Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151500 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: British Brexit Thread: Hype replacement bus services in operation
« Reply #300 on: June 18, 2016, 04:00:58 pm »

UK doesn't have enough missiles to make the world burn. Hell, its nuclear doctrine is all about making one (1) single city (i.e. Moscow) burn.

Ah, but the retaliatory strikes and retaliatory retaliatory strikes might.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2016, 04:08:44 pm »

Is Russia considered a third world country, now that the terms no longer relate to the cold war?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2016, 04:10:11 pm »

Second, actually, iirc. Nowadays that's basically the BRIC, and russia's the R in there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2016, 04:42:46 pm »

The popular conception of 1st/2nd/3rd world countries nowdays has more to do with the quality of life in that country, so i am not sure the BRICS has a lot to do with it since those countries are vastly different to each other.

Regardless, let's say Russia is a 2nd world country. since Argentina has higher human development index rank, higher GDP per capita and are ranked lower on the corruption perception index than Russia, does that make Argentina a 1st world country? or is it just a question of market size?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 18, 2016, 04:54:09 pm »

Most of my interactions with the terms being used in anything even approaching a concrete sense come from business/economics stuff, where it mostly has to do with economic and industry development, s'far as I'm aware. The BRIC, and similar economies, are second world because they are, broadly speaking, second tier/developing economies. Moving towards or in the process of developing industrial or postindustrial economies, basically.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2016, 05:02:03 pm »

BRIC is an acronym made by some banker looking to sell stocks. I mean, the economies of Russia and China don't have much in common, like, at all.

Generally, people nowadays use things like high- middle- and low-income countries.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2016, 05:07:22 pm »

The 1st/2nd/3rd world terminology doesn't really mean anything anymore. Russia is in roughly the 75% when it comes to GDP per capita and has a relatively high level of technological/infrastructure development though so I don't see any way you could realistically put them into the bottom category.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2016, 05:11:32 pm »

Eeehh, t'be honest, it's mostly just a really bloody fuzzy term. Wouldn't be particularly surprised if it's being used differently in different fields and/or regions.

And yeah, it's not uncommon for economies in the same category to be very, very different. Is what happens when you try to categorize every economy in the world into three groups :P
Ask not!
Ask!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2016, 05:20:51 pm »

In all honesty saying that Argentina is "a third world shithole" shows a vast lack of knowledge about both Argentina and South America in general
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2016, 05:35:11 pm »

In all honesty saying that Argentina is "a third world shithole" shows a vast lack of knowledge about both Argentina and South America in general
So, what's good about Argentina, that makes it above being "third-world"? Is it the non-existent scientific-industrial complex? Is it the rotting fleet of ships? Or is it the political instability and degeneration to the point where the last president of Argentina, Kirchner, was impeached on charges of corruption?
._.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2016, 05:51:22 pm »

Exactly. I assumed that since he has such a high standards, he'd surely must put Russia under that same category as well. he did point out two metrics there where Russia ranks lower than Argentina, i added the GDP per Capita since that's what the World Bank use to determine the placement of countries (I was actually wrong since the world bank use GNI per capita).

So, what's good about Argentina, that makes it above being "third-world"? Is it the non-existent scientific-industrial complex? Is it the rotting fleet of ships? Or is it the political instability and degeneration to the point where the last president of Argentina, Kirchner, was impeached on charges of corruption?

What's good about Russia that makes it above being "third-world"? Is it the shrinking economy? rampart corruption? a life expectancy lower than Iraq and Syria? expanding brain drain and capital flight? or is it the political stagnation that made a power hungry president/prime minister/choose your own title since it doesn't really matter virtually untouchable?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 18, 2016, 05:57:15 pm »

What's good about Russia that makes it above being "third-world"?
The fact that NATO, the #1 military alliance on the planet and by a large margin, the strongest first-world military organization, plans to increase it's forces in Europe to counter Russia, because Russia is still seen as a threat to the "first-world"?

I mean, really. Third-world countries are not threats to the first-world. They get bombed by peace-time non-mobilized armed forces very easily. But Russia? "Oh no our armed forces are insufficient and unprepared, we need MOAR funding, much much more".
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 18, 2016, 06:00:16 pm »

a life expectancy lower than Iraq and Syria?
Wait, what? Surely that must be pre-war statistics...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 18, 2016, 06:04:56 pm »

This is basically the exact reason why the term "third world" is not used seriously anymore. People just use it to try and shit on countries they don't like

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2016, 06:13:16 pm »

This is basically the exact reason why the term "third world" is not used seriously anymore. People just use it to try and shit on countries they don't like
Well, yes, I agree. I don't like Argentina. They're still obsessed as fuck about conquering Falklands after so many years, despite their miserable military showings and despite Falklanders making it very obvious that they don't want Argentina to rule over them. It's the epitome of being butthurt and stupid.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 107