Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everybody Poops (or do they?)  (Read 1592 times)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
Everybody Poops (or do they?)
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:15 am »

If I remember correctly, Toady has said that excretory functions will not be implemented in the game, because they would break immersion. This seems fair enough. However, it has always bothered me that there are on repercussions for keeping all your animals in your designated-as-meeting-area dining hall. It makes sense not to have dwarves poop, but it doesn't seem to unreasonable for animals to leave behind a little something for either their masters or mother nature to clean up.

Scent-marking could be a possible secondary application of this, giving something to help manage territory of wild animals.

As mentioned above, this change would necessitate stables or pastures for livestock. Dogs may be house trained, and cats will do their business in sand and clean up after themselves instinctively, but animals that just go wherever they are standing at the moment would need to be kept track of. This would require more effort on part of the player, so it seems reasonable to delay the implementation of this feature for horses and other mounts until player riding is allowed.

I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Everybody Poops (or do they?)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:31:27 am »

...this is one of the most common suggestions. Add your post to one of those. There's no such thing as a necro in this board, unless it's just a post with nothing but "i liek dis!!!"
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:49 pm »

Hello, and welcome to Bay12.  Thank you for your traditional first post in the Suggestions Forum.

To back up what Dozebom said, at the top of the Suggestions forum, there's this:

BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION

• Check our development pages. You can find everything in one place at this link.
  • Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old.  However, please do not bump threads just to show support.

We prefer bringing back an existing thread because, especially in very well-hashed material like these, the same arguments tend to be made over and over, sometimes being some giant argument that pops up every couple months, flaring into a heated debate, and then everyone simmering down until the next new person comes along and starts the same debate over again, and people just copy-paste their same answers again.  Those who don't learn from history and all that...

Toady One actually specifically responded to this sort of suggestion way, WAY back at the start of Dwarf Fortress being open:
They just drop it everywhere?  Everyone will might be doing it after a while... night soil, and so on.  But it's a dangerous door to open, especially if the room on the other side is full.  If a god turns you into a horse in adventure mode, would you suddenly start dropping the bomb?

Also, a list of threads, just searching for "poop", just to show this is a really popular topic:
Nobody Poops (familiar title...)
Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
Feces and Urine
A Suggestion On Poop Handling
Feces Vote
Why dwarves do not poo or have (almost) no sex?
sh*t
On poopsmithing and urine.
toilets
Waste and sewers
Sewage/dwarf waste
Waste Management
Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.
A simple and realistic way to add challenge back to sieges
Disease, biological warfare and excrement could go hand in hand.
Waste Issues (a compromise)
Sanitation Abstraction
Toilet zone? (similar to refuse). / Toilet room (with to (yes, the title just stops there)
Urination and defication!
Sewerage
Sewage compromise: separate cleaning areas from drinking areas

I've even dedicated a section of the big agriculture thread to it.

As an amusing side-note, Toady once made a game called "shit thrower cannibals", and biological waste has been in the game before, covertly termed "brown filth" and "yellow filth" back in the 40d era.  (It even was stated as a material!)

(Note that many of those threads involve arguments for one form of "compromise" or another.  Frankly, I don't think Toady is in to compromises. Either everyone poops or nobody does.  He's basically said that the only reason he hasn't added poop already was that he didn't want to add more "breaks" for dwarves to take.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 09:20:51 pm »

As an amusing side-note, Toady once made a game called "shit thrower cannibals", and biological waste has been in the game before, covertly termed "brown filth" and "yellow filth" back in the 40d era.  (It even was stated as a material!)
Brown filth (solid) and yellow filth (liquid) are still in the game.  There's even a white liquid called "unidentified substance" (ewwww).  The materials just lay there dormant, ready for any modder who really really wants to go there.

But to back up what NW said, the norm here is to comment on an existing thread if you can find one.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:38:30 am »

Shucks, sorry guys. I'll look through the archives to see if the question has been asked next time.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 12:55:10 pm »

Urist McStupid cancels ****: interrupted by buzzard. (x100)
Urist McStupid has been found dead: bladder exploded.