Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do I have to make barrels right a way in order to make drink from plants?  (Read 605 times)

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems like I do not get the option ( grayed out ) brew drink from plants. Is this because I need barrels or rock pots? HOw do i get around this?

Also what does " Needs unrotten extract " mean I  get this message a lot? Thanks
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:20:05 pm by Antmf »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Embark with a carpenter or stone worker and make some early on. It is not as if either raw material is hard to come by. Or, a little more cheesy would be to take things in barrels, and reuse them. 10 food fit in a barrel on embark, and if you take 11, you get 2 barrels - one with 10, one with 1. You could even embark with 1 of as many different types of fish/meat and end up with a huge stock of barrels. Oh, you can reserve barrels in the stockpile menu to ensure some are left empty, too. Traders often come with things in barrels - either booze (useful), extracts (some useful like milk, some useless like venom), and blood (useless). The contents of useless ones can be dumped to free up the barrel.

"Needs un-rotten extract" could be a number of things. What jobs do you have queued up or ordered, and at what workshops?
This is a blank sig.

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Embark with a carpenter or stone worker and make some early on. It is not as if either raw material is hard to come by. Or, a little more cheesy would be to take things in barrels, and reuse them. 10 food fit in a barrel on embark, and if you take 11, you get 2 barrels - one with 10, one with 1. You could even embark with 1 of as many different types of fish/meat and end up with a huge stock of barrels. Oh, you can reserve barrels in the stockpile menu to ensure some are left empty, too. Traders often come with things in barrels - either booze (useful), extracts (some useful like milk, some useless like venom), and blood (useless). The contents of useless ones can be dumped to free up the barrel.

"Needs un-rotten extract" could be a number of things. What jobs do you have queued up or ordered, and at what workshops?

Extract from plants and brew drink from plants...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

In that case the error is down to you ordering "extract from plants". There is only one job that order can do: to turn kobold bulbs into a glass vial gnomeblight. It is a little used order you can safely never need to use. Stick to brewing and you should be fine.
This is a blank sig.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As indicated, you basically need to make barrels/large pots in order to do any decent brewing. As barrels are emptied they can be used again, but that means you can do one brew job, and then have to wait for another barrel to empty (and the dorfs are probably draining the barrels in parallel rather than sequentially out of spite).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is virtually impossible to have too many large pots.  Just make them 10 at a time until you don't need any more, then make another 20 or 30 for good measure, and you might be all right for a little while.  (Barrels also work, but large pots are lighter, can be made of stone in addition to wood, and hold more stuff.  You only need barrels for a few very specific special cases.  Booze is not one of 'em.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

while we're on this subject... what's the best material to make large pots out of?

I embarked next to a volcano, and I got loads of safely accessible sand, which next to a volcano means infinite glass... are glass large pots lighter than stone ones? and are they durable against vermin?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Barrels also work, but large pots are lighter, can be made of stone in addition to wood, and hold more stuff.

Barrels and large pots have had the same capacity since v0.40, and pots are only lighter than barrels made of the same material--typical stone pots are heavier than wood barrels.

while we're on this subject... what's the best material to make large pots out of?

Strictly from the perspective of weight: Wood--one of the lightest ones, if you're particular.

I embarked next to a volcano, and I got loads of safely accessible sand, which next to a volcano means infinite glass... are glass large pots lighter than stone ones? and are they durable against vermin?

Slightly, and unknown but doubtful. Still, it's hard to argue against free, and dwarves thankfully no longer carry pots all over the place unless you have set up your fortress poorly. Add in that glass pots are free experience for your glassmaker, making all your free glasswork higher quality, and glass pots are the clear winner.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

It's worth mentioning that a glassmaker with a magma furnace can single-handedly defend a fort and buy out caravans with serrated disks. Glassmaking is fucking awesome.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.