Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How 'Deep' will the philosophy in Dwarf Fortress be?  (Read 2526 times)

I haz no No Names

• Bay Watcher
  • *Former*BS12 Player
    • View Profile
How 'Deep' will the philosophy in Dwarf Fortress be?
« on: April 03, 2016, 02:39:01 am »

Hello DF community.

I'm going to ask a rather, abstract question.

With the new plans of books later on leading to philosophy, will we have the environment affect the said philosophy and later on the research of the Dwarves scientifically?

I'm interested in this due to the fact that I want to see how philosophy differences will play out, the effect on science, art, politics, economy, and religion.

For example, I'd like to see how different Philosophy leads to different methods of testing for research, (Example: Europe's scientific theory establishes the connection between an object and the person, Chinese science revolves around the link between a person and their entire surroundings, etc.)

If anyone is confused the question, I'll try to reword it as best I can. Sorry about my poor English, I haven't used it in a while.
沉舟侧畔千帆过,病树前头万木春。
-A sunken ship has had over a thousand (many) sails go past it, a sick (dead) tree has thousands of trees blossoming in front of it.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: How 'Deep' will the philosophy in Dwarf Fortress be?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 07:26:36 pm »

Hello DF community.

I'm going to ask a rather abstract question.

Along with books leading to philosophy, will the environment affect the said philosophy and, later on, the way the dwarves research?

I'm interested in this due to the fact that I want to see how philosophy differences will play out, the effect on science, art, politics, economy, and religion.

For example, I'd like to see how different philosophies lead to different methods of testing for research. (For example, Europe's scientific theory establishes the connection between an object and the person, Chinese science revolves around the link between a person and their entire surroundings, etc.)

If anyone is confused by the question, I'll try to reword it as best I can. Sorry about my poor English, I haven't used it in a while.

(being nice, not mean. English is awful.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:21:11 pm »

(Example: Europe's scientific theory establishes the connection between an object and the person, Chinese science revolves around the link between a person and their entire surroundings, etc.)

I imagine dwarven scientists would "establish the connection between an object and the person" by throwing an anvil to a human and see what happens at the moment both the anvil and the person are connecting.
Or understanding "the link between a person and their entire surroundings" by having the dwarven scientists remote/lever freeing a few caged dragons in the middle of an elven retreat.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:37:29 pm »

Seeing as theres a lack of art style, politics, economy and religion it's not really going to impact anything as of yet. Going to have to wait for most of that to be done to see what it'll do though magic might also play an effect.

I haz no No Names

• Bay Watcher
  • *Former*BS12 Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 09:45:00 am »

WAHHHHH! *Commits sucide!
沉舟侧畔千帆过,病树前头万木春。
-A sunken ship has had over a thousand (many) sails go past it, a sick (dead) tree has thousands of trees blossoming in front of it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 11:47:59 am »

With the new plans of books later on leading to philosophy, will we have the environment affect the said philosophy and later on the research of the Dwarves scientifically?
None of this is done yet, even the plans. The answer is probably yes but at first it won't be as good or as thorough as would make sense.

I think the effect will be very small.

Example: Europe's scientific theory establishes the connection between an object and the person
That doesn't sound accurate to me. What time period are you referring to? Where in Europe? Alternately, where did you hear this description of European science?

It's not perfect but it's better than a lot of folks and totally understandable.

I haz no No Names

• Bay Watcher
  • *Former*BS12 Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 03:59:20 am »

Example: Europe's scientific theory establishes the connection between an object and the person
That doesn't sound accurate to me. What time period are you referring to? Where in Europe? Alternately, where did you hear this description of European science?

It's from after or during the enlightenment. I have never been to Europe and only read about it in Chinese books. So the information may have been translated multiple times.

What I do understand in Chinese is that Chinese (ancient) philosophy and scientific method rely on ambiguous methods, not very clear cut definitions for the reader itself to understand after reading several times (By several I mean possibly 10+. In ancient Chinese anything above the number of two can imply the sense of ambiguity). Chinese ideas are most obviously reflected by Taoism (or Daoism for some). It is that we (In ancient China) view the entire relationship between a person and all of their surroundings. For example, in Feng Shui it says that the most ideal locations for buildings where you are facing a mountain and your back is to a river. Supposedly, it's will stop cold winds from the north from blowing over a lot. But the original Feng Shui doesn't go into spectacular detail on the issue. IT only became nuanced after detail after the adaptation of Western scientific method.
沉舟侧畔千帆过,病树前头万木春。

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 06:10:03 pm »

It's from after or during the enlightenment. I have never been to Europe and only read about it in Chinese books. So the information may have been translated multiple times.
I'm familiar with the basic ideas of Taoism, what you say is more or less the same as I've heard of Chinese science (at least the old-fashioned sort) before. But I haven't heard that description of European science, which tends to be fairly distinct from European philosophy. European science isn't about any relationship with the person, the person is not relevant. It's all about finding a subject or idea, based on other knowledge, and then testing that idea. Philosophy is more broad but mostly western philosophy is based on rules of logic, and arguing those rules and deriving conclusions from them is a large part of the field. The philosophy is about the person, based on the rules of logic, and not really related to connections with objects. Unless there is something I am misunderstanding, which is possible because I am not a scholar of philosophy.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 09:44:19 pm »

I expect something like this:

The Dwarf's Thoughts On Philosophy.

This is an ox leather-bound book on philosophy written by Urist Wastertime containing a 32-page treatise on the nature of philosophy.  In it, the dwarf Urist Wastertime and dwarves are arguing.  This commemorates the debate that took place in 403 in the Pulleys of Pulling regarding philosophy.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 02:09:11 pm »

Well, I would love it if those books actually made difference in the game. I would love to play as an engineer working for a king or something as I do this in real life, and in my spare time write treaties on engineering. It would have been great if those actually meant something in the world - for example allow more elaborate constructions to be built by engineers who read my book.

To think of it, perhaps it is not that hard to do. A book could add +x to the skill of the one who reads it and that would result in larger constructions supervised and planned by that individual.
Yes, I'm gay.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 04:47:13 pm »

Well, I would love it if those books actually made difference in the game. I would love to play as an engineer working for a king or something as I do this in real life, and in my spare time write treaties on engineering. It would have been great if those actually meant something in the world - for example allow more elaborate constructions to be built by engineers who read my book.

To think of it, perhaps it is not that hard to do. A book could add +x to the skill of the one who reads it and that would result in larger constructions supervised and planned by that individual.

The knowledge system is rather interesting, I was in a library and found  a book on artifacts, after my char read it I was able to write about old civilizations and artifacts myself.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com