Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guards and Punishment in Adv mode.  (Read 997 times)

Myth

• Bay Watcher
  • And ne forhtedon na
    • View Profile
Guards and Punishment in Adv mode.
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:45:11 am »

I have two ideas for the future implementation of guards and punishment in Adventure mode . I hope they'll be useful:

1- If the player is a peasant without fame, the guards would not let him enter in the castles or important sites.  The only way to enter its get fame or join in to the group in control.

2-An adventure lord can send members of they forces to punish criminals, like a police boss or a judge. Punishments were typical: Mutilation, prison or death.

Sorry for the mistakes and the short post, but i speak spanish and i can not extend my messages without a lot of orthographic errors. Sorry, I can not say more of my idea, the words fail me.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guards and Punishment in Adv mode.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »

I have two ideas for the future implementation of guards and punishment in Adventure mode . I hope they'll be useful:

1- If the player is a peasant without fame, the guards would not let him enter in the castles or important sites.  The only way to enter its get fame or join in to the group in control.

2-An adventure lord can send members of they forces to punish criminals, like a police boss or a judge. Punishments were typical: Mutilation, prison or death.

Sorry for the mistakes and the short post, but i speak spanish and i can not extend my messages without a lot of orthographic errors. Sorry, I can not say more of my idea, the words fail me.

Rather basic suggestions really is all I can really say.  Let me see if I can expand on this thread.  ;)

1. The issue here is the level of security consciousness/paranoia/elitism the entity operates under.  An egalitarian site will likely grant everyone access to public spaces equally, an elitist site will restrict access to certain public spaces to important/power/well connected people.  A paranoid site will likely restrict access to certain public spaces to site members only while a trusting site will allow outsiders access to such spaces.  A security conscious civilization would require for instance that people who are not enlisted members of the militery/law enforcement drop their weapons before entering certain areas or would not allow them to touch certain items (like important documents).

2. I do not know why the adventure lord would necceserily be able to do whatever they heck they fancy to whoever without reprisal and/or mutiny.  The basic idea is definately planned, but there appears to be no check/drawback to outright tyranny in this suggestion.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:04:53 pm »

I'm fairly sure this would be part of planned stuff, especially Adventurer Role: Thief, where they don't permit random strangers from walking in and casing the joint. See the devplan.

Also, to respond to GoblinCookie, no nation, no matter how relaxed and egalitarian, is going to let a random blood-drenched stranger that is armed to the teeth to casually saunter within stabbing distance of their political leaders.  Likewise, there are trespassing laws for a reason.  Honestly, you could rip this system from Assassin's Creed, and just have "restricted zones" where you need invitation to enter without raising alarm.

In general, I would support a "suspicion" system, where you start out suspicious just for being a stranger until you prove yourself trustworthy, and simply being seen near where crimes are committed raises your suspicion until they eventually convict you simply because enough witnesses distrust you enough to bring testimony against you. (Conversely, "heroic acts", honest trading, and charitable actions can lower suspicion.)

As for the other, player sites may have some form of automated justice system. That said, it may very likely be that a "judge" will be a position that players will get to fill already in the current devplan sometime down the road, likely not that far down the road.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:59:30 pm »

This would be cool

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:27:20 am »

They should also like good bards."oh you think urist is a murderer just because he's covered in blood? he's such a good bard he can't possibly be a murderer, despite his human skin banjo."
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 02:39:32 pm »

They should also like good bards."oh you think urist is a murderer just because he's covered in blood? he's such a good bard he can't possibly be a murderer, despite his human skin banjo."

Hey, vampires walk into town struggling under 3 tons of human skull necklaces, then get immediately elected mayor...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:04:01 pm »

I'm fairly sure this would be part of planned stuff, especially Adventurer Role: Thief, where they don't permit random strangers from walking in and casing the joint. See the devplan.

Also, to respond to GoblinCookie, no nation, no matter how relaxed and egalitarian, is going to let a random blood-drenched stranger that is armed to the teeth to casually saunter within stabbing distance of their political leaders.  Likewise, there are trespassing laws for a reason.  Honestly, you could rip this system from Assassin's Creed, and just have "restricted zones" where you need invitation to enter without raising alarm.

In general, I would support a "suspicion" system, where you start out suspicious just for being a stranger until you prove yourself trustworthy, and simply being seen near where crimes are committed raises your suspicion until they eventually convict you simply because enough witnesses distrust you enough to bring testimony against you. (Conversely, "heroic acts", honest trading, and charitable actions can lower suspicion.)

As for the other, player sites may have some form of automated justice system. That said, it may very likely be that a "judge" will be a position that players will get to fill already in the current devplan sometime down the road, likely not that far down the road.

Correct, however there is a distinction there between the security in the sense you are describing and the situation where lowly peasants that belong to the entity in question are not allowed to enter public buildings at all because they are not important enough to risk meeting an important person.  If a society is highly security conscious and egalitarian both in it's values; then you would not need to have a high standing in order to meet the ruler but you would have to leave your weapon at the door.  If you have a society that is low on both security and elitism then you would be enter such public buildings armed (though some personal spaces in general should be restricted regardless).  If you have a society high on elitism but low on security you would be able to enter the buildings based solely upon your rank (or not based upon your rank).

Why this is important is that elitism is generally fixed regardless of the situation, security on the other hand goes up or down depending upon the situation.  If lots of people get killed at a site then security goes up and more areas are restricted to armed people.  Similarly depending upon the diplomatic situation in general; we could probably also add a modifier based upon how their entity feels about your entity in general.