Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forge Bars and Job Skill  (Read 582 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forge Bars and Job Skill
« on: April 20, 2016, 03:49:55 pm »

What job skill do I need to ensure is on to get smelted bars moved to the stockpiles?  I've got 17-25 inactive dwarfs and yet I have up to 2 dozen bars just sitting in my smelters waiting on haulers to move them away.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forge Bars and Job Skill
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:05:05 pm »

I believe it's just Item Hauling.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 07:31:28 pm »

It sounds to me like you either don't have the appropriate stockpile for your bars, or you have some sort of "take" or "give to" permissions set up which are conflicting.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 08:25:59 am »

It sounds to me like you either don't have the appropriate stockpile for your bars, or you have some sort of "take" or "give to" permissions set up which are conflicting.
No, there are bars making their way to the stockpiles and everyone has all hauling items enabled (except wood hauling)...just not sure what's going on.  Stone I was thinking they might move even without wheelbarrows (each SP is set to 3 wheelbarrows) but bars just trickle.  Maybe everyone is just out hauling the stone...
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 11:17:42 am »

Just spouting an idea here, but what is your bin situation?  Is it possible that your bar bins are being tied up by something and the jobs are wanting to put the bars in the bins but can't?  You could test this by making a binless bar stockpile nearby and see if your idlers move them to it.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »

Just spouting an idea here, but what is your bin situation?  Is it possible that your bar bins are being tied up by something and the jobs are wanting to put the bars in the bins but can't?  You could test this by making a binless bar stockpile nearby and see if your idlers move them to it.
Using semi-quantum dumps with no bins.

sssCq

stockpile (2x3 with 3 wheelbarrows)
C Track Stop with minecart set to dump east
q Quantum Stockpile, no bins, set to receive only from links. 
Minecart pulls from 2x3 pile and dumps to 1x1 square.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 03:52:34 pm »

Using semi-quantum dumps with no bins.

sssCq

stockpile (2x3 with 3 wheelbarrows)
C Track Stop with minecart set to dump east
q Quantum Stockpile, no bins, set to receive only from links. 
Minecart pulls from 2x3 pile and dumps to 1x1 square.

For bars?  Don't use wheelbarrows for a binless bar stockpile.  Bars aren't heavy enough to justify the wheelbarrows, and you shouldn't be moving them terribly far in the first place (unless you bring in a lot of bars through the Trade Depot).  Otherwise, it sounds perfectly dwarfy.  There will occasionally be a bit of a bottleneck when the 2x3 stockpile is full and dwarves haven't got around to loading them into the vehicle, especially when you have extremely few idle haulers.  Not much you can do about that one, except to have more haulers, or less hauling to do.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz