Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151402 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I'm curious, why is Theresa May #3? I've never heard of her.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'm curious, why is Theresa May #3? I've never heard of her.
She doesn't seem as fond of cameras as her peers

The simple answer is she's usually third in the polls amongst Tory voters and the general public, although she has risen to 2nd place in some due to Osborne's support for Pension Reform (nice way of saying cut them to save money)

But to summarize, she's got skills, experience and networks:
77-83, works at the Bank of England as a finconsultant and senior advisor
86-94, becomes Councillor for the Borough of Merton
97, after two failed bids at becoming MP, finally becomes MP of Maidenhead. Once in Parliament, she becomes a member of Hague's frontbenchers (Hague then being the leader of the Tory party).
99, she joins the Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Education and Employment Secretary
01, the Tory party is obliterated by the talented Tony Blair, May survives this murder and remains in the Shadow Cabinet
02, she's appointed Chairman of the Conservative party
03, becomes Shadow Secretary for Transport
04, becomes Shadow Secretary for Culture, Media and Sport
05, Cameron appoints her Shadow Leader of the House of Commons
09, becomes Shadow Secretary for Work and Pensions
10, the Liberal Democrat attempt to decapitate the Tory leadership by unseating May at Maidenhead fails, with Theresa May completely unchallenged
10, after Cameron becomes Prime Minister he appoints Theresa May as Home Secretary - there are three Cabinet posts that are massive responsibilities (even if the EU has eroded the importance of Home Secretary and the Foreign Office has paradoxically lost importance to the UK but gained European importance, but I do digress).
15, May is reappointed to Home Secretary again, retaining her post. May has from 10-16 been the executive in charge of matters of policing, national security, migration and citizenship. Furthermore, if Cameron did not have the help of May and Osborne, he would have already lost the EU referendum campaign by now. I think it's rather interesting to note how quickly she rose up the ranks after 2001, it seems after the chaos of their defeat she was quite the busy worker!

Used to be that it was Osborne who was the favoured Tory candidate (that wasn't Boris) but he got rekt by the IDS of March. Furthermore, he could end up getting fatally wounded in the EU referendum, or Boris could get fatally wounded in the EU referendum - or both, which would only leave Theresa May as a viable candidate (unless some dark horse runs up just as Boris did for London). As it stands I reckon Theresa May is close to consistently topping Osborne in the polls (I just want to see if she's got staying power first). A lot of the dark horses I would've thought stood a chance like Sajid Javid or Gove don't seem to like their odds, and Hunt's been slaughtered over the doctor pay packages so it makes sense that he stood out this one

Boris is #1 despite not holding a senior office post because he usually polls as twice as popular as his rival colleagues amongst Tory and general public voters

*EDIT
Oh yeah, I also forgot, in regards to Labour boosting their membership they had loads of entryists from other political parties signing up, so how successful old labs strategy was is doubly in question
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:37:40 am by Loud Whispers »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: British Brexit Thread: Everyone will hate democracy
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2016, 03:07:30 pm »

Osborne looks really slimy
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2016, 03:31:45 pm »

That is because he is.

Oh, and Farage just had a go on TV at making a case for Leave. He did a.... tame job, but then he is not great at the whole live public speaking thing. Seemed like he was on serious shackles in order to avoid saying something really stupid, and a few audience members had him on the ropes with a few questions he did not really try that hard to give and answer too. Lots of only half true clams and conjecture as well, but frankly Leave do not have a lot of concrete stuff to go on. Cameron is up now, and I suspect he will do a more polished job. Let us see...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:36:07 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2016, 03:48:29 pm »

I thought giving Osborne the eyes of a Kestrel would make him seem more approachable

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was wrong

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: British Brexit Thread: Eyes on the prize, Yog-Merkel in the skies
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2016, 11:25:03 am »

Reminds me of when he decided to not cut some form of benefits.
To quote Russel Howard 'It's weird. Osborne's doing something... nice.'
I heard from a friend of a friend who was a friend of someone who was running one of the big Tory conferences where he met an old Tory MP who just started talking with him for not much reason, and the topic drifted to how all the politicians were like in person - obviously this is down the vine stuff, so take it with a pinch of a salt as you're taking this from an anonymous friend of a friend of a friend who was a friend of someone running one of the Tory conferences :P. You'd be surprised cos apparently Osborne was the nicest of them all, as he was one of the few people who helped out the newbies and made sure they didn't make total cocks of themselves, helping them survive with throats intact. Makes for a neat parallel to what he has to do to enforce austerity, what with having to choose between making people redundant, making people homeless, letting sick people die or raiding OAP pensions
Chancellor of the Exchequer is only really a job you want to accept when there's an abundance of taxes

I like Russel, though I must say I like doom Russel more

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2016, 08:43:50 pm »

Redundancy + decent living standard seems like it might be alright

Or have them all become doctors

I hear Britain has issues with doctors

Just like every other country/color]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »

Redundancy + decent living standard seems like it might be alright
Or have them all become doctors
I hear Britain has issues with doctors
Just like every other country
We don't have a shortage of skilled doctors to choose from, given that there's a vast sum of Indian doctors trained in Indian medical schools that are already British standard (only have to do a short course to qualify for medical work in the UK if transferring from India, and most of that is to do with the cultural differences between how Indian and Brit GPs work). The issue right now is privatization of the NHS which could result in health4profit fucking up the system we all tolerate with the EU's TTIP, which Cameron isn't fighting really hard at all to stop (because he probably wants the deal to pass so he could privatize the NHS without having to consult the electorate and not get torn apart). Then there's the issue with doctor's pay, in the UK there is a saying that if you are going into medicine for money you're picking the wrong job - doctors tolerate a lot of shit pay because it's their vocation, so you know it's bad when doctors went on strike because the pay was somehow made too shit even for jun. doctors to tolerate. It was something like a 30% pay cut, and IIRC the strikes reversed the cut into a salary rise and protection of premiums, but it's still pretty feisty water and is the reason why cheeki individuals call Jeremy Hunt, Jeremy Cunt
Seems we got more an issue with making abundant medical jobs than finding medical professionals
Redundancy doesn't seem like a smart idea, since making lots of people unemployed makes them very angry, poor and then they just have to use benefits

*EDIT
My government just changed the law so that their registration extension is legal, they didn't even bother passing the law before they began. Registration has since extended two days past the deadline, resulting in a net gain of one million one-hundred and fifty thousand more pro-EU voters from the 18-29 demographic

JUST STICKLEBRIX MY OXBRIDGE FAM
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:09:14 pm by Loud Whispers »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2016, 12:38:09 pm »

(It didn't help that, in the manner of a tongue-twister, Jezza was famously misnamed when he was "Jeremy Hunt, the Culture Secretary..  ;) )

My government just changed the law so that their registration extension is legal, they didn't even bother passing the law before they began. Registration has since extended two days past the deadline, resulting in a net gain of one million one-hundred and fifty thousand more pro-EU voters from the 18-29 demographic

I hadn't seen that news, although when I had a look at the much vaunted online registration page, being curious the other day after posting my own reminder of the deadline to you all, the server was not responding.

If anything, then, I suspect that it'd be a technical necessity because of the failure of the server (Ngix-based!) what with the increased last-minute demand.  Whether because of actual demand, spoilering by DDOSers or merely congestion caused by people like me who had no reason to be cluttering up the bandwidth, I don't know...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:39:49 pm by Starver »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2016, 12:43:43 pm »

I hadn't seen that news, although when I had a look at the much vaunted online registration page, being curious the other day after posting my own reminder of the deadline to you all, the server was not responding.

If anything, then, I suspect that it'd be a technical necessity because of the failure of the server (Ngix-based!) what with the increased last-minute demand.  Whether because of actual demand, spoilering by DDOSers or merely congestion caused by people like me who had no reason to be cluttering up the bandwidth, I don't know...
Congestion by people who wanted to sign up last minute. The servers were down for 2 hours so they extended the registration by TWO FUCKING DAYS before they even made it legal (hahahahaha they can change campaign rules whenever they want to, fuck my life)

STIIIIICKLEBRIIIIIIX

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2016, 12:46:14 pm »

Dang people, rigging the vote with their voters.

More seriously, what else would you do? Open the server for two more hours? Deny the vote to all those that tried to do it at the last minute?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2016, 01:05:38 pm »

Dang people, rigging the vote with their voters.

More seriously, what else would you do? Open the server for two more hours? Deny the vote to all those that tried to do it at the last minute?
Oh what, so I am supposed to just take it that my government broke the law to get as many of their voters' side registered as possible? Ha, fat bloody chance, they weren't looking for Brexit voters to register, bloody ridiculous - thousands of people who left it last minute have been turned into this, with media campaigns by the Beeb and Channel 4 and Cameron. Of course, it would be illegal, but our government made it legal today lel

This is pretty much the same sticklebrix as when our government outspent the entire Brexit campaign with leaflets using taxpayer money - without touching a single penny of the Brexin campaign's budget. And the Brexit campaign couldn't spend more for a lack of funds, but legal restrictions placed upon them by you guessed it, our government. I mean Ossy pls, how the hell is this referendum supposed to be fair if one side's got none of the media, none of the three great posts, our government changes the law whenever it helps the EU campaign and legally controls the confines of both Brexin and Brexit campaign?
Sticklebrix m8 in my Oxbridge fam, they didn't set the deadline for today, they just changed the rules because they wanted to and they've got the power. True to word, the white men oppresses again

O Lord, who at thy first coming didst send thy banter to prepare thy way before thee; Grant that the ministers and stewards of thy mysteries may likewise so prepare and make ready my sticklebrix, by burning the hearts of the disobedient to the wisdom of the JUST, that at thy second coming to dank the world we may be found an acceptable people in thy sight
cheeki breeki

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2016, 02:46:02 pm »

The assumption that late registrants are more likely to be Remain supporters needs looking at.

What's more likely is that those already convinced of a position did not dally until the last moment.  Those already convinced are more likely to be fired-up Brexiteers who haven't been wavering even from regiatration, and thus last-minute registrations are from a pool pre-depleted of Leavers.

Is it the case of The Grass Is Greener? Giving people who might legitimately swing the vote away from your position is a bad thing, because it may lead to the 'wrong' result, rather than it being generally awful that voting has been denied to generic voters of whatever disposition?

If you were firmly for position A, and through inaction camp B gained advantage, would you be thinking the same as you do now?

Not saying it's right to have been extended 'unilaterally', but examine your own reasons why you feel it to be wrong.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »

The assumption that late registrants are more likely to be Remain supporters needs looking at.
No it's not, the majority are 18-29 where there's a net pro-EU leaning of 46%, just as it happens that the Beeb, Ch4 and Bremain run their registration awareness campaign for registrants who were about to miss the deadline, missed it but then registered anyways

What's more likely is that those already convinced of a position did not dally until the last moment.  Those already convinced are more likely to be fired-up Brexiteers who haven't been wavering even from regiatration, and thus last-minute registrations are from a pool pre-depleted of Leavers.
I have no idea what you're trying to say lol

Is it the case of The Grass Is Greener? Giving people who might legitimately swing the vote away from your position is a bad thing, because it may lead to the 'wrong' result, rather than it being generally awful that voting has been denied to generic voters of whatever disposition?

This is pretty much the same sticklebrix as when our government outspent the entire Brexit campaign with leaflets using taxpayer money - without touching a single penny of the Brexin campaign's budget. And the Brexit campaign couldn't spend more for a lack of funds, but legal restrictions placed upon them by you guessed it, our government. I mean Ossy pls, how the hell is this referendum supposed to be fair if one side's got none of the media, none of the three great posts, our government changes the law whenever it helps the EU campaign and legally controls the confines of both Brexin and Brexit campaign?
Sticklebrix m8 in my Oxbridge fam, they didn't set the deadline for today, they just changed the rules because they wanted to and they've got the power. True to word, the white men oppresses again
Laffin, the party who walked in on the mandate of the EU referendum poisoning it so, I saw it coming but it's still absolutely haram

If you were firmly for position A, and through inaction camp B gained advantage, would you be thinking the same as you do now?
1. This is clearly not inaction if you have to change the bloody law after the fact just to make what you've done legal, hahaha
2. Yes, I already made it clear winning a Britain of ashes is not fucking worth it, hence why I don't support dismantling British democracy just because it benefits the EU.

Not saying it's right to have been extended 'unilaterally', but examine your own reasons why you feel it to be wrong.
Oh right, of course. I can't oppose this because it's a farce where the field is perverted? It's because it doesn't benefit my camp? If so, why did I support Commonwealth citizens residing in the UK having the vote, even though they tend to lean EU?

I know the notion of someone actually having principles is the talk of fairy tales when it comes to winning, but I would like to live my life for as long as possible without succumbing to the cynicism that democracy is about gutting your opponents, making them incapable of resisting and winning.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2016, 03:12:59 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36485464

Didn't see this mentioned yet, so I figured I'd post it here.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 107