Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How dangerous is fire?  (Read 4794 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
How dangerous is fire?
« on: April 13, 2016, 06:37:22 am »

I vaguely remember fire being a danger. But after the last dragon incident I'm not sure if this is the case. Or are some mundane creatures resistant?

When the dragon came, it shoot a dragonfire in general direction of a chained cat. The cat was shaken, but alive, and the dragon had to execute him with a claw. Then it went to a cage trapped tunnel (intending to destroy a door), and that was it with the dragon.

The fire it started converted into a blaze, which burned all grass on savannah plateau, and even some trees. I also observed that fire can go downwards on trees, so beach area was also burned. But all the three other chained cats were unharmed. They were in the same tiles as fire, and didn't even flinch. They waited patiently for ropes to burn, and then were freed and started wandering. Later I installed new restraints and chained the critters again.

So it seems cats are impervious to fire. May it be because they have no clothes? But the temperature of fire and burning nearby items should at least inconvenience them, shouldn't it? I know the bodies can catch fire and burn to ashes, but what about live creatures?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How dangerous is fire?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:04:24 am »

Fire is very dangerous, and dwarves have a very poor sense of that, so they can easily walk right up to it and get surrounded or succumb to smoke. A dwarf on fire will die unless the fire is doused (by water) and may die because of blood loss anyway (fire causes body fat on afflicted body parts to melt, which results in bleeding, which is staunched only by the supply of blood in that body part running out. It might be possible to staunch it in the hospital, but there isn't much time to get there before the body part has bled out). Dwarves can walk right up to fire, but the frequently fail to attack fire based creatures because they won't move that last tile into melee range because of the heat and just stand around while being attacked, which can result in some spectacular defeats.
FBs causing fire in the caverns sometimes cause critters to die due to that fire, although the FB frequently attacks them at the same time...
Fur should be more susceptible to fire than clothes, if anything.
Dragon fire will melt almost anything (including most magma safe materials) so a cat surviving dragon fire probably did so due to a legendary dodging ability. It might even be possible that you can dodge naturally occurring fire withing your own tile, which, if so, could explain why the other cats were unharmed.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:37:18 am »

I know fire and high temperature can cause bleeding injuries, but I realised that every time I saw it the injured person was clothed. And the clothes always catch fire. When the person's body was on fire it was a corpse. But I played with fire many versions ago. In v.0.40 and newer only a bit.  I had an adventurer who started to melt because he found a very hot angelic weapon, and his clothes started burning, but I don't remember him catching fire.

What about naked creatures? It's rare to have a naked dwarf. I need to test that.

For dodging, I would expect an alert message, but who knows. I know the cats were not horrified, so there was nothing bad happening to them, at least in their own view.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:41:56 am »

set their propensity for BASHFUL to 0, and they won't be embaressed being unclothed
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 10:54:45 am »

set their propensity for BASHFUL to 0, and they won't be embaressed being unclothed

Good idea, though I was thinking about starting experiments on zombies, then elves, then dwarves. Zombies wear clothes, but have no soul, so they don't care. Elves are good animal model for dwarves, or so I've heard.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:18:32 am »

Prisoners pitted into magma are reported as being on fire, and if you don't lock the hatch they can climb up and run around while on fire. Now, I always strip my prisoners first, so they're always naked.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »

Dragon fire is quite dangerous but a bit buggy. It can melt things made of magma safe stone with a higher melting point than any common metal yet it cannot melt metals, even ones with ridiculously low melting points, or a wooden shield for that matter. I had one fort with a dragon based defense and clean up system in my secondary entrance. The whole idea was that I could lead goblins down that path so the dragon fire would burn off the countless leather thongs and troll fur socks dropped by the damn goblins when I killed them. This particular fort would get a constant stream of huge sieges so there was an endless stream of goblin and troll crap to clean up so I figured the dragon fire should solve that problem.

Anyway, the dragon ended up going wild after I accidentally cut off the path the trainer was supposed to use to reach and tame it, so I got to learn all sorts of things about what dragon fire can burn. I noticed it has some really weird properties. For instance the shutters I had installed in the form of magma safe bridges to block the dragon's view when needed were vaporized right off the bat thus leaving me with an uncontrollable wild dragon entombed in a pill box in one of my fortress entrances. Needless to say this particular entrance soon became a forbidden place for dwarves to visit, but it remained popular with the goblins.

Some things I noticed included that items just lying around on the floor won't catch fire from the dragon fire, yet they are prone to catching fire from the normal secondary fires that sometimes result from the dragon fire. Creatures with a high dodge ability can dodge dragon fire like ninjas. Creatures with any sort of shield can block dragon fire with amazing efficiency regardless of what the shield is made of. To make an already long story shorter, the effects of the fire were not always intuitive. My guess is that the cats can probably thank their awesome dodge ability for surviving the fire, either that or fire has buggy interactions with chained critters.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:09:30 pm by Melting Sky »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 02:32:41 pm »

So it seems cats are impervious to fire. May it be because they have no clothes? But the temperature of fire and burning nearby items should at least inconvenience them, shouldn't it? I know the bodies can catch fire and burn to ashes, but what about live creatures?

All creatures are impervious to fire if you disable temperature calculations.

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:25:54 am »

Dragon fire is quite dangerous but a bit buggy. It can melt things made of magma safe stone with a higher melting point than any common metal yet it cannot melt metals, even ones with ridiculously low melting points, or a wooden shield for that matter. I had one fort with a dragon based defense and clean up system in my secondary entrance. The whole idea was that I could lead goblins down that path so the dragon fire would burn off the countless leather thongs and troll fur socks dropped by the damn goblins when I killed them. This particular fort would get a constant stream of huge sieges so there was an endless stream of goblin and troll crap to clean up so I figured the dragon fire should solve that problem.

Anyway, the dragon ended up going wild after I accidentally cut off the path the trainer was supposed to use to reach and tame it, so I got to learn all sorts of things about what dragon fire can burn. I noticed it has some really weird properties. For instance the shutters I had installed in the form of magma safe bridges to block the dragon's view when needed were vaporized right off the bat thus leaving me with an uncontrollable wild dragon entombed in a pill box in one of my fortress entrances. Needless to say this particular entrance soon became a forbidden place for dwarves to visit, but it remained popular with the goblins.

So the clear lesson is to make your dragon cage blast door shutters out of metal, not rock?
That and dragons are !!FUN!! of the highest order and must be used.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 09:35:21 am »

Dragon fire melts everything. Even adamantine.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 09:41:41 am »

Yeah, but I didn't.

So the clear lesson is to make your dragon cage blast door shutters out of metal, not rock?
That and dragons are !!FUN!! of the highest order and must be used.

I would test metal based buildings first, i.e. metal blocks for bridge and metal mechanisms for linking, before entrusting them with life of my dwarves. I'm not sure the mechanics was intended here, and how consistent it is between versions. I remember dragonfire destroying my artefacts in the past.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 09:48:21 am »

I JUST SAID DRAGONFIRE MELTS EVERYTHING. GO CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF.

Well, technically, all walls, floors, and ramps are immune to temperature. But dragonfire melts NETHER-CAP. If it can melt, it melts against dragonfire.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:04 am »

I JUST SAID DRAGONFIRE MELTS EVERYTHING. GO CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF.

Well, technically, all walls, floors, and ramps are immune to temperature. But dragonfire melts NETHER-CAP. If it can melt, it melts against dragonfire.
Maybe check the wiki. All metals are immune. It doesn't melt nether-cap, it burns it, like all other organic materials.

It can only melt adamantine indirectly, by slow heat transfer from other affected objects that last long enough to do so.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:17:37 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 11:54:47 am »

I did. I... Misinterpreted his meaning. Bridges will withstand dragon fire until they are opened. Same as doors. But when they are opened and have dragon fire IN THEIR TILE, they will melt, eventually, regardless of their material.

No metal bridge will work as dragon fire shutters.

I don't have any info on items, though I do know that wooden shields can block dragon fire.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:56:49 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 03:31:23 pm »

Yeah, but I didn't.

If your cats are impervious to fire then odds are you did.

I did. I... Misinterpreted his meaning. Bridges will withstand dragon fire until they are opened. Same as doors. But when they are opened and have dragon fire IN THEIR TILE, they will melt, eventually, regardless of their material.

No metal bridge will work as dragon fire shutters.

Nope. Metal (even non-fire-safe metal like tin) is currently immune to dragonfire because of a bug.
Pages: [1] 2