Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151369 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Crap, there was the mining/metal based council, which as I recall forms the root lineage of the top eu council, then there was a defense based one, and then I think the regions one relates to the inner six/outer seven doesn't it?

I wrote a paper on the EU for school but it was in the middle of several other courses so it's all muddled up in my head AND CONFUSING AS SHIT TO BOOT!

Edit: Well damn, I wasn't too far off, Council of the EU was from the coal/steel group, then the European Council was from the treaty of lisbon and is like a summit thing, and the regions is for the relations between the nation-state and overall EU scales.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:53:11 am by Max™ »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

You forgot the Council of Europe. :)

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I read the post about the CotEU, the EC, and the CoER and skipped that one.

Still, I get like a half-hearted high-5 for knowing that off the top of my head as a 'murican.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Council or Regions is for relation between the EU's sub-national entities (German Landers, French Regions and so on). None of them is defense related.

But still not bad, you get a third of a high-five.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm gonna accumulate them and see if multiple people can deliver a composite high-5.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler: Mo replies (click to show/hide)

Yeah, and the same for the "constitution" of the EU, also a bunch of laws, statute, decrees and treaties, although they're not as old and solid as the one in the UK, I'll grant you that. But martinuzz seemed to have an issue with that.
Not the same, they were not enacted through the same mechanisms and the EU's not even consistent in how it enacts its laws, treaties and such. It needs a big overhaul, or some sort of bureaucratic faction that specializes in destroying the unnecessary bits of bureaucracy xD

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to make serious replies to the message before, and this one looked simpler to do in one go, but then it expanded larger...
Just realised I never did go back. Still mean to, though. When I can do it justice.

You really complicated that one by suggesting Public Schools (UK) as per Private Schools (US).
Nah I said public education, not public schools, and the Murricans have different terminology for their equivalents which is worth mentioning because Americans are the most people on the internet
Operative word now highlighted, although I realise you apparently never meant to say that. Truly, just "Education" without the side-comment would have been better.
And we have intelligent Leftpondians on these forums, I don't think we need to pander to them as if they're full-blown "Hell, yeah!" 'Merkins. Especially in a conversation so obviously rooted in the UK.

Yeah it's miners based in London, same as for forestry peeps, you don't extract much from the ground you sleep on
Tell a coalfield community that...
(And then there's this although the latest I heard about it, it was an old lead mine, and I don't recall knowing about lead-mining in that part of the city. (Not coal either, admittedly, that area of leafy suburbs being up on the low flanks of the Peak District, where millstone tops and inorganic mineral mines and quarries do dominate, when it comes to exploiting the geology.)

If you think that was caused by innovation you are in for a long fall, cos the number of people who've gotten by with stagnancy number in the Ottomans
Cannot parse that. I get your sentiment, from what follows (in which you don't say anything I disagree with) but I don't understand what your counter-argument is, because you don't contradict my assertion at all.

I am likely just being thick. Or you suffered from an overzealous autocorrection. Nevermind.

I have zero party allegiance to any of them, still won't deprive myself of influence on purpose
You suggest you vote in 'party elections' and yet are not a member of a party...  Did you mean General Elections (and Council, and European, and possibly PCC/Mayoreal/etc too)? That's a different thing, and I explicitly do not disenfranchise myself through my party-indifference (as I already do not vote for a Party, when there are people to vote for, regardless of what party they are listed for).

It's an imperfect system to be true
"Democracy: the worst form of government. Except for all the others." And different brands of democracy solve and set their own unique problems, relative to their cousins, to make it 'fun'.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:55:52 pm by Starver »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

God I hope nobody thinks I'm an intelligent leftpondian. I just now realized Belgium is a country, and LW is apparently a Brit. I'm torn because I love the stuff he does in DF, but I've got a mix of Native American and Scot ancestry so...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Wait, what do public and private schools mean in the Muricas?

I just now realized Belgium is a country
To be fair, I know piss all about American geography so it's a two-way street.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Public = Ran by the government, open enrollment.

Private = Not ran by the government, closed enrollment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also note that you only pay through taxes and such for public schools, while private schools are generally out-of-pocket for the parents or whoever as I recall.

I just now realized Belgium is a country
To be fair, I know piss all about American geography so it's a two-way street.
I mean, somewhere in the back of my trivia-organ I knew it because I've seen maps (same way I know about say, Zaire, Trinidad and Tobago, and Lichtenstein) but it never really clicked that stuff happens in Belgium, same way I never really think about what is going on in Illinois I guess.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Public = Ran by the government, open enrollment.

Private = Not ran by the government, closed enrollment.
Oh. That's... what it means here. What is it in the UK?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

As I recall the UK has three categories, public, private, and state none of which make any sense and majorly confuse Uklanders when they hear Americans almost all attend public schools.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

US Public School = UK State School
US Private School = UK Prep/Public School

Apparently?

Also Zaire is now the DRC, damn Africa with the changing maps and whatnot!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 107