Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 65321 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2016, 08:23:42 pm »

Holy crap.

For the Speech:
-Praise Joy for her determination and honesty, Redding for his experience, and Charlie for her tactics and her work as a general. Redding and Charlie will like that we legitimate their roles.
-Put emphasis on taking back the Duchy, and that we are all citizens of it. The other counties should be conquered, but not razed. This means no plundering other lands if possible. This is something directed to Charlie and her orcs.
-Discredit the Prince as a coward. We have to make his claim less legitimate.
-Say that we are going to pursue justice before vengeance, and that those counts who were tricked into following the prince will have the opportunity to turn back. Otherwise, they will meet the full extent of our force and be judged by their crimes.
-Close up with talking about the peace that will follow once we get through this, the modernization of the Duchy, and that we will honor Sylvester's memory of making this a better place for everyone.

With Tiv:
-Tell him to tell our mother to end a messenger as quickly as she can to tell the troops that the Marlowes are traitors and the Kinkaids are heping us. We have to prevent infighting.
-But off the soul from the elven thief and prostitute. Special undead should be sneaky!

Contact Father
Ask him to leave Sylverster's memory as intact as possible. We need his information.

Haggle with Yukprong for hexes instead of souls

+1

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2016, 02:40:31 am »

Oh right, also if Caddor is going to manage the potion business, why not give him a hex blessing of good business sense?

Also we can offer the leader of clan ape powerful demonic hex blessings in both water and the cold, allowing her to enhance her magic (maybe I guess?)

That might be a little extra frosting to ice the cake that Charlie certainly can not offer.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2016, 06:10:21 am »

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 19th Day:

Things get out of hand quickly at the rally when you step up to make your speech. Things go according to plan at first, as you open by praising Joy for her determination and honesty, and Redding for his experience serving your husband. When speak about Charlie, and her time and tactics as a military officer, you call her a 'general' in such a manner that one could reasonably interpret your words as naming the Countess to the highest military office in the duchy. Countess Kinkaid seizes the opportunity, marches up to you, kneels to lay her sword at your feet, and publicly accepts the office of general. The crowd, consisting largely of loyal Kinkaid troops and subjects, cheers.

You have just publicly stripped Glen Horton of his office and made the brilliant but crazy and questionably loyal Charlie Kinkaid your functional equal in military matters. To make matters worse, after giving such an endorsement, making any attempt to publicly criticize or call out Charlie's methods would seem indecisive at best and foolish at worst. Charlie rises, stands at your side, and lifts your hand into the air screaming "Long live the Duchess!"

The crowd erupts again, and finding yourself too shocked and flustered to continue your speech, you allow the rally to conclude on that note.

---

Your naming of Charlie Kinkaid to the office of general at least has some positive effects. As you walk back to the inn where she is staying while in town, you note she follows you closely, and makes a point to stand right behind you and off to your side. You suspect she thinks you actually intended to name her to the post, and as a result it seems that you have your new general's friendship and loyalty. You are sure this new respect is a fragile one, and will be quickly withdrawn if you move against Kinkaid interests.

The two of you dine in a private booth at the inn, and split a massive ostrich egg omlet. You start the conversation by mentioning that you wish to gain the pledges of Clans Ivy and Ape directly and not through the Kinkaids. To your mild surprise, your new general not only approves of the idea, but actually offers you advice on how to better control them. "I just knew you'd come to see things our way Maeris! Once you have a mighty clan answering to you, you will be unable to deny their utility."

"Chieftess Ape," she begins, "is enamored with the human gods and the structure and organization of their Priestly Orders. Let Joy do the talking for you, and have her lead with a discussion on theology and divine magic. If it goes well, the Chieftess will respect your daughter and be more prone to taking direct orders."

"Clan Ivy has actually been keeping tabs on you for awhile," Charlie explains, "they tell that since Sylvester beat us, they respect your bloodline more than ours. They also envy our close kinship with clan spear. I'm told the Chieftess has a plan to unite her clan in kinship with your bloodline, but it will only work if you are sufficiently powerful dark mage. Something about putting you under the eternal protection of her deity Trance. I don't understand how the dark magic stuff works, but perhaps you might want to practice a bit more openly for a spell."

You consider Charlie's words for a second, and try to figure out what that plan could be. Your best guess is that Clan Ivy would offer employment and protection under Trance should you choose to ascend to demonhood. Sadly, you are not a manifestation, and are not sure if you are willing to put yourself through the months of phyiscal and emotional torment required to become one - you certainty don't have time to do so any time soon. If that is their plan, however, Dean would surely work in your place.

While on the topic of dark magic, you next offer to spread some minor demonic blessings around Charlies troops. You explain they will come with minor non-combat related curses. Charlie indicates that she is fine with that before informing you that her elite troops and officers are staying in the same inn as her. She recommends asking around for volunteers, and suggests that she will be in town for another four or five days before setting off.

You conclude the meeting by telling Charlie to regularly declare loyalty to the crown, and to keep pillaging to a minimum for the time being. She protests at first, until you point out that since we expect the crown to act against us, behaving until then makes our case against them more damning when the do.

With Charlie on board with you taking over some mighty clans, you don't particularly need messengers - she can do it. You might still consider employing them for faster results. You might also want to reduce your share in Peat's busniess either way - you suspect his comment that extortion would foul up the bargain could be a real concern and not just the price of his messenger service.

---

Before leaving the inn, you pull Redding aside for a private conversation. Your first order of business is to make sure you and him are on the same page. You reassure him not none of your other children would want the title, and that Joy is more than willing to share power with him when she obtains it. Redding agrees, and then brings up the heart of the issue to him.

"Maeris, you are not that much older than me," he explains, "and I hang around battlefields far more often than I should. There is a very real chance you outlive me in the end. I have nothing against you, but I don't want to live the rest of my life competing with you for political influence and Joy's affection. I'd feel much better about the situation if we could come up with some sort of arrangement that moves you out of the household once you are ready to give up power to Joy. Perhaps you can marry my father if he is loyal, or take over his county if he is not."

He sighs deeply. "But any problem we have doesn't matter in the end if we loose this little skirmish, and I think we are hurting our chances if we are both playing political games without informing each other. We need lay our cards on the table."

Pulling out a piece of parchment from his robe, Redding takes a deep breath before continuing. "Look, the Kinkaids don't know this, but I own a 33% share in the mercenary company they use as couriers. Any particularly important message they send, I get a copy of. I know you talked her out of trying to kill me after that meeting. I think you need to see this."

He slides the parchment to you, and upon examination, it is another transcript of the exact same letter to the mayor Wednesday provided you. "She wanted to kill your son Maeris. When she would have asked me to accompany her, I would have declined in such a way to subtly let on I had read this letter. This would lead her to turning on Gregory, thinking he leaked information, and then I would have gone to her in private to make nice and prevent her from trying to kill me some other way and possibly even get Gregory's job for myself. That whole treaty, declaring Joy Duchess but leaving much power with myself, was crafted to move Charlie's crosshairs from Dean to myself. I had no clue your plan was to suck up to her and get her to just hand over the mayor's leash."

Redding offers you his hand to shake. "We could end up undoing each other's hard work if we don't keep each other informed of our movements. After today's little debacle, it is clear you are in charge for the moment, so I will defer to you if our plans conflict."

With that out of the way, Redding gives you a quick rundown of his political maneuvering.

Redding's Active Schemes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After hearing the update, you quiz Redding on the stance of his family, and ask if he would be willing to help win them over. Your son-in-law has no way to be sure, but figures putting his descendants in charge of the duchy is one of the few things Ernie would be willing to risk everything on. He suggests that Count Strongcurrent may try to haggle or impose terms for his support, but should be on your side in the end.

Redding then informs you that he was planning on traveling back home once The Silver Shrieks, the mercenary company he personally prefers to fight and travel alongside, get back into town from a mission into the jungle. He guesses that would mean two to three weeks of waiting, which might be enough time for Ernie to catch wind of Joy becoming heir and send his own emissaries. He adds that he would be willing to leave and visit his father sooner if you would assign him some of the orcs attached to Groghall as protection.

Ugg... to tired to finish up everything I wanted to write. Or even proofread. For next turn, finalize any dealings with the demons, any messages you want to send to the Orcs beyond the general 'you pledge aid, we lift ban', and actions for the next week or so. I know some of this as already been touched on, so please re-post any still-relevant suggestions you wanted to see for this turn that I didn't get to.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2016, 08:04:16 am »

This gets more and more interesting:

With Charlie:
-Tell her to arrange meetings with those two clans. Joy will be leading the one with Chieftess Ape, but we will still be present. Dean and us will be on the meeting with the Ivy.
-Tell her that we will work on the Strongcurrents and the Gulfs to switch sides, and that she should focus on defeating the Marlowes.
-Ask her to explain the hexing stuff to her troops for us. They will trust more in her than us.

With Redding:
-Shake his hand. We agree on the whole trust thing between us. We are on the same boat.
-Explain that we don't want the power right now. We want to avenge our husband, and take back the Duchy. Redding has proven resourceful, and his talents will complement those of our daughter. We will not attempt to keep power once we have succeeded.
-Explain that we already knew that Dean was a target and that's why we didn't keep him present at the meeting.
-Tell him of our accomplishments in these days:
We took control of the potion cartel in the city.
We can import illegal powder weapons if we want.
We can contact those famous thieves if we want.
We have a contact inside clan Ape.
We are in touch with the local dark mages.
-Offer Redding an alternate solution to the ferry problem: take over their bussiness, the same way we did with the potion cartel. Wednesday could also help in assassinations or gathering information if necessary. Explain that we control the mayor, so we can both have free transport, and a share of the whole cartel if we want.

I don't know what to do about the mercenary company under Marlowe. Maybe it could be better if they communicate less, but remain there in case we need somebody behind enemy lines.

As for the other suggestions:

Work with the goblin hexers to organize the potion bussiness

Send Mackie's Children to Chieftain Foot.

Ask from Zeph a handful of strong aura masking potions We could need them in case of inquisitorial interference or something.

With Tiv:
-Tell him to tell our mother to send a messenger as quickly as she can to tell the troops that the Marlowes are traitors and the Kinkaids are heping us. We have to prevent infighting.
-Buy off the soul from the elven thief and prostitute. Special undead should be sneaky!

Contact Father
Ask him to leave Sylverster's memory as intact as possible. We need his information.

Addition: if father can just leave Sylvester as intact as possible, I'd rather go for that. If I have to choose, I choose memory over everything else.

Also, I guess that our chat with Yuk never happened, after knowing this. This means that we never asked for its hex, or anything, I guess.

Another suggestion:

Accept Peat's friendly proposition of that 10% share, and remove his curse. We want a good standing among the Ape clan.

I won't talk about the other players' suggestions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2016, 08:06:26 am »

Why can we have only one General?

More Generals is better.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2016, 08:08:53 am »

I'm assuming General is an official title meaning master of military matters, but we can have several commanders, each leading their army and working independently, whilst being subordinate to to the General.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2016, 08:20:48 am »

Oh, and a final, and important suggestion:

Fact check with Peat about what Charlie said about Chieftess Ape. Just to be on the safe side.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2016, 12:42:14 am »

-Ask her to explain the hexing stuff to her troops for us. They will trust more in her than us.
We can probably explain the hexes (and blessings) better than she can.

For that matter, we should really bless our general unless she objects. Maybe giving her a better "sense" of the battlefield, almost like it's her body. That'd likely be the most useful kind of blessing to someone who's already a brilliant insane general.

When asking for volunteers, we should explain and let them choose their curses/blessings as well as possible. I believe we can mix and match between Tiv and his underlings, so we can (I think) provide improved sword skill for every two fears of water, or a fearsome visage in exchange for needing to eat fire to feel warm, or improved battlefield aggression in exchange for a compulsion to torture captives, and so on.

Advise Redding to pull out the mercs. We're a dark mage, if we want a place infiltrated we can produce insidious vampires to do so for us. Better to keep his contacts nice and healthy.

Negotiate with the demon. We should be able to pull his rates down to standard-ish, and if not we'll probably learn something about its disposition and negotiating abilities. If that doesn't work (or makes things worse) just send a messenger to Clan Ivy directly. We should send a messenger to Clan Ape while we're at it; speed could be handy and we've already got an offer from Peat.

Buy the elven thief/prostitute soul. It's a poor trade for our dear Sylvester, but three-for-ones wait for no woman and we could use a sneaky minion.

Mention to the orcs that we'd like to get them set up in Gulf County. Their rulers are loyal to us but can't stand up for themselves, so hosting a pair of orc tribes would make for a perfect fit. Depending on the nature of their troop restrictions, we might even be able to weasel past it with orcish soldiers and/or mercs, or brute-force past it by pointing out that they can hardly do anything to stop any orcs that feel like living there.

Cut our share to a 10% tribute from Peat, and spend some of the week reorganizing his business and seeing if there's additional profit to be made bringing in goblin hexxers.

Speaking of potioners, see if we can get some of our cut over the coming week rather than in a lump sum at the end of the month, and if so offer to buy Foot's book collection. Explain our relatively cozy financial situation and let him adjust the price from there; we still can't afford to pay him what it's worth, but we can do a whole lot better than 1500 silver. We can even trade credit or favors if he'd like to seal the deal for an amount of money we won't have for a while.

Get in touch with Gregory and ask about the crime and justice situation in town. Specifically, we have a vested interest in hexing people and advice to practice dark magic a little more openly. Publicly cursing criminals instead of lashings or imprisonment or whatever they normally do could be a productive side activity over the coming week. Bonus points if the curses actually make them less likely to perform crime, ie fear of illegal activities or something.

Not an action, but we seem to have more or less confirmed Syzzik is into us. How much of that is romantic and how much political is a little harder to say, of course.

Goals for next time: Oops, we pissed off Glen Horton. We're gonna have to find a way to make it up to him... which is going to be hard, given that the only thing we know he wants is blind rage against every current Count except his family's sworn enemy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2016, 10:20:05 am »

(Okay. I don't want to wait for debate. I'm ready to write now. Where the suggestions of IronyOwl and Tomcost conflict, I'll roll.)

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 19th Day:

You ask Charlie to arrange the meetings between you and the leaders of Clans Ape and Clan Ivy. Your general responds by assuring you that she will instruct her son to do just that. She then advises you to be ready to receive dignitaries from Clan Ape in as as soon as six weeks, and dignitaries from Clan Ivy in about two months. She then adds that she will try to get the bulk of the troops from Ivy and Ape moving in the meantime, to take down Riverland Crossing; Charlie informs you that until the crossing is under friendly control, the only way for Orcs to enter or exit the Duchy en mass is by using the ferries in town, and advises that trying to get the combined forces of four mighty clans across by ferry would take months.

Next you ask Charlie to explain your hexing services to her troops for you, as you suspect they will trust her more. She reluctantly agrees to do what she can, noting that she is going to be fairly busy trying to round up mercenaries, but will try to find you some volunteers

Lastly, you instruct Charlie to focus her attention on defeating the Marlowes, as you intend to win the other two counties through diplomacy. She agrees to this, but reminds you that your forces are in no position to try and launch an offensive until the mighty clans show up.

---

You shake Reddings hand, assure him that you have no intent to hold onto power once you win back what is yours and avenge Sylvester, and share your own schemes with him. Your son-in-law listens intently, and is mostly impressed with your efforts. He does offer a tiny bit of feedback, however. His biggest concern is that the mercenaries he works with, including some of his closest friends and business partners, all despise the potion cartel with a passion, so he suggests keeping your involvement discrete lest your involvement complicate things for him. He then suggests you get him logistical information on the powder weapon supplier; Assuming the guns are smuggled in through Port County, and the intelligence of his family can be won, getting the authorities to turn a blind eye towards or even support your importer would be a simple task.

He turns down your offer to use Gregory to break up the potion cartel. The biggest issue is that many of the ferrymen live in shacks on the other side of the river, out of the mayor's reach. He also notes that one of his business partners his handling the assassinations, and that his role in the operation is to oversee the expansion of the local ferry industry once they have been done away with.

---

You briefly summarize the situation in Silver County, and request that Tivavarav pass this along to your mother in hopes that it is not to late to send a messenger to the troops she sent. The demon agrees to do so.

Next you inform him that you will purchase the soul of the elf prepared for Ghoulhood, and Tivavarav bids you to step into the summoning circle to complete the transaction. Once in the circle, you establish a link between your physical location and that of your business partner, and set the link to allow physical passage of objects smaller than yourself. Tivavarav's hand, about half the size of your body, appears before you and grabs you by your right leg, and with touch established, the demon guides you in weaving the Hex of the soon-to-be ghoul into your own soul. The process takes around twenty seconds, and once complete Tivavarav withdraws his hand from the cricle, exchanges farewells with you, and vanishes from the Projection Stage.

---

You contact your father, who as it turns out was worried sick about you. After assuring him that you are okay, and explaining the situation, you get to the business of your husband's soul. Sylvester is being prepared to be raised as a Mummy, a state of undeath that has the ability to command lesser undead, suffer less from curses, and pass along a copy of any curse it is suffering via touch. He has pushed most of his other projects aside so as to have the soul prepared in time for your birthday without sacrificing the precision required to almost perfectly maintain your husband's memory, personality, and skills.

He then notes that he has the spare soul-bits required to give your husband advanced knowledge in Archery, Dwarven Alchemy, Druidism, Hex Weaving, the Exotic Lore of Titan Rock, and/or Engineering. Gungor reckons that he can tack one of these skills on and still have Sylvester ready in time for your birthday, and could add as many as three in that timeframe if he worked quickly and sacrificed some of your husband's personality.

Gungor then offers to come to Redleaf Duchy and aid you in person once he catches up on his workload. He reckons his boss would let him contract himself out to his own daughter at the rate of 4-5 souls a month, and would let him spend up to two months on contract in the mortal realm. You rather supposes he will be caught up enough to make the trip in five to six months, but notes that if he puts the Sylvester project to the side, he would be ready around your birthday.

As an Incorporeal Mist Fiend, Gungor would be completely impervious to almost every form of assault, but frighteningly vulnerable to holy and air magics to the point where even a moderately skilled practitioner in those arts might stand a chance at permanently destroying him. Mist Fiends like your father are known for for rendering the air in enclosed spaces toxic at will, which allows them to easily slaughter buildings full of people. They can also trap victims, with just a touch, in an unending state of uneasy sleep that can only be cured by a particularly skilled potion master or a divine caster in the service of a god that grants spells relating to healing or sleep. Your father is also a highly skilled water-elementalist and Dark Mage, and you are sure his ascent to demonhood has further enhanced his magical powers.

---

You start haggling with Yukprong, and as you do so you explain who you are. The Demon pauses to reconsider his offer...

"Hrmmm... The Chieftess wants to talk with you. I might be rewarded for getting you in touch... But I'm not going to do you a favor for free... I'll tell you what. Lets get my mistress a new puppet. Mark somebody twice with my hex, as strongly as possible. Make them compliant to the will of my mistress and her greater followers, and infatuated with the idea of demons meddling with their soul. Do that, and I will pass along all the messages you want."

He allows you to give him your message now, and promises to deliver as soon as payment is received. You then inquire about other services that he offers, and Yukprong informs you that he infrequently does business with Dark Mages, but that his primary job is to acquire and nurture half-demons, and mortals can play a role in this. He is willing to pay souls to worthy mothers, those who are high-born or particularly skilled in magic, willing to bear him offspring, and also has lesser servants who are less selective and willing to serve Dark Mages in exchange for a mate.

Less disturbingly, he has many young half-demons looking for an apprenticeship contract. Yukprong explains that to take an apprenticeship contract, you have to take a Hex from a demon in the Trance organization of his choosing as collateral, which he will activate if he feels you are not putting in enough work to teach the apprentice the skills it desires to learn. Until they prove themselves, Yukprong only allows each mortal master one apprentice. In exchange for providing an education, the master gets the servitude of his/her apprentice for as long as they feel they have more to teach it, but unlike most summoning contracts, an apprentice has the right to refuse orders that it believes endanger its life.

You note that taking a Hex as collateral would likely put you in touch with another one of Trance's demonic minions, and if you are feeling sneaky, you could try to bargain for a cheaper message to clan Ivy with that demon.

Yukprong's Stock:

Choose what message you want to pass along once Yukprong is paid. As long as you make payment within a month, this message should beat Charlie's messenger.

---

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 20th Day:

Monday

First thing in the morning, you send messengers to the potion brewers that you would like payment weekly as opposed at the end of the month. You also request several strong Aura Masking potions from Zeph.

Wendle Kinkaid leaves to deliver messages to the mighty clans in the late morning.

You and Caddor then pay a visit to Mogpan, Peat's place of business. Heeding Redding's advice to keep your connection to the cartel quiet, you come wearing a turban and commoner garb. You tell the Orc that you accept his offer and will be reducing your share in his business to ten percent. When you shake his hand to seal the deal, you unweave the fear curse you had placed on him. You then add that you and your goblin friend will be sticking around for awhile to help make his business more profitable.

If you want to send a specific message to Clan Ape, let Peat know now. Otherwise Wendle will send you their dignitaries and try to temporarily co-opt their troops to capture Riverland crossing.

Caddor gets to work performing an indepth audit of the business, while you observe the brew-room with your well trained eye for the craft. By the end of the day you spot a clear problem: the brewers themselves.

You note that Peat is easily better at potion brewing than you are, and that is taking into account the fact that he is likely holding back in your presence so as not to reveal closely guarded clan secrets. The Head Orc, however, spends much more of his time running his business than he does brewing, and his other five brewers are sub-par. Four of them are younger Orcs who are clearly inexperienced; You suspect that they lack formal training and were chosen for the job based on kinship to Peat, and the fifth brewer, an ancient female named Palm, confirms this for you when asked. Palm seems to be at around your skill level as a potion brewer, but in her hands shake in advanced age, causing her to constantly break flasks and spill easily bruised ingredients. To make matters worse, Palm despises the four younger brewers, and blatantly works to sabotage their brews.

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 21st Day:

Tuesday

You spend the morning at Mogpan, getting your hands dirty in the brew room and trying to teach the four younger brewers how it is done. By the time lunch break rolls around, the four have all improved noticeably, but you suspect this relates more to their utter lack of previous training than your skill as a teacher.

After lunch, Peat closes the shop early. It turns out today is a major feast day of Viper, the Orcish deity of potions and brewers. A small ceremony is thrown in the back room, at which all the non-brewing members of Peat's staff are made to present all the brewers of gifts of mead and liquor. After gifts are presented, Peat becomes furious; At Caddor for not bringing the brewers gifts, and at everybody else for not bringing you gifts. He starts threatening to cut off tongues and private bits until you spike his drink with an euphoria potion. Like all Orcish holy ceremonies, this event quickly devolves into a pure festival of booze and debauchary. Caddor, the only individual in the building who remained sober, drags you back home when one of the janitors starts propositioning you.

Back at Groghall, you sober up in time to answer a summons to Charlie's inn just after dinner. You arrive to find around seventy nine brave soldiers who have volenteered to receive your Hexes. You give them each Tivavarav's curse of soul claiming, as well as another minor debuff, in exchange for a powerful blessing such as skill with the sword or immunity to fear. By the time you finish, it is quite late.

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 21st Day:

Wednesday

You have an early appointment with Mayor Rothwell, at which you discuss the criminal justice system. Usually minor criminals are just held at guard station until they either pay Gregory a bribe, or the mayor gets tired of paying for their meals, at which point they are sentenced to time served. You note that you are considering practicing the black arts a bit more openly, and that you may wish to incorporate this into the justice system. Gregory nervously informs you that as reigning Duchess, you have the right to walk into the guard station at your leisure and try the case of any criminal held there. He also offers to arrange public trials at the town square for the prisoners on hand, which you may preside over, if given two days notice.

At Mogpan, most of the younger potion brewers are still at home recovering from yesterday's party, which leaves you ample opportunity to talk to Palm. You learn that she is actually Chieftess Ape's aunt, and also Peat's mother. When Peat, who you learn has an overwhelming preference for young women of the fairskined races and had never bedded an Orc in his life, was ordered to mate with his mother as part of a selective breeding regime, he appealed to his cousin the Chieftess, who assigned them both to the dangerous role of agents in the human lands as an alternative, without first consulting Palm. As a result, the old orc admits to resenting her son, his business, and pretty much everything else in life.

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 22nd Day:

Thursday

It is a busy day at Mogpan. You arrive to find Peat taking stock of several animal carcasses his hunters brought him. He begins to theorize and scheme about the potions he can make with them, and at one point asks you for an opinion. When you answer that you know hardly anything about brewing with animal parts, Peat offers to teach you.

Throwing his business interests aside for the day, Peat brings you into his office, where he keeps a private still, and begins to try and teach you orcish brewing. You find the lesson difficult to keep up with, in part because the subject matter is difficult; The few humans who practice meat brewing have to use thick volumes of charts and formulas while they work. It dosn't help that Peat is moving way to fast for you; You have heard the rumors of bloodlines within Clan Ape to whom the art of brewing potions comes as naturally as walking or breathing, and your new business partner is clearly living evidence that at least a grain of truth exists to them. He just assumes you know things that you do not, or that you solve problems as quickly as he does, which makes trying to keep up with him nearly impossible.

The day's lesson is interrupted twice. First by Syzzik, who stops by to discuss stock and logistics with Peat. He expresses regret that you have not stopped in to continue your lessons in gun play and asks what you are doing at Mogpan. When you explain that you are trying to help Peat run his business better, and that your goblin friend is conducting an audit, the foreigner tracks down Caddor to tell him what he knows of the Orc's business practices.

The second interruption comes from Peat's men, who ran a sweep of the market and caught three people trying to sell potions beneath cartel prices. The first is a drunken dwarf mercenary who whipped out a healing potion and beligerantly tried to sell it to Peat's men for a single silver, clearly he was just provoking them. The second is a lowborn human merc who had bought a few potions in Orc lands for the journey back home, and was just trying to get rid of his extras. The third man, a merchant, you know as the bastard son of Baron Teal, one of Sylvester's minor vassals in Cleanriver County who you assume is now taking orders from the prince. The young man calls you out as the Duchess, and curses you for fraternizing with a monster like Peat.

Peat, seemingly a bit too happy to have the opportunity to kill, calls for his axe, but you order him to stop, saying that you would rather use dark magic to punish their transgressions. You order them sent to the basement of Groghall and bound while they await your judgement. You don't think that any of them deserve death, but you note that letting the bastard live would likely make your involvement in the cartel public.

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 23rd Day:

Friday

Charlie Kinkaid visits Groghall to meet you first thing in the morning. She informs you that she has gathered enough men, and intends to march on Riverland Crossing this evening. She still seems genuinely friendly and loyal, and has a couple a favorable offers to help legitimize your reign.

First, she would like to know if you would object to her son Dublin traveling to Groghall to court your affection. You know a bit about the potential suitor in question; Dublin is in his late thirties, and like yourself a single parent. He is a member of the inquisition, which would make him a valuable asset in hunting down dark mages to bring under your control, but also dangerous should he turn against you. Like most inquisitors he is skilled in divine magic that focuses on identifying, negating, and destroying practitioners of illegal magic, and fighting with the crossbow. He has a reputation for being a bit of a doormat; He was the only one of Charlie's children, out of those old enough, not to lead troops in the war against your husband, and he more or less gave his first wife his blessing to run away with her mistress to Titan Rock.

You note that Sylvester would roll over in his grave if you were to slap Kinkaid at the end of your name, and that you will likely receive all sorts of interesting offers for you hand should it look like you are coming close to winning back the Duchy, but allowing somebody to court you is far from the same thing as agreeing to marry them.

Next, she offers to set you up with a Court Mage, High Priest, Master-at-Arms, and Steward, noting that you would seem much more like a proper ruler with all the important court roles filled. You are sure you could fill all those roles on your own in time if you tried, but the Kindaid Family is nothing if not large and skilled enough to help.

Charlie also adds that if you ever need funds or a couple hundred trustworthy non-mercenary troops, that you should feel free to write Edward Taft, the Steward of Riverwatch, who she has instructed to be of assistance to you wherever he can.

As the day rolls on, each of your business partners sends a messenger with payment for you. Peat dosn't bother sending any documentation with his bundle of silver coins and bars, but you doubt he would cheat you. The other two combined claim to have sent you 6800 Silver, but you can't know for sure if they are being honest unless you get somebody to count it. Zeph's delivery woman also brings three gallon-and-a-half jugs of aura masking potion: easily enough to keep your aura under wraps for six months or so.

You and your family spend the evening on a hill just out side of town, watching your forces march out of town, following the river East to Riverland Crossing. It will take about four days for the men to march the distance, but once Charlie gets set up there, you should be able to send messages by horseback in significantly less time.

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 24th Day:

Saturday

While Caddor remains at Mogpan, wrapping up his audit, you and Mackie spend part of the morning counting out 1000 Silver, which you set aside in case you should need it, before summoning Chieftain Foot. You show him the silver, and tell him that it is at least 5800. The two of you haggle for a bit, and he eventually agrees to sell you the library for the cash present and two reasonable favors that he may call in later. After shaking on the deal, Foot invites you to send some of the Groghall Orcs to his apartment to gather the books when it is convenient, before leaving with his silver.

You then join Caddor at Mogpan, and spend some more time brewing with and teaching his younger employees while the goblin finishes up his work. One of the young brewers, a half-breed named Hilltops who claims to be Peat's daughter, is picking up on your lessons especially fast. As the day approaches its end, she approaches you and states that she would like to quit the shop and become your student if you would have her, although she is afraid her father might hurt her when he hears her decision.

When you arrive home, Caddor formally presents his Audit to you, which lists all of Mogpan's failings and the amount each costs the business monthly.

Audit Summary

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 25th Day:

Sunday

Although you hadn't planned on dealing with Peat and Company today, the Orc shows up at Groghall. After you scold him for showing up without a disguise, Peat gets on a knee and offers you his most sincere thanks. Perhaps unable to think like a business oriented human, your partner thinks you have been helping him out of friendship and the kindness of your heart.

To show his gratitude, his gives you a glass bottle full of black liquid, and informs you that it is a Clan Ape secret formula that he brewed up at great personal expense (the main ingredient being rare Kracken Ink). He explains that Caddor told him that there would be a birth in your household in the near future, so he took the liberty of making this for the baby. Supposedly, if a newborn is forced to drink the contents of the bottle before taking its first sip of mother's milk, its potential for Divine Magic will be greatly increased. If this is true, it could yield one hell of a Priest: Joy herself is good enough to be part of a Priestly Order, and the Strongcurrent bloodline has produced some powerful divine casters as well.

While you have him present, and are on the topic of divine magic, you ask him if what Charlie Kinkaid said about Chieftess Ape, and her fascination with human priestly orders, is true. He answers in the affirmative, stating that she once brewed a temporary sex change potion, which you know costs several hundred thousand silver in ingredients alone, just so she could make a member of the Steel Sisterhood father one of her children.

Over the course of the week, you have noted that your daughter Fortune has been making friends with two of the mercenaries from Caiman Swarm. You are happy that your daughter is coming out of her shell, but also a bit worried as most of the people outside the family Fortune allows herself to befriend are not long for this world. Fortune invites the two to the grand table to dine with your family tonight.

The pair, a lowborn human named Dunlap from a hamlet just outside Cleanriver Castle, and a Harpy named Greywing, are clearly romantically involved. Dean calls them out on the strange relationship, and Dunlap confesses. Greywing adds that the Orcish Clans are the only ones who accept their union, and they have two offspring being raised by the clan childminders. Redding opens his mouth to mock them, but Fortune tells him to shut up, ominously stating that "everybody deserves to have the delusion that they wont die alone."

2334th Year of Man, 4th Month, 26th Day:

Monday

You had planned to return to Mogpan today, and start implimenting changes based on Caddor's audit, but your plans are quickly changed when an agent from the Knifehouse sends word that your wight Watcher is waiting for you there.

Changing hurriedly from the disguise you use to visit the cartel, to a proper outfit fit for a duchess to hit town in (having decided to practice dark magic more openly, you decide there is no real reason to hid your association with the Goblins), you make your way to the basement of the restaurant, where you find your creation waiting for you.

"M'mlady..." he begins without making eye contact, "I heard the news awhile ago. My apologies that it took me this long to track you down. I have come to... um... make sure you are okay, to deliver my monthly report, and see if these recent happenings have changed your agenda involving the local members of your... community."

You try your hardest not to laugh at Watcher. As a respectable gentleman, he feels like a horrid monster such as himself has no right to be in the presence of a lady such as you. You rarely deal with him in person, but doing so gives you a sick guilty pleasure.

"Look me in the eye, Watcher, your mistress orders it... there. Now give me your report."

The wight stammers for a few seconds, before producing his document, and reading it aloud to you.

Watcher's Report for the 3rd Month:

After listening to Watcher's report you ask him about the corruior Tyger, and where he can be found. The Wight explains there is a ruined tower in King's Road County where shrines to several elven gods are kept, and the quickest way to get a hold of Tyger is to leave a message with the priest there. Since you don't expect to make it to King's Road County anytime soon, you ask watcher to send Tyger your way at the next opportunity he gets.

Watcher is ready and willing to impose your will upon the Dark Mages of the Duchy.

When you return to Groghall, you find Chieftain Gruel waiting. The Orc explains that his men have arrived, but because a bunch of the ferrymen were recently assassinated, they can't make it across the river, so he will instead cross to them on his own canoe. He apologizes for not being of more help right away, but that an allied clan was having a problem and he had already agreed to help them before catching wind of Sylvester's death. He suspects he will be back in three to four months, hopefully with many warriors to pledge to your cause. He encourages you to make yourself at home in Groghall, and wishes you best of luck with what is to come.

Just before bedtime, Chieftain Foot returns. You had sent him each of Mackie's children to examine, and he has the results of his tests. Mackie's oldest daughter, 18 year old Shelly, and her 10 year old son Tim, each have the potential to become proper divine casters. Her 15 year old girl Hannae also has limited potential, and might be able to pick up a few tricks. He would be willing to train either Shelly or Tim in the divine magic of any of the 18 Orcish Gods, but notes his prices have risen above his previous offer of 'food and rent', so negotiation would be required.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:39 am »

Duchess Maeris Bonedust Riverland:
Geopolitical Situation:

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2016, 12:16:43 pm »

I so love this game.

Okay, let's see:

Message for Yuk: (if you have something better, please say so.)
We have heard about their interest, and we are interested in turn. We want them to support our cause, and we can support them in turn.
Keep it vague. We won't commit to demonic slavery. I don't know about Dean, but I don't like it too much.

Swear to never ever drink again in presence of lowborns.

Arrange with the Mayor a secret regime for criminals
Petty criminals will have a part of their clothing removed and sent to us so that we can curse them with fear of crime. This should help the city. We want, alongside the clothing, a brief report of who the criminal is and the crime commited, just in case.
For important crime like murder, we will also curse them (for soul stealing purposes, something that we won't tell Gregory) and preside quick public trials for them, and order them executed by hanging (hanging leaves bodies pretty much intact). We will decide if we keep the bodies, if they have any kind of exceptional attribute (like being really strong, or particularly beautiful).

With the prisoners:

-Interrogate the merchant for what he knows about the orcish lands. Nothing too severe. Curse him with Tiv's memory loss of this event and let him go.
-Ask the mercenary if he knows about anything fishy in the city, the standing of the Kinkaids in the region, anything. Give him the same treatment as the merchant afterwards.
-Interrogate the bastard about the political situation, and about the Prince. Use curses as necessary. If Caddor can help to make him talk, call him, but tell him to leave his body as intact as possible. After he is of no more use to us, curse him with the soul-stealing curse, kill him in a non-invasive way (like poison), and reanimate him with the wight soul.

Send the Groghall orcs to move the library, but also send someone competent to oversee that it is done properly. Maybe send Tempest, I don't know.

Do not object to Dublin courting us, but do not give Charlie hope. If the guy is so dull, maybe we can easily use him for our needs.

Hear Charlies' offers for the Court personnel. Do not make any promises.

Fixing Peat's bussiness:
As we can't just fire people, nepotism be damned, we need to reorganize some thing:
-Have Peat and Palm oversee the brewing and teach the brewers, and have someone else at the counter. Maybe Hilltops. We should ask her to be polite with everybody. This also keeps Palm away from the flasks.
-Ask Peat if he could plan what kinds of animals he needs to brew, and then ask his hunters about what he needs to hunt. Maybe make him take stock of what he needs, and plan based on that.
-See if we can find some work for the extra staff. Maybe ask the Mayor if they need some strong orcs in some position or another.

I will continue with these suggestions when I have more time. I still have to think what to tell the dark mages.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2016, 12:39:29 pm »

Remove Palm from brewer duty,  and assign her to management and paperwork. This way she doesn't waste ingredients and prevents her sabotage of the other brewers. Then Peat can focus on brewing and teaching his subordinates.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:35 pm »

Tell the watcher to say to the Dark mages (excluding Dougpo) that the current political situation of the Duchy is forcing sides to take measures that were not used before. And that those who oppose the prince are resorting to dark magic. This means that if that side wins, they will be more protected in the Duchy, and will have more freedom in practicing their arts. The oficial stance of the dark mages must thus be against the prince.

Ask Dean to find a demon that can be useful to Nezbit. If we can somehow send the information, do so.

Also ask Dean to find a demon related to messages, a neutral party to not involve Tiv into this bussiness. Ideally, we could use projection stages to communicate easily between dark mages, and a neutral demon would keep our identity a secret if we want.

Remove Palm from brewer duty,  and assign her to management and paperwork. This way she doesn't waste ingredients and prevents her sabotage of the other brewers. Then Peat can focus on brewing and teaching his subordinates.

Better than what I thought. +1

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2016, 06:52:50 pm »

Tell the watcher to say to the Dark mages (excluding Dougpo) that the current political situation of the Duchy is forcing sides to take measures that were not used before. And that those who oppose the prince are resorting to dark magic. This means that if that side wins, they will be more protected in the Duchy, and will have more freedom in practicing their arts. The oficial stance of the dark mages must thus be against the prince.

Ask Dean to find a demon that can be useful to Nezbit. If we can somehow send the information, do so.

Also ask Dean to find a demon related to messages, a neutral party to not involve Tiv into this bussiness. Ideally, we could use projection stages to communicate easily between dark mages, and a neutral demon would keep our identity a secret if we want.

Better than what I thought. +1
1+

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2016, 01:51:19 am »

I so love this game.

Okay, let's see:

Message for Yuk: (if you have something better, please say so.)
We have heard about their interest, and we are interested in turn. We want them to support our cause, and we can support them in turn.
Keep it vague. We won't commit to demonic slavery. I don't know about Dean, but I don't like it too much.

+1 but see below

Swear to never ever drink again in presence of lowborns.

Human lowborn maybe, but why would we not want to have a party with orcs?

Arrange with the Mayor a secret regime for criminals
Petty criminals will have a part of their clothing removed and sent to us so that we can curse them with fear of crime. This should help the city. We want, alongside the clothing, a brief report of who the criminal is and the crime commited, just in case.
For important crime like murder, we will also curse them (for soul stealing purposes, something that we won't tell Gregory) and preside quick public trials for them, and order them executed by hanging (hanging leaves bodies pretty much intact). We will decide if we keep the bodies, if they have any kind of exceptional attribute (like being really strong, or particularly beautiful).

-1 there is not hiding and there is flaunting, putting the entire city/dutchy under control with hex based fear is way too far.

With the prisoners:

-Interrogate the merchant for what he knows about the orcish lands. Nothing too severe. Curse him with Tiv's memory loss of this event and let him go.
-Ask the mercenary if he knows about anything fishy in the city, the standing of the Kinkaids in the region, anything. Give him the same treatment as the merchant afterwards.
-Interrogate the bastard about the political situation, and about the Prince. Use curses as necessary. If Caddor can help to make him talk, call him, but tell him to leave his body as intact as possible. After he is of no more use to us, curse him with the soul-stealing curse, kill him in a non-invasive way (like poison), and reanimate him with the wight soul.

+1 to torture and raising the bastard as a wight

We should order the mercenary to carry a message to clan Ivy as payment, give him some gold and offer that his crime will be forgiven.  Meanwhile double hex him and activate the hex while he has traveled south.  He can serve the orcish gods in Ivy and we get our message through.

Keep the dwarf as a food source for our wights.

Send the Groghall orcs to move the library, but also send someone competent to oversee that it is done properly. Maybe send Tempest, I don't know.

Do not object to Dublin courting us, but do not give Charlie hope. If the guy is so dull, maybe we can easily use him for our needs.

Hear Charlies' offers for the Court personnel. Do not make any promises.
Sure +1

This is a really bad idea, you are taking away the only thing she is good at and still has pride in.  She will resent whoever did this forever.  I think that what should be done is to confront her with the truth about her condition but convince her she needs to take a teaching role because what she does knows is so valuable.  However much she resents Peat, she clearly trained him well.  If she continues to be a pain we can do something else but teaching is a good idea.

Also for the potion business:
Start moving some of the extra laborers to assist in gathering ingredients.  Better to be over stocked if we are going to be brewing at capacity anyway.
Train the jackass sales orcs to ask people what they want and write it down so we can keep track of demand.
Experiment with Peat in using hexes on animals to improve potion results.  Nothing specific just to see how much it helps.

We should send our own message to Clan Ape but I just do not know what.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31