Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gamelog.txt  (Read 6417 times)

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gamelog.txt
« on: April 08, 2016, 04:46:17 pm »

Interesting thing just happened.

Scenario: 5 fps fort that I leave running while at work and overnight, dealing with things that pause the game as they come up and occasionally checking to see if anything new needs doing (such as mandates).

I came home today to find a strange mood had begun.  I stuck the dwarf in the Strange Mood burrow, assigned some high quality material, and started browsing/reading until the game paused to announce he had begun.  Quicksave, unpaused, and back to browsing.

Checked back a bit later to find DF... pretty much wigging out.  It would snap out of it for one or two seconds, then go Unresponsive for twenty seconds and the CPU load would drop to 0%.  Reloads did nothing, nor did forbidding doors and checking for stuck creatures (hard to be stuck, there are only a few dozen trees left on the entire embark).  Figured at this point I may have to replay the last decade... until I tried a crazy long shot.

I copied the entire DF folder to a new location... and deleted the gamelog file.  Tried again... and it worked!  Ran at the consistent 5 fps I've gotten used to.  Closed out, copied the gamelog file back... and it began stuttering again.

So I took a look at the gamelog file...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At this point, the file is so large it cannot be opened in windows.  I had known the file was getting absolutely huge for quite some time now, and had always wondered if it might have some effect on gameplay eventually.  Seems I was right.

So I ask this question: how big is your Gamelog.txt?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Gamelog.txt
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:38 pm »

I usually delete mine before it gets more than a few MB large.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:44:42 am »

I find that notepad ++ can handle the super bloated gamelog.txt files that would otherwise crash notepad.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 11:18:02 am »

Actually notepad++ tells you it can't open a file that large, while the normal notepad can open any file no matter the size (I'd think as long as it is smaller than your available RAM), but it might take forever to open.

I definatly had files so big that I could only open them with notepad, with notepad++ not being able to open them.
But yeah, text files that big could cause problems.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:11:52 pm »

Actually notepad++ tells you it can't open a file that large, while the normal notepad can open any file no matter the size (I'd think as long as it is smaller than your available RAM), but it might take forever to open.

I definatly had files so big that I could only open them with notepad, with notepad++ not being able to open them.
But yeah, text files that big could cause problems.
It used to be that opening files over a certain size in Notepad would kick you over to WordPad instead (which is really MS Word 6.0 bundled into Windows).  Wouldn't be surprised if that changed, because it was a really annoying behavior.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 06:09:09 am »

maybe my game sometimes crashes because it simply runs out of memory.
if said gamelog is filling the RAM and isn't cleared regularly and something causes announcement/report spam, this could easily fill a GB of RAM.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 09:47:02 pm »

I'm curious about you're 5 fps fort...Embark size, version #, dwarf count and such.

My 40.19 Mega fort recently had something similar, but I don't "think" it wss mood related.
I had unforbidden *pages* of clothes, turned on many workshops, and finally turned workflow
on my 4 stills and set the limit to 10,000-15000.
unpause.
My dwarfs would blink 4 to 11 times, then df would go not responding.
My idler count was still fairly high 120 (I frequently take it down to 10-15 idlers  with no problems) So that wasn't it.
Fearful of losing my fort, I lowered the still limits to 5,000-10,000.
that didn't "seem" to help, so I just waited,and waited..as my idler count rose things got better.
Maybe after playing this fort for 14 months I should make a backup copy ;)

P.S. you can edit announcements.txt to remove ANY pause/recenter you like. Check the wiki.
Nothing like letting df run for 4 hours only to find it paused 1 day after you left, to announce mrsurist mcbabyfactory had her 20th kid. Or urist mcweapon master named his axe...or shield.
REALLY?!! No thank you. My game only pauses for caravans, seasonal autosaves now.
Agh....much much better.

I envy you're 5 fps fort, Anvillocked sank below 5 fps months ago.
I think I saw a 2!!!  ;)

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 01:50:34 pm »

I found the cause of my df not responding.

Its my 1 tile dump zone beside the depot.
Those "pages" of clothes I unforbid. Were STACKS. Trying to go to stockpiles, since its only
1 tile it can only generate so many jobs. But there are about 40 THOUSAND worn clothes in it.
OOOPS. This might take a while!!   :o

Hard lesson learned.

Goatmaan

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 02:02:32 pm »

This is exactly the reason i use DFHack : d -> b -> d then set make the selection over the stockpile for all the useless 40k items are automatically marked for dump, then in the DFHack prompt
Code: [Select]
autodump destroyAnd immediately enjoying the game becoming playable again :)

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 02:59:17 pm »

Yea df hack caused this...with my help.
performance tweaks...dumps worn clothes wich are then forbidden. Doh!
I also suspect clean contaminates stops soap usage.

I've turned off "performance tweaks" in the lnp df hack tab. So we'll see.

This fort was to use or trade away every item produced.
NO atomsmashing.
NO vaping stuff in magma.
NO df hack destroy/create.
Ill let it ride for a bit.

The dwarven caravan is here,  dwarfs move clothes to the depot *very* quickly.
but the 1 tile dump zone has no bins, and move goods to depot only displays 17 items(distance 1) at a time.
No easy way to do this, but I WILL get em ALL sold off.
Time + 370(+) idlers= amazing things.  ;)

Goatmaan

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 04:29:37 pm »

I'm curious about you're 5 fps fort...Embark size, version #, dwarf count and such.
   Goatmaan

Sure, I can give you some details. 
  • The world gen was a huge continent, I believe. 250 year history.
  • The fort is built on a 3x3 flat wilderness embark with ponds and tons of trees, DF Version 40.24. 
  • The start year was 250-01 (May 2015) and the fort is halfway through its 99th year (so 348-06). 
  • Current population is 169, down from a high of 189. 
  • There have been 36 deaths (30 from old age).
  • The fort has seen 176 sieges, in which 7314 enemies attacked and 6692 were killed.
  • Military peak strength was 9 squads (2 mace, 1 hammer, 2 crossbow, 1 axe, 1 pick, 1 sword, 1 spear)
  • Current best solider is Teresa the sword master with 329 kills wielding her artifact adamantine 2h sword Toneswallow.
  • Current Pets/Livestock is at 323, mostly cave crocs (151) Dragons (121) and Cave Dragons (28).  All caged
  • Dead/Missing is at 9499, 618 of which are due to crundles climbing the cavern sealing walls and falling to their death.
  • Cleanowned Dryrun has my fort at 187,036 items, 1/3rd of which are green glass blocks used in the cavern sealing walls
  • Another 46000 items goes to coins.  A single coin has been minted every year; platinum for 50 year marks, gold for 10, silver for 5, and copper for the rest.

I appreciate your advice about the .init.  If I hadn't discovered it already, I would jump on it in an instant.  Breeding dragons and taming cave crocodiles/hydras in my fort forced many an in-depth search of my options, finally revealing the method.  Saved much of my sanity.  Currently, it only pauses for caravans, megabeasts/titans/forgottenbeasts, sieges, and strange moods.

Suggestion for your 1x1 dump of thousands of clothes.  Not sure if it is so in your version, but in my version (of DFHack, I presume) you can set a stockpile to Auto-Trade.  Place a 1x1 stockpile beneath the stack and set it to autotrade.

Alternatively, place a 1x1 refuse stockpile on it.  Clothes rot naturally, so I don't think it goes against your tenant of no smashing, no magma vaping, no df hack autodump destroy.  In a refuse pile, they should rot fairly quickly.

*edit: O, and some stats of your own year+ old mega fort would be awesome!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:35:23 pm by RocheLimit »

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 02:47:31 am »

My 40.19 fort was founded to find the mythical "fps death" people complain about.
1000 adult dwarves is the goal, "fps death" still a myth.

A medium world, warm 6*6 embark, forested with murky pools that dry up. 1050 yr history( fullsize dragons ;). Since its about getting 1000 dwarfs invasions off.(till 1000)
Anvillocked was founded in 1072, current date 7/22/1099. Started jan 2015.
As the fort grew, the pauses really,really set us back.
At some point I got angry with the elves, and pledged to cut down ALL those damnable trees and pave the map with granite then cover THAT with charcoal.
Half way thru paving, I realized nothing can be placed on a road.
Plan b: rip up the road, floor it instead...I'm about 1/2 way again.
fun with numbers :
682 adult dwarves
248 children
16 babes
946 total (2 vamps)

10 squads of 10 (about 60 more planned)
5 of those xbow squads.
73 miners 52+5
29 carpenters 6+5
43 woodcutters 4+5
122 masons (flooring/blocks) 7+5
22 stonecrafters 9+5
23 hunters 8+5 (xbow squads soon)
143 farmers 41+5 (kids+all harvest)
31 woodburners 16+5
92 plant gatherers 11+5
30 brewers 14+5/ 14 cooks 11+5
33 furnace ops 19+5 / 11 weaponsmiths 8+5/ 12 armorers 8+5
14 clorhiers all +5/ 12 leatherworkers 9+5
1635 steel bars/1827 iron bars/369 pigiron/4730 copper bars
18k cloth
23k granite blocks and counting :)
169 alpacas/llamas/sheep.
the "plan" is 300 dwarf civilians feeding 700 military.
The stable civilians will carry axes or picks and know how to use them.
seems most people underestimate the power of idlers throw 100+ at a job and see ;)
 Oh almost forgot....3 fps rock steady (again) only time it crashes is somewhere over 6 max size floors placed at once (600+ blocks) the ONLY time.
I also use seasonal autosaves OR pause the game then esc. to save
Ps. The mountainhome traders left with about 20k xclothesx and over 2 million profit ;)

Goatmaan

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 03:00:41 am »

A lot of people would regard 3FPS as 'FPS death' though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 03:21:17 am »

Those people with 3 idlers at 100 fps would be amazed how fast 100 idlers actually are at 3 fps
They don't compensate the lower fps with more workshops/cross trained dwarfs.

I had to try it myself to see, but to each their own.
Now I believe.

Goatmaan

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 03:33:44 am »

A lot of people would regard 3FPS as 'FPS death' though.
Anything below 20 is dead as far as I'm concerned

but to each their own.
No you're just insane
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: [1] 2