Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battleborn - Launch is here!  (Read 2333 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Battleborn - Launch is here!
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:11:28 am »

https://youtu.be/9aLQNgyeqh8

The makers of Borderlands have created a new game dripping with their awesome style. Featuring co-op story mode, PvE base defense(not in beta), PvP king-of-the-hill, and a team-based competitive creep-push. It's an FPS with a huge cast of characters with unique abilities, comparable to a MOBA. Also like a MOBA, character progression resets with each new level; however you do keep equipment drops and some skill choice unlocks, allowing you to progress as you play.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:50:08 am by Folly »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleborn - Open Beta April 13-18 - Preload available now!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:44:57 am »

How massive is this "massive cast of characters", exactly?
I've been hearing a lot about this game, I should really look into it to try and determine if it's my cup of tea.
Whether or not I play it will probably depend on if anyone I know is interested in it.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:50:17 am »

Checking some media release/pre-open beta stuff, it looks to be around 25 on release.

Pretty fun to watch, at least. I wouldn't play it, because I don't have anything that could run it, but it's fun to watch other folks play.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 11:49:40 am »

How massive is this "massive cast of characters", exactly? 

https://battleborn.com/en/battleborn/

25 at launch, with regular additions promised after release.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 12:05:55 pm »

After a bit of googling I learned that the PS4 open beta is already going... downloading it on my friend's PS4, I'll see what it's like. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:13:16 pm »

Speaking as someone in the PS4 beta, I've been having a great time of things so far. There's only two co-op story missions and two of the creep-pushing game modes (each with their own map), but the game's loads of fun, especially once you get good. I haven't tried out many of the heroes yet, but so far I'm loving being able to speed around maps as Orendi setting off pillars of chaos fire right on top of dudes and then speeding away laughing.

I'm not good at critical analysis, honestly, but the game feels good. Some of the writing can be a bit hit or miss in the campaign stuff, but it's generally enjoyable more often than not. The variety in playstyles the various heroes offer means you're probably gonna find someone you like playing, the loadout system lets you use loot acquired from story missions and crate unlocks to alter your stats, and the mid-match leveling and upgrades switch up how you play even further. And, speaking as someone who's never gotten into MOBAs, Battleborn's pretty welcoming to beginners; it leans more on the FPS side of things than the MOBA side, granted, but that works in its favor, I think.

All in all, pretty fun, would recommend trying the beta. I'll probably buy it sometime; hopefully the PS4 population kicks around for a while.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 04:45:09 pm »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 12:15:54 am »

Booze is Life for Yoink

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleborn - Open Beta has begun!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:12:17 pm »

I've been playing on PS4 beta the last couple days, and loving the hell out of it. Getting used to each character's unique playstyle is great. There's only 2 story levels in beta, but I just keep playing them over and over without getting bored. Still, I'm looking forward to the final release and all the content that comes with it. I'm also looking forward to moving over to PC beta, which should be starting about now, because I hate trying to aim with a stick.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 12:56:00 pm »

Looks like Yoink got burned by the casual market. :P

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:25:51 pm »

Watching the trailer brought that "too comicy" sort of stuff to mind. But on watching some fairly extensive gameplay vids, it looked pretty good.

Everyone tried to make out it wasn't Smite, it was way more FPS'y. I kind of like Smite, and more FPS'y is good too.

And you get a single-player campaign and all that as well for the price.

The art-style ingame looks pretty good to my eye. Simple, stylistic, but defined enough to be characterful.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:28:12 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 10:16:27 pm »

I tried a bunch of single-player against bots today.  Its very hectic and I have a hell of a time even figuring out if someone is on my team or not. 

Not really my thing I think.  The voices lines and stuff are hilarious though, I thought I heard Brock Sampson and Tiny Tina in there somewhere.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 10:21:36 pm »

Played two versus matches (had to stop because sleep incoming) just now and all I got to say is: it's not a MOBA/Hero Brawler/DotA-like/AoS/Push-lanes-and-get-called-noob. It is a very good and solid shooter with some slight elements from the former genre, much like Monday Night Combat. My single complaint is that the screen can get pretty busy at times with effects, which is something that they should reconsider.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 11:08:57 pm »

Played two versus matches (had to stop because sleep incoming) just now and all I got to say is: it's not a MOBA/Hero Brawler/DotA-like/AoS/Push-lanes-and-get-called-noob. It is a very good and solid shooter with some slight elements from the former genre, much like Monday Night Combat.
Good! I'll ptw then.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 07:38:47 pm »

Played some more and I am seriously considering preodering the game. I doubt I'll play each singleplayer mission more than once, but this is a multiplayer game I can see myself playing over a very long time.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2