Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151605 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I think everyone's being perfectly calm here
I don't. One person is calling me a Daily-Mail reading guy full of shit.

The EU does not decide who gets a share of your national quota – your government does that.
And I have repeatedly stated this. Yet everyone keeps arguing on me as if I believe that. Why? Because no one is reading my posts.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

I think everyone's being perfectly calm here
I don't. One person is calling me a Daily-Mail reading guy full of shit.
That's mainiac's way of expressing affection.

The EU does not decide who gets a share of your national quota – your government does that.
And I have repeatedly stated this. Yet everyone keeps arguing on me as if I believe that. Why? Because no one is reading my posts.
I've read everything you've posted about this issue and also some of the Mail and Torygraph articles that bang on about Cornelis Vrolijk without mentioning that it is technically a British ship operating with the DEFRA's full approval. I'm not saying that you're intentionally hiding this detail like the aforementioned rags do, but your posts still present the Cornelis Vrolijk fiasco as an argument against the EU and CFP – which is something that it factually isn't.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:19:10 pm by SirQuiamus »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Heh, in that case I apologise for misinterpreting it

I've read everything you've posted about this issue and also some of the Mail and Torygraph articles that bang on about Cornelis Vrolijk without mentioning that it is technically a British ship operating with the DEFRA's full approval. I'm not saying that you're intentionally hiding this detail like the aforementioned rags do, but your posts still present the Cornelis Vrolijk fiasco as an argument against the EU and CFP – which is something that it factually isn't.
They don't present that and I actively clarified it multiple times, even voicing outright displeasure that people were focusing on the first two bloody sentences of the post and not the post itself. The Daily Mail was never linked, people seem to catch onto the Torygraph but ignore the Guardian and the Beeb, so what the hell?

Does it take the EU apologising for the Common Fishery policy before people are willing to concede that the EU has done terrible damage to the North Sea and Africa? Well, chuff for Africans since they have no defence, but we certainly do. From the Guardian article it's notable we managed to end discarding with regional involvement directly with the fishermen:
There are some good projects already under way, such as the UK's own 50% project, where a local fishery in Devon aimed to reduce discard by 50% – it succeeded. This was an individualistic approach where the fishermen were listened to – they even designed their own new nets. As one fisherman said: "It was the first time that I've known a government organisation to work with the local fisherman and ask us how we could help."
But this is not how the CFP works. It doesn't listen, it dictates.
Which is a bit pointless when 12 1/2 miles out we've got deep trawlers destroying us lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:24:26 pm by Loud Whispers »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

After all these years, we've finally found out that LW's trigger phrase is "Daily Mail".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I'm sorry that I assumed that you read the daily mail just because you are repeating the talking points of one of their fake scandals.  You could have read about it on all sorts of poorly sourced right wing news sources targeted towards nationalistic British conservatives.

=
If you are in a state to reason, what do the bolded points mean to you?

That british fishing has not been immune to the global decline in fish populations.  Something that I believe I have stated three times already.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:43:29 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Who cares about fishermen? Jesus used to like them, look what it earned him
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Some really sweet wrist tats?

(Are you trying to step into LW's shitposting role since he has decided to change into the forum right nationalist british poster?)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

LW, I could write a longer post, but: A) Why do you think entering the EU caused such a problem when the UK was claiming only a 12nm bands around its shors? That means that 12,5 nm out, Europeans boats were free to fish before and after joining.

B) Keep in mind that this graph is for the British Fleet, not British water. Stuff like the Second Cod War of 1972 probably have much more to do with the collapse of the British catch than the EU.

I have more point, but my béchamel is burning, so they'll wait.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Second Cod War

This has possibly the greatest name of all time.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

After all these years, we've finally found out that LW's trigger phrase is "Daily Mail".
Aye, I'm an avid reader of in rough order of left to right, Guardian, Observer, Independent, Economist, Metro, London Evening Standard, BBC news, Spectator, the Times, Telegraph, Breitbart, and I don't know where Russian Bastion of Freedom Today News or Al Jazeera stand but they're in there too. Volksrant apparently also lol. Daily Mail though? Them's fighting words. I've no disrespect for the Daily Mail any more than I'd give to MSNBC but it's like calling Cameron Neville Chamberlain, you only mean a few certain things when you call it.

LW, I could write a longer post, but: A) Why do you think entering the EU caused such a problem when the UK was claiming only a 12nm bands around its shors? That means that 12,5 nm out, Europeans boats were free to fish before and after joining.
Because as members of the EU, we could not claim more than 12nm, at a time when all other nations extended their claims to 200 nm; tiny countries to boot. To make matters worse, as the nature article shows, under the EU quota system the British share of landings dramatically falls as hauls are dragged back to France, Netherlands and Spain.
With the world's largest EEZ managed directly by Brussels, British waters became subject to continental trawling lobbies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Our profitable fishing industry got paid to scrap itself whilst the EU subsidized unprofitable trawlers that destroyed the Med, destroyed Somalia, the North Sea and are now operating in the West African Coast or else the EU will cut development aid to West African nations.
The policy of subsidising vast fishing fleets to catch ever-diminishing stocks is unsustainable. In Spain, for example, one in three fish landed is paid for by subsidy. Governments, concerned with keeping jobs alive in the fishing industry in the short-term, are essentially paying people to extinguish their own long-term job prospects – not to mention the effect on the next generation of fishermen. Artisanal fishing catches half the world’s fish, yet it provides 90% of the sector’s jobs.
How does it affect us now? Our conservation efforts end 12 nautical miles out to sea, which is not enough to save our fish. And if we vote to leave we're under threat by European trawlers fearful of losing access to our market taking everything they can before they're stopped, turning the permanent damage they've already inflicted into one that may be irrecoverable. For example we banned the trawling technique used by French and Spanish fishermen that were killing our dolphins and porpoises in 2004, but any attempt to stop them killing everything that makes its way out of that zone is fair game - if we are to protect our aquatic ecosystem beyond that, we have to get approval of the entire European Union which is not going to happen and hasn't happened. If it did, the EU would not be subsidizing trawlers that don't make profit and cause irreparable damage.

This is a snapshot of how hard it was to get discarding banned:
Last year, member state ministers passed the reforms after an all-night negotiating session, but it is possible that the fishing lobby will make a last-ditch attempt to have member states derail or water the changes down in the final stages of the process. But Saskia Richartz, EU fisheries policy director at Greenpeace, said: "This vote signals a momentous shift away from overfishing and is a testament to parliament's resolve to defend the general interest. National governments that stand in the way of reform, like Spain and France, will find it increasingly hard to act as proxies for a handful of powerful companies, with no concern for the long-term wellbeing of the oceans or the majority of fishermen."

The changes would also put an end to the annual wrangling over fishing quotas, which campaigners say leads to overfishing rather than protecting stocks. In future quotas would be based on longer term "maximum sustainable yield", set taking scientific advice into consideration.
It took a decade to get to a settlement the British were already carrying out whilst the EU had it diluted, delayed and rendered meaningless. Meaning we're going to have to fight discarding again. Alternatively, we're going to get our waters back.

Interestingly the UK government did something I can genuinely be proud of in that it stepped in to fight the European Union's exploitation of West African waters. Sadly, the UK seems to have been ignored. In the nature article I linked earlier it was made clear the EU was regularly setting their quota too high above what scientists regarded safe, routinely ignoring or misinterpreting their guidelines whilst subsidizing increasingly advanced and powerful fishing ships that weren't making profit. The quotas were supposed to solve this issue so that as fishing trawlers grew more advanced, fishermen would fish less, but they just ended up discarding the extra fish caught - or fishing in African waters where the quotas did not apply, thus depleting their stocks.
Normally a country would step in and stop their own people from destroying their own livelihood and future, or the free market would render fishermen who destroyed their own livelihoods bankrupt, but why would a lobby that destroyed its own waters and the oceans and seas of foreigners care about destroying more foreign seas - getting paid EU subsidies to justify reckless destruction? Why on Earth was the profitable British fleet cut by the EU more than the more harmful and unprofitable Spanish fleet that requires EU subsidies to stay afloat? One is more powerful than the other in Brussels.

I think we have to accept that European trawlers will inflict irreparable damage one last time and try to restore our stocks before they are rendered extinct through slow death by European harmonization. Our British fishing industry is already pretty fucked so we don't have much more left to lose there.

An island people are either connected with the world through the sea, or isolated by it. The key to this difference is the quantity of able seamen they have available to them.

I'm sorry that I assumed that you read the daily mail just because you are repeating the talking points of one of their fake scandals.  You could have read about it on all sorts of poorly sourced right wing news sources targeted towards nationalistic British conservatives.
Mainiac, that's not a very sincere apology. You should not be stooping to attacks on character, adhoms are beneath you.

Heh, in that case I apologise for misinterpreting it
This is the most British thing I've ever seen.
I've seen worse

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

An island people are either connected with the world through the sea, or isolated by it. The key to this difference is the quantity of able seamen they have available to them.
Shouldn't you support EU regulations, then? After all, it's thanks to the EU that Bisphenol A is undergoing regulation, and there's growing evidence of the effect of Bisphenol A in seamen quality
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Shouldn't you support EU regulations, then? After all, it's thanks to the EU that Bisphenol A is undergoing regulation, and there's growing evidence of the effect of Bisphenol A in seamen quality
EU regulation held us back on regulating Bisphenol A. At a time when all major food processors were phasing out Bisphenol A because it was scientifically proven to have many health risks such as: breast and prostate cancer, heart disease, brain retardation, impotence and infertility, the European Food Agency said the substance does not pose a risk to the public - 2010. Many years after we figured our Bisphenol A was bad for you, EU regulation still lags behind what is required to protect consumers.

Thus the EU is a threat to British able seamen and able semen, and probably goes to some lengths to explaining why Germany needs to borrow fertility where their regulation has failed them. Able semen everywhere are destroyed by an EU beholden to figures obscured by dollar.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

I really hope that Remain wins, so that I can see LW's no-doubt hilarious response to that event. Also, because UK's relative independence must be squashed and its unique national culture - destroyed and replaced with EU one. For reasons. Totally not related to EU culture being much less resistant to outside influences from Eastern direction. Nope. No siree.
._.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

Okay, LW, the EU is hindering British efforts for sustainable fishing. Fair enough.

One question, though: How exactly is Brexit going to hinder the anti-sustainability efforts of powerful domestic fishing lobbyists such as the NFFO?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 107