Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blunt Weapons  (Read 723 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blunt Weapons
« on: April 05, 2016, 12:46:31 pm »

So I know that Silver is the best material to make blunt weapons out of (War Hammers and Maces).  Gold is not an available metal...however my weaponsmith just crafted an artifact gold War Hammer (which I didn't know was possible).  So is that best left for decoration or would it be "better" than a silver hammer in actual combat?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt Weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:56:45 pm »

Artifacts can be made out of any material.  They're special.

As for how effective a gold hammer is... well, I think gold is softer but heavier than silver.  So, maybe a toss-up.  Others would be better suited to answer this part.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »

Common answer
Steel = Silver < Gold < Platinum.
As far as I know, there's no downside to using these "soft" metals because durability isn't an issue.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:34:16 pm »

Truly, weapon material makes little difference in the outcome of a battle. I've yet to see fully-clad armored enemies and the pieces of armor my enemies wore were mostly bronze and copper with some iron and very rarely steel.

Much more important is the skill of your warriors and sending the right squad against the right enemy:
- Blunt weapons vs armored enemies
- Spears vs large enemies (FBs, etc...)
- Sharp weapons vs unarmored enemies

I would give the golden weapon to my militia commander just for the badassery of it all =D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:40:32 pm by Khalari »

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:46:40 pm »

Steel = Silver < Gold < Platinum < Badassery

FTFY

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 05:05:08 pm »

I thought spear for enemies with internal organs

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 05:29:24 pm »

I thought spear for enemies with internal organs

Everything has internal organs. But it's more effective to remove limbs on enemies your size with a  slashing weapon, because it makes it harder for them to fight back. Enemies larger than yourself however, will have larger limbs, and thus be harder to dismember.
Piercing weapons seem to work against Everything, at the cost of being less effective than either alternative against the things they excel at.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 05:41:41 pm »

Everything has internal organs.
Not sponges or inorganics (bronze collosi, [mineral] men, certain FBs.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:44:01 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 05:56:50 pm »

Everything has internal organs.
Not sponges or inorganics (bronze collosi, [mineral] men, certain FBs.)

Eh. Potato pototo. Creatures without internal organs also tend to resist the other weapon types for some reason or another.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 03:46:01 pm »

Your gold hammer should be a bit more effective than a silver one.