Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I limit myself to just the first 7 dwarfs  (Read 1500 times)

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I limit myself to just the first 7 dwarfs
« on: April 13, 2016, 06:45:17 pm »

Or the second migration and that it. Is there an option to limit the amount of dwarfs?

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I limit myself to just the first 7 dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:17:16 pm »

Change the raws for the original game. LNP has an option to limit population which is just an easier way of editing raws.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:03:02 pm »

The population caps are not in the raws.  They're in data/init/d_init.txt.  You can save & quit, edit that file, restart, and it'll work.  If you use the LNP launcher GUI to edit the file for you, that's fine too.

There are two lines, specifically:

[POPULATION_CAP:x]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:y]

The second line is the absolute limit.  You'll get no new dwarves (births or migrants) once you're at the strict cap.  The first line (non strict) only stops migrants, and not births.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 12:19:21 am »

It's also important to note that the standard population cap, won't actually stop migrants until the outpost liaison visits your fortress. So if you want to only have 30 dwarves, but you're at 28 when the liaison arrives, you're getting a whole additional year of migrants.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 03:24:09 am »

It's also important to note that the standard population cap, won't actually stop migrants until the outpost liaison visits your fortress. So if you want to only have 30 dwarves, but you're at 28 when the liaison arrives, you're getting a whole additional year of migrants.
It that correct? I think I've seen in the forum that it used to work that way, causing it to be impossible to block the first two waves. My understanding is that currently the pop cap takes effect as soon as DF is restarted.

You can limit yourself to the first two waves either through the pop cap or by starting as a truly dead civ (which also means no dwarven caravans, no monarch, and no foreign diplomats). Most times when you try to get a dead civ you get a struggling one (which works the same as a healthy one, except that you get a monarch at the 2 year mark at the latest).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 04:08:08 am »

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 05:55:54 am »

Set the pop caps to something low, but you still cannot prevent two waves. Those are harcoded to arrive, and only way to prevent them is to be bordered by water on all sides.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 07:15:38 am »

Set the pop caps to something low, but you still cannot prevent two waves. Those are harcoded to arrive, and only way to prevent them is to be bordered by water on all sides.

That used to be true, but as Patrik said, things have changed in the more recent versions.

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 08:16:05 am »

No. The population caps take effect immediately and actually limit the population to the exact amount specified since v0.40.x.

That used to be true, but as Patrik said, things have changed in the more recent versions.

No, that was never true to my knowledge. The "hard-coded" waves ignore in-game conditions, but do respect the population cap(s). Prior to v0.40.x it was difficult to get the population cap "activated" prior to those two waves arriving, but it was possible via dfhack, for example. In the current version it is trivial to block the "hard-coded" waves. Set the population cap to 7 or less to block *all* migrants (unless/until your fortress population falls below the number you specified, in which case you will get exactly enough migrants to reach the number specified, not a year's worth of immigration).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 08:18:09 am »

I just started a random fortress in a random world (0.42.05) and set the pop cap to 7. Autumn just arrived, and I'm still at 7 dorfs, without any message saying no migrants arrived during the whole of summer, so I'd definitely say things have changed so the pop cap takes effect immediately.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:14 pm »

It would have been more fun if you had tried something more dwarfy.

I challenge you (or anyone else reading this) to build a system that tosses dwarves into the magma sea, but allows animals (so that they can be later slaughtered)
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 12:07:45 pm »

There are also two other solutions, if you don't want to adjust the popcap, or you don't want to make people adjust the popcap..

Embark on an island.  The smallest I've ever found is 4x3 tiles, leading to a somewhat large 5x4 embark size.
But if you could ever find such a teeny tiny island, you get no migrants, no liasons, no caravans, no visitors, nothing.  You are completely alone with the starting 7. :)  Also, you never get more land animals appearing, which is kind of... interesting.

Similarly, if you embark from a Dead civ (not just dying, but truly dead) you will only get the first two migrant waves regardless of your popcap settings.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 06:27:48 pm »

Delete the migration events using dfhack?