Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why you should play adventure mode.  (Read 6583 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Why you should play adventure mode.
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:37:36 pm »

I have a wall of text for you, you don't have to read it but I think you will appreciate what I have to say about the most in depth RPG ever made and why you should try it.

I have always been an avid dwarf fortress adventure mode player. Ever since version 31.
I see a lot of people put off of the new adventure mode by the UI, but the UI is just as good as fortress mode and it is most definitely worth learning. Also press  ‘?’ for key bindings it has them all in a nice easily read format.

What it is and why you should play.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slowly but surely adventure mode has had more and more content packed into it, with every update it has become more complex, like fort mode, remember every update to fort mode also has some kind of effect in adventure mode. With the vampire and were beast update we now have vampires hiding in villages under the guise of residents were creatures wandering the wilds during the full moon and hiding in caves when not transformed...mummies hiding in tombs. Tombs ripe with treasure for you to plunder unknowing of the danger you put yourself in. Towns with markets, sewers and catacombs and dungeons underneath them for you to explore. Rodent man infestations in the sewers for you to deal with vampires to purge. Towns to explore. Markets to barter in. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then the world came alive.

With the world activation update the world is now alive as you play... every effect you have on the world has an effect... that vampire you killed. He is no longer killing people... those beasts you kill. No longer threatening the villagers or your own fort. That goblin army you intercepted in the night. Sleeping in their camps and then obliterated will no longer be a threat to the town they were going to sack... though they won't be truly stopped until you find the slab with the demon's true name defended by the servants of the gods. The gods that betrayed their worshippers and brought a  demon into the world for some silly reason like after "musing about fish" or for some more sinister reason  "so that fortresses may be tested and destroyed" or "so that war may never end" .. And banish the demon forever into hell. Or perhaps force him to become your own dark servant. Then the goblins will be far less of a threat to the world because they can send out armies as you play now. But without their leader they will be far less successful.

The game has more choices then pretty much every other RPG I have ever played. And there are no plot restrictions...
You could go to a village... find out about the recent bandit attacks and then, you have many choices:

Perhaps find the camp and join them. And become a brigand and rob people in the streets demanding gold and clothing from them in the middle of their own village. Become rich. Beat people and rob them.

Or perhaps be sneaky. Use your new allegiance to kill the leader and become the leader yourself.  You can also get tasks from the leader to complete...

You could also be a hero and kill the bandits and become a "defender of the helpless" or hunt animals and become a legendary hunter. Or hunt night creatures and rid the nobles of "nuisances" like vampires and become a hero or night creature hunter.

You could kill the bandits and ask the lord to become a hearth person, a knight of the lord and get tasks from the lord to rid the world of beasts and bandits alike and help your lord go up in the world of course...

Or you could do nothing and let them keep robbing the people for you have better things to do with your time. Just be careful... the bandits will rob you just like they rob anyone else.

And then you could go off and do pretty much anything else you want.

This huge amount of choices is prevalent in the game. Not only with bandits but with everything. Why fight the necromancers when you can become one yourself. Unless you want to be a hero. Maybe become a performer for the tower. Hell... why not just be the bard for the head necromancer and entertain them for eternity.

Why even care? Perhaps become a vampire and live off the blood of the innocent, hiding your identity and your murders as you go and traveling the world...ageless...free to do what you wish.
You could go further. Why not become an incarnation of evil itself become  a vampire->necromancer-> then walk into the glowing evil mist and then wander the evil parts of your world until you succumb to them as a thrall of evil incarnate... a mist thrall... a death knight. A creature on par with the gods then precede to kill every single living creature in the world…bring about the apocalypse.
The combat model is ludicrous you can do crazy things like jumping past two people and slashing at them both at the same time as you pass by.. You could come up behind someone and jab two daggers at the same time into their back and many other things. We will probably be swinging on chandeliers soon enough.
Become agile …jump over rivers\climb trees and jump down to ambush people.

The tavern update then came.

You can now fully customize your characters personality and values.  You now have needs based on your characters personality and values that you need to accomplish to keep your character content. If you do really well at role playing based on your characters personality and values you even get buffs. It’s almost like playing a virtual version of D&D except with more to do.
Now adventurers can become bards and can perform music, dances, poems, or create their own. And spread the music and spread stories throughout the world.  People recognize how good you are and soon enough people are asking you to perform in their taverns offering free rooms and free drinks just so that you can attract more guests to their establishment.
You can rent rooms at inns... inns that are subject to attacks by night creatures in the night....drink at the inns...become drunk...perhaps too drunk a drunkenness that results in a bar fight a drunkenness that results in death by alcohol poisoning. Or maybe make friends ask the people in the tavern to join you on your quest, whatever quest that is.
Not sold yet?  Perhaps you could go to a library and read about the world and the knowledge of the world or you could write your own books become a philosopher… seeing copies of the books you wrote showing up in other libraries and even at your fortresses. Perhaps your dwarves will critique that book in fortress mode then you could critique theirs just like real life. Why not write books and debate people, you can now debate people over values in adventure mode, you can convince people to change their ways through voice through discussion, and perhaps you are an elf and want to spread your philosophy of nature.. Why not write books about it (those who read them WILL get their values changed) or perhaps you can debate them directly and become a legendary persuader a legendary philosopher.
You can do even more... why not go to a temple and piss off the gods directly by toppling their statues and be cursed.

This entire post is only scratching the surface of what adventure mode allows you to do.

Dwarf fortress adventure mode is the most in depth RPG ever made. It is as worth if not more worth learning then how to play fort mode.
------------------------------------------------
You should try out adventure mode.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:41:15 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Why you should play adventure mode.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:51:33 pm »

I've always loved adventure mode I wish there were lps of it on YouTube because my computer's broken and I'm missing my dwarf fortress.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:19:00 pm »

I've always loved adventure mode I wish there were lps of it on YouTube because my computer's broken and I'm missing my dwarf fortress.
I've been watching an LP by  EveryoneLovesPirates on youtube.
I am an indie game dev!

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 04:22:45 pm »

How old is the LP I wanna see the new tavern stuff in action.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 04:25:06 pm »

How old is the LP I wanna see the new tavern stuff in action.

its ongoing actually.He doesnt know how the new stuff works but hes figuring it out.
I am an indie game dev!

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 05:02:00 pm »

Thanks!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 07:32:45 am »

I am an indie game dev!

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 07:51:34 am »

-op snip-

listen, i have a boyfriend and everything

But please fucking marry me.

....In combination with being high, this gives me a great idea for enjoying adventure mode again.
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 03:33:10 pm »

I played adventure mode several times and had moderate success at beating down night creatures in their lairs.  I always get bogged down with the conversation and questing interface.

I mean, killing the bandit guy found in the Dashes of Honey Cuddlers which is days South of here.  It is harder to find the place.  A couple of times I couldn't find the site and it gets frustrating.

I could have sworn there was an ascii line that showed me exactly where something was on a quest, but maybe I'm confusing it with Dwarf Mode patrol settings or something. :(

Any tips for mulling through the thousands of conversation topics and finding sites of interest?
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Aleksanderus

• Bay Watcher
  • Champion of the unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 03:58:44 pm »

Well said, my friend. Maybe even some some of the fortress mode cultists will convert!
his title changed to "thruthful chills"
Also known as : "Believe me when I say this guy is a psychotic murderer".

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 07:06:26 pm »

I played adventure mode several times and had moderate success at beating down night creatures in their lairs.  I always get bogged down with the conversation and questing interface.

I mean, killing the bandit guy found in the Dashes of Honey Cuddlers which is days South of here.  It is harder to find the place.  A couple of times I couldn't find the site and it gets frustrating.

I could have sworn there was an ascii line that showed me exactly where something was on a quest, but maybe I'm confusing it with Dwarf Mode patrol settings or something. :(

Any tips for mulling through the thousands of conversation topics and finding sites of interest?

theres several ways to navigate:

I was explaining to someone else earlier about how navigation works,  make sure you read what people are saying then ask someone 'for directions' to the place they mention. If you do not know the place ask someone for directions to the creature you are hunting they will "give you a  detailed description" and it will show up on your world map.   They may redirect you to someone more knowledgeable simply ask for directions to that person if that is the case, they usually hang out in meadhalls. Then ask that person to guide you there , it will show up on your upper left of the screen compass when they are guiding you as an @ sign and they will act as your companion until you get there, you can also " bring up your journey together" to the person and they will tell you the direction.

Without a guide:
 press "Q" then choose ('s')ites, if the map isn't showing press 'm' a couple times, then press 'f' to filter and  then type the name of the place, and press 'z' to zoom and you will be zoomed there. Also you could just get a guide to that place and it will give you the compass thing I mentioned.
Hopefully I was helpful, but yeah, its very menu intensive.. but so is the millitary screen in fort mode, so meh.
If you ask for directions, it shows up on your map bythe way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:08:21 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 04:38:43 am »

What about completing quests?  Is killing the master or chieftess enough?  Can you tell you've completed the quest?  Do you ever get a pat on the back or any kind of recognition by anybody for doing what you did?

I've cleaned half a dozen camps of bandits and criminals and got no appreciation besides people repeating what I told them when I ask for direction of where I already were and what I killed...  It's a little disappointing that you don't get any kind of feedback for your actions, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 05:45:53 am »

What about completing quests?  Is killing the master or chieftess enough?  Can you tell you've completed the quest?  Do you ever get a pat on the back or any kind of recognition by anybody for doing what you did?

I've cleaned half a dozen camps of bandits and criminals and got no appreciation besides people repeating what I told them when I ask for direction of where I already were and what I killed...  It's a little disappointing that you don't get any kind of feedback for your actions, unless I'm doing something wrong.
If you're playing the latest version and you're gettng no recognition at all, then yes you're doing something wrong. Make sure to tell a few people about the bandits you killed, they'll spread rumours about your deeds and you'll be recognised wherever you go (unless you travel further and faster than the rumours travel).

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 08:45:52 am »

If you're playing the latest version and you're gettng no recognition at all, then yes you're doing something wrong. Make sure to tell a few people about the bandits you killed, they'll spread rumours about your deeds and you'll be recognised wherever you go (unless you travel further and faster than the rumours travel).

From another person's reply on another thread concerning a similar topic - apparently I'm not on the latest version.  Also spreading rumors - I have yet to locate the latest version, but is it the same garbled up mess from before where I get to talk about some two humped camel attacking me (that I never even knew about until I read it in the rumors) or is it cleaner and more focused?  Either way thanks for the reply :)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 05:49:21 pm »

From another person's reply on another thread concerning a similar topic - apparently I'm not on the latest version.  Also spreading rumors - I have yet to locate the latest version, but is it the same garbled up mess from before where I get to talk about some two humped camel attacking me (that I never even knew about until I read it in the rumors) or is it cleaner and more focused?  Either way thanks for the reply :)

The rumor list is still extremely messy, though it is slightly less messy. It is still extremely messy.
There was a df hack script someone made that could filter by "slew" though. I never use df hack but I wish toady would implement something similar in vanilla, it would make life much less difficult.

Also there are other ways to spread rumors now.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quest
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: [1] 2