Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding multiple quils to book  (Read 660 times)

Kebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding multiple quils to book
« on: April 17, 2016, 07:10:26 am »

Hi all, I have about 13 quils written by the best scribes my fortress can muster. These works of art and culture must be preserved.
My metalsmiths have forged a beutiful golden Bookbinder.
My craftdwarf has used 1 quil and 1 bookbinder to create a book.
But can't i add more pages to the book? The description even says it only has one quil.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Adding multiple quils to book
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:33:36 pm »

You mean quire, and each has quite many pages. Think of a hardcover book with the cover ripped off, that's what a quire looks like. Many pages but hasn't been bound yet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:20:28 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:53:51 am »

Hi all, I have about 13 quils written by the best scribes my fortress can muster. These works of art and culture must be preserved.
My metalsmiths have forged a beutiful golden Bookbinder.
My craftdwarf has used 1 quil and 1 bookbinder to create a book.
But can't i add more pages to the book? The description even says it only has one quil.

A quire is a grouping of several sheets of paper folded together to make the "pages" of a book. According to wikipedia, historical quires were 4 sheets, folded to make 8 leaves, with 16 writeable sides.

While it wasn't necessarily uncommon for ancient codexes to include multiple separate works, that isn't in the game yet. Also, due to a bug, the actual number of written pages in each quire is lost when the work is bound into a book; all player-created codexes are currently 1 page long.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:53:17 pm »

I was also miffed that binding my written-on unicorn parchment quire with a masterful gold binding actually decreased the value of the quire. I wonder if that's because of the low quality of the binding job. Still, that shouldn't negate the value of the ingredients, should it?

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:20:02 pm »

Good question. Bump!

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:25:08 pm »

1 quire -> 1 codex

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 05:34:37 pm »

I was also miffed that binding my written-on unicorn parchment quire with a masterful gold binding actually decreased the value of the quire. I wonder if that's because of the low quality of the binding job. Still, that shouldn't negate the value of the ingredients, should it?
A bug erases all the unicorn and gold out of the codex.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:01:29 am »

really?!? a bug?  that's not so interesting.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 11:24:11 am »

Yes, it is very much not interesting, I agree.  I haven't made any codices since I realized it was happening and that kinda sucks because I really like the idea of a massive dusty old dwarven library.  And worse, I'm not sure that scribes will copy quires, as I've never seen evidence of it.  In my current fort I'm going with scrolls, er... once I assign some scholars that is.