Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 1331: Valve announces HL:VR  (Read 39753 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day 552: Microsoft VR Dev Kits on sale
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2018, 01:45:34 am »

Just got #53 global rank with Quarkcannons only on Space Pirate Trainer.  Somewhere around 87k score.

And pushed my Mixed score up to 91k - putting me global rank #340-something

What's the point if I can't brag a little, right?  It's one of two games I picked up on my first day with the Vive, and still my favorite.  You feel so awesome playing it, ducking and weaving between lasers in bullet time and blasting drones out of the sky with a sci-fi pistol in each hand.

So what do you guys think of the Vive Pro announcement?  Are there other headsets pushing the boundaries worth paying attention to, besides Pimax?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2018, 03:02:24 am »

Sounds to me like they are pushing the price point back up just as VR was barely becoming affordable.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2018, 01:21:54 pm »

Sounds to me like they are pushing the price point back up just as VR was barely becoming affordable.
That's how product cycles work, man. Drop the price on something, release a newer model for more money. I reckon that the Vive Pro is still likely to cost less than the Vive's highest price point, though. But if you were expecting the top of the line in the market to meet the pocketbook of anyone below a middle class enthusiast, I think you need to adjust your expectations. The higher market versions aren't aiming for a "in every home" price point. The ones using your phone addressed that as a gimmick, and in a while there'll be something akin to the current Vive/Oculus hitting that point, especially as the new model puts used versions of the old model onto the market, but if you want the newest and the best? Don't be poor.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2018, 06:09:29 pm »

I agree with Cruxador - it's how product cycles work and I think it's also good news for a number of reasons.

Firstly, it shows that there is enough of a market/they're commercially viable enough for them to continue making more versions.

Secondly, and most importantly, it'll push the 'whats expected from VR' bar higher up. It was the same with early smart phones - when someone goes and makes a proper leap up in quality, everyone has to follow suit or get left behind.

Thirdly, it also means that the previous models become cheaper as they can't keep them at a price point similar to the 'pro' versions. There will also be a lot more second hand sets available when the new one launches, which will drag in a lot more people who previously couldn't afford it.

Lastly,  5-6 years back when this stuff was being developed we were sort of *just* at the point where good VR was feasible hardware/engineering wise. There was still a bit of a screen door effect and latency etc. etc. Now we're at the stage where displays and hardware developers knowledge has come a long way and those things aren't an issue any more. As many people have said, the first iteration is always a bit rough round the edges, and I know a lot of people who have purposefully waited for v2 because they wanted something a bit more refined, without the teething problems.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2018, 12:53:14 am »

I am really looking forward to the day when I can use VR as a workspace, once displays get good enough for comfortably reading text.  When I'm working at my job, I always have at minimum 7 screens open that I'm actively monitoring and making use of (3 e-mail accounts + 2 spreadsheets + data entry system + document system), and there's dozens more I add on top of that on a daily basis.  It would be a fucking dream to be able to put up a headset, and throw those screens up around me in virtual space.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2018, 03:28:25 am »

I am really looking forward to the day when I can use VR as a workspace, once displays get good enough for comfortably reading text.  When I'm working at my job, I always have at minimum 7 screens open that I'm actively monitoring and making use of (3 e-mail accounts + 2 spreadsheets + data entry system + document system), and there's dozens more I add on top of that on a daily basis.  It would be a fucking dream to be able to put up a headset, and throw those screens up around me in virtual space.

From what I understand, one of the primary goals of the Vive Pro will be text which is much easier to read. However, I can't really imagine that they'll ever manage to do it in a way that avoids eye strain using current tech - whatever they do, you're still concentrating on screens really close to your eyes.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2018, 04:40:07 am »

From what I understand, one of the primary goals of the Vive Pro will be text which is much easier to read. However, I can't really imagine that they'll ever manage to do it in a way that avoids eye strain using current tech - whatever they do, you're still concentrating on screens really close to your eyes.

I don't expect it to be anytime soon, but I'm sure it will get there.  Or skip to mixed reality.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2018, 08:40:36 pm »

Microsoft MR(Mixed Reality, or Augmented Reality+Virtual Reality) launched last fall. This launch involved Windows 10 updating with a virtual workspace for VR, a selection of VR apps in the Microsoft store, and several hardware manufacturers releasing competing VR hats that Microsoft apparently persuaded them to craft. This launch was largely ignored due to the new MR hats having the same $400 price tag as existing VR hats, slightly lesser hardware specs by comparison, and Microsoft's store having a lackluster selection of apps. Also the AR part of MR was largely non-functional.

However, early 2018 turned things around somewhat, with a price drop down to $250 for most models, and SteamVR adding compatibility for MR hats. A third-party workaround is also available making most software from the Rift store compatible as well. It's also worth noting that setup on these hats is much easier than the more mainstream options, with no external sensors needed, and only 2 cables for USB and HDMI. All of this would seem to make Microsoft MR a viable low-budget option for people interested in getting into VR.

In other news, has anyone tried Sansar? It's been unofficially described as SecondLife for VR, and looks like an interesting thing to try for people who like creating or exploring other people's creations.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2018, 09:08:48 pm »

Anyone try Rec Room? It's quite a fun minigame/social game, and it's free!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2018, 09:30:56 pm »

Have not tried Rec Room or Sansar.  Intend to for both

I also intend to pick up Beat Saber and Sprint Vector when I can afford it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2018, 10:17:36 pm »

Beat saber looks really good, I have it on my wishlist on steam

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2018, 09:38:31 am »

Beat saber just has a really good trailer imo.

Rec Room is fun, but jesus fuuuu are the quests in that game hard as hell. I thought this was for kids or something? Paintball is good, Charades and soccer is a mess, Disk-golf is good until you figure out that you can easily exploit by pushing the disk with any other object, which a lot of players do. Laser Tag seems like a less fun variation of paintball. Turn on the walk mode they recently added at your own risk, its a highway to puke town if you are not set to deal with that.

Had a lot of fun with that, me and my buddy, both spending most of our youth on games, get sea-sick instantly with walk mode, while a friend that never gamed in her life just walks around without any ill effects.

Since ya'll had this for longer, are there any good programms that allow better window management? I want to, for example, take a video running on screen two and pin it in a unreleated virtual world (game, theater mode, rec room, whatever) or have a more functional desktop/theater mode.

Payday 2 VR is a fucking blast btw, even if normal players tend to kick VR players for some reason. While people seem to think VR players do worse, there are some advantages to it, like being able to shot while performing other tasks or to go double firepower with akimbo weapons, as well as the teleport spam and effective cover use. Just reaching over a shield carriers shield and nailing him in the face is fun, too - but melee weapons are near non-functional (but you can stun lock a enemy by sticking something in them). Feels very good to play.

I need some friends with VR to coop this stuff.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:42:48 am by ThtblovesDF »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2018, 12:38:19 pm »

I'd do some Payday 2 VR with you.

I wasn't planning to pick up Beat Saber until I heard that they plan the ability to plug in your own music files.  That's a must for me to consider any rhythm game of that sort.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day N: the saga continues
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2018, 03:21:36 pm »

My VR rig was always on the bare minimum of support from Oculus, and as far as I can tell a recent patch finally killed it off for good. My sensors are giving me repeated poor tracking errors when I use the motherboard's 2.0 ports (no 3.0 on it), and my 3.0 expansion card is even worse, with "repeated catastrophic errors."

Going to have to upgrade the old beast, but until I do, no more VR for me.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Reality Thread: Day N: the saga continues
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2018, 03:52:20 pm »

Hmm... Vive doesn't even benefit from USB 3.0... Mine's running off a single USB 2 port.  That's one solid mark against Oculus in my book.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18