Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military dwarves leaving clothing in my food stockpile  (Read 700 times)

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
Military dwarves leaving clothing in my food stockpile
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »

Because my only carpenter's workshop is being taken up by a dwarf in a fey mood, I decided to look at my stocks on food and booze manually, when i noticed this:

https://gyazo.com/c1593e13dede227826eace68007288f0

My cannon fodder military dwarves are coming in and removing clothing, and then they just leave it in the food stockpile.

why is this happening?

Edit: My moody dwarf finished, and now I have a wooden door that menaces with spikes of chicken leather, which is somehow listed twice. Any suggestions on where to put it?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:38:58 pm by bigjaredmonkey »
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarves leaving clothing in my food stockpile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:38:33 pm »

Did you assign armor to them? And did you set said armor to replace clothing?

Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:39:39 pm »

I only assigned armor to them. I never saw a button to have armor replace clothing.

Edit: I found the button, and as i saw it it was set to "over clothing", but the robes and coats are still left in the stockpile.

I also have them wearing mail, helms, and leggings. Does this force them to remove parts of their outfits?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:41:14 pm by bigjaredmonkey »
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:44:46 pm »

Edit: My moody dwarf finished, and now I have a wooden door that menaces with spikes of chicken leather, which is somehow listed twice. Any suggestions on where to put it?

Artifact doors are perhaps the greatest gift a moody dwarf can give.  You now have an indestructible entrance to your fortress, that double-menaces with spikes of chicken leather!

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:04:59 pm »

Artifact doors are perhaps the greatest gift a moody dwarf can give.  You now have an indestructible entrance to your fortress, that double-menaces with spikes of chicken leather!
Sweet :D
Really makes up for the previous artifact, which was a mussel shell ring. Hey, at least i have a legendary craftsdwarf AND a legendary mason.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:11 pm »

I only assigned armor to them. I never saw a button to have armor replace clothing.

Edit: I found the button, and as i saw it it was set to "over clothing", but the robes and coats are still left in the stockpile.

I also have them wearing mail, helms, and leggings. Does this force them to remove parts of their outfits?

What clothing articles are they leaving behind specifically?

IIRC, over clothing will have the dwarf mix and match armor with civilian wear - dropping whatever clothing they won't wear right where they stand. This clothing will usually remain where it was dropped, unless it's hauled to a stockpile. Other times the military dwarf in question needs off time to store the clothing in their bedroom.

Could be wrong, mostly going off perceived experience.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:17:25 pm »

What clothing articles are they leaving behind specifically?

IIRC, over clothing will have the dwarf mix and match armor with civilian wear - dropping whatever clothing they won't wear right where they stand. This clothing will usually remain where it was dropped, unless it's hauled to a stockpile. Other times the military dwarf in question needs off time to store the clothing in their bedroom.

Could be wrong, mostly going off perceived experience.
The only clothing they've dropped are robes and coats, but i haven't seen any affect from this, as some haulers have dragged it over to a stockpile.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 07:52:10 am »

When a military dwarf (on duty or off duty, doesn't matter much) decides to perform a Pickup Equipment job, she'll drop the old clothing right where she's standing.  This old clothing is still marked as belonging to her, so nobody else will touch it.  If there is space in her personal quarters (either a cabinet, or open floor space), and if she is not otherwise busy, and is not a total slob, and if the stars are aligned properly, then she might move the used clothing into her personal quarters.  If that happens, it'll probably stay there forever.

On the other hand, if she doesn't move the clothing into her personal quarters within a few weeks, the ownership will decay.  The used clothing will become unclaimed fortress property.  Then, someone else might claim it and wear it, or it might be moved to a finished goods stockpile, or you could mark it for dumping.

While the ownership tag is still there, there's nothing you can do to the clothing -- you can't dump it, can't assign it to another dwarf, can't move it to a different stockpile, can't stick it in a bin, can't sell it at the depot.  There are things you can do to the environment around it, though.  You can draw a stockpile underneath it, and turn on the Refuse category in the stockpile.  This will cause the clothing to wear out quickly, eventually vanishing entirely.  Or you could introduce water flow, which should push the clothing in the direction of the flow.  Or you could introduce magma, which will typically destroy the clothing in short order.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz