Perhaps one could build an aboveground fort in the meanwhile to house family members inelegable for the current belowground slice you're working on. Also the idlers in the aboveground could help stock new levels you make with wood, food, and other nicessities.

Maximum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 02:57:02 pm »

I just came up with a great idea:

impossible mode: make it a succession fort.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 02:59:23 pm »

The lack of metal in the upper fort will hurt it since it will receive the brunt of attacks so arming them will require trading off spiked wooden balls etc for metal items from the caravan. The cavern fortress will really only need to worry about getting some farming set up and dealing with forgotten beasts. The lack of a caravan will make keeping them clothed a bit tougher since your textile industry will have to be completely self contained down there.

Pick a map with trees and water sources since the top fort can't dig, so no aquifer, no cistern, no stone to build with etc. will be an issue. Also find a map with sand so you at least have a good supply of magma safe blocks and material to use instead of stone and metal.

Edit: On the bright side the fort(s) should be very resistant to complete failure due to the complete redundancy of the two separate populations. Even an HFS breach shouldn't take out the top fort.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:07:05 pm by Melting Sky »

Maximum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 04:12:57 pm »

The lack of metal in the upper fort will hurt
Well, it is supposed to be a challenge!

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 06:48:42 am »

If a working economy ever makes its way into the game, it would be really cool to try competing forts/clans of dwarfs, each with their own noble class vying for economic superiority.

And if Toady added in jealousy modifiers, you could have clan intrigue! (By clan intrigue I mean dwarfs getting into explosively violent fistfights, unless Toady added some other way for dwarfs to resolve feuds)