Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warehouse/Stockpile question  (Read 910 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warehouse/Stockpile question
« on: April 24, 2016, 01:30:09 pm »

I try not to use (give/take) commands for stockpiles just to ensure I don't have a missing step in a process to screw something up.  However I'm at a loss to figure out an issue I'm having...

I have a primary workshop floor, wood in one area and stone in another.  I have the wood and stone stockpiles near each particular zone area and they pull the materials as needed with no problem.

My storeroom is one level above the shops, accessible via stairway.  The stairs work fine.  The tables, doors, etc are all placed in the right stockpiles with no issues (so access is not a problem).  Taking from the stockpiles hasn't been an issue either.  I've placed tables in dining areas and set up a hospital zone and watched the dwarfs wander into the stockroom, take the items, depart and build the location.  So no issues there either.

I recently made a batch of 20 slabs (job is complete) and I've also got a steady workshop order to keep 10 tables on hand at all times (and they are viewable and NOT forbidden, in the Stockpile). 

So now the dilemma...when I ask my mechanics shop to make Traction benches (20 chains and 10 tables on hand, confirmed in stocks and viewable and NOT forbidden in the stockpile) and also ask my Crafts shop to engrave memorial slabs (again, 20 onhand in stocks and in stockpile...NOT forbidden) it would appear this is a no-brainer for my dwarfs.  Access to the items isn't an issue.  But I keep getting cancelled job orders that they "need chain" or "need table" or "need slab"...all of which are right there in the stockpiles and NO bins.

Now the kicker...I built both a mechanics shop and a craftsdwarf shop on the same z-level as my stockpile...and they are producing away at the same job order. 

I've saved and restarted to see if it was a glitch...it persisted after that.  So any other idea why it might not allow access to those items?  It's the same crafter dwarf doing the work that is cancelling the job downstairs.

As a side question...can you no longer "read" (ie examine) memorial slabs to read the engravement?  I've tried <q> and <k> to no avail; the <v> option to view the item does not show up.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:32:05 pm by ragincajun »
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Warehouse/Stockpile question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 03:26:52 pm »

Traction tables need mechanisms for production.

Use t to view the memorial slabs, assuming they were built.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 06:27:38 pm »

Traction tables need mechanisms for production.

Use t to view the memorial slabs, assuming they were built.
Plenty of mechanisms as well. On a workshop for 20 at all time.

No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:35:38 pm »

I've only ever seen this problem with ramps. Beats me. Try digging a new stairway, if it doesn't mess up your plans. If it does, rebuild the stairway.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:26:58 pm »

So any other idea why it might not allow access to those items?

Did you enable "Workshop restrictions" on a burrow?

As a side question...can you no longer "read" (ie examine) memorial slabs to read the engravement?  I've tried <q> and <k> to no avail; the <v> option to view the item does not show up.

Use [t] to check items in buildings.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:17:09 am »

So any other idea why it might not allow access to those items?

Did you enable "Workshop restrictions" on a burrow?

Use [t] to check items in buildings.
No.  I'm never that advanced really.  Just plopping a SP and setting it to take rock, wood or metal....so I have three different SP's one for each type...typically close by the corresponding shops and then I turn off artifacts in them all and set up a single artifact SP usually in my dining hall.  In fact, since you mention that, this is my first ever fortress that I've even played with workshop options and I set two of my four forges to only be used by one crafter, one for weapons and one for armor and I don't use manager for those...just to focus on skill building for those two guys.  So, no; nothing different about the stonecrafter/mason shops.  Just <w><m> (or <r> and place.  Nothing else.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 11:07:06 am »

Use [nobbc][/nobbc] to avoid [b] turning into bold.

Spoiler: recursive nonsense (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:09:32 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 02:43:37 pm »

Or you can use (b) or {b} or anything else that won't be interpreted by the forum software or by a browser.

Personally I like simple boldface for keystrokes.  Walls (constructed) are b C w and so on.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »

You have some spare ropes and chains, right? Traction benches require not just a table and a mech, but some type of restraint. 

One last thing- TB's lack quality modifiers.  Therefore, you can take your lowest quality furniture made at the beginning of your fortress or when someone just happened to piss in your Mason's plump helmet porridge, and squeeze a little extra value out of them.  I believe material quality still affects value, but craftdorfship won't. 

Also... how many access points do you have between floors? If its just one, have you considered adding in a couple more stairs/ramps might drastically cut down on pathing.  Although... dorfs are pretty stupid when it comes to this.