Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Inspired.  (Read 3996 times)

Turtle138

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inspired.
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:43 pm »

I hope this post is not in the wrong place, I know its suppose to be a topic about Dwarf fortress, which it is. After playing this game I have become inspired. I have started to learn about programming more and having the urge to learn the C language. (Why i choose C language is because that's what Dwarf fortress was originally written with, right?) Anyways, I've read a bit of Tarn's bio and I like the fact that him and his brother wanted to create their dream game. I have played fantasy games with my brother when I was younger, allowing me to immerse myself a bit. Playing this game allows me to enjoy how complex you can make a game with little graphics.(Also allowing me to enjoy fantasy games) The old style of this game urged me to create a game of my own like this. I'm a sophomore in high school, having the itch to learn how to create games like this, the complexity is amazing. Thanks Tarn and Zach. Your creativity is appreciated, you have inspired me to get into programming and enjoy the old style games. Hopefully I will be able to a create a game so complex like this, and ASCII style looking, (which I actually like.) The fact that you can procedurally generate a whole world and NPC's and how deep in depth this game can go. Makes me think back on the days me and my brother would sit side by side on our dinner table with old laptops and play so many different games.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:47:07 pm by Turtle138 »

Turtle138

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inspired.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 10:46:03 pm »

I have a feeling I put this in the wrong place, sorry for whoever has to move it. Did I mention Im new too the forums?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:50:29 pm »

Did I mention Im new too the forums?
No need, actually. The "Escaped Lunatic" rank identifies all who have recently joined (or rarely posted, perhaps.)
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 02:36:32 pm »

its written in c++ with sdl, note c and c++ are different.

I'm personally making a dark fantasy world generator game, with c++ and libtcod
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:08:11 pm »

Unless you already know C or C++, please consider using a newer language. C# via Mono is looking to deliver some good multiplatform support, Go and Rust are looking to be good up-and-coming languages that would be good to get into the ground floor on while retaining a pretty good speed. If it's your first language, C and C++ like to give you just enough rope to hang yourself with, especially starting out with them.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 04:35:11 pm »

They're not that different. C++ is C with some extra helpful stuff. C code compiles in C++. Pass by reference and strings are nice.

Python is good to learn programming with. C# is probably a decent choice for games (not that I've used it, but it's essentially C++ with garbage collection.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 05:09:17 pm »

They're not that different. C++ is C with some extra helpful stuff. C code compiles in C++. Pass by reference and strings are nice.

Python is good to learn programming with. C# is probably a decent choice for games (not that I've used it, but it's essentially C++ with garbage collection.)

Well, syntactically C ad C++ aren't that different. Idiomatically, however, they are miles apart.

I'll second Python being an excellent language to learn programming with.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 05:28:55 pm »

I recommend Python as a first language. Then move to Java or C#. C++ has a steep learning curve for new programmers. On the other hand, if you're here you are a DF player, so maybe you're ok with steep learning curves. But C++ is the Dwarf fortress of programming languages.

Now I do recommend C++ for games in general, but not when you're starting out. The reason is, of all popular high level languages, C++ has the greatest ability to optimize CPU bottlenecks, because it gives you more control over memory layout, especially compared to garbage collected languages. But starting out, optimising CPU bottlenecks is the least of your worries, and if you do run into them you can fix them by doing things a different way.

Disagree. What constitutes good style in C and C++ is very different, making them very different languages. For example, in C it's common to write your own linked list. In C++ you should be using std::vector for most such cases. C is simpler than c++, but you don't have good support for vital features like generic containers and OOP. I don't recommend using C if you can avoid it.

If you think C++ is just a few features tacked on to C, you're probably not a good C++ developer.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 05:38:39 pm »

I recommend Python as a first language. Then move to Java or C#. C++ has a steep learning curve for new programmers. On the other hand, if you're here you are a DF player, so maybe you're ok with steep learning curves. But C++ is the Dwarf fortress of programming languages.

Now I do recommend C++ for games in general, but not when you're starting out. The reason is, of all popular high level languages, C++ has the greatest ability to optimize CPU bottlenecks, because it gives you more control over memory layout, especially compared to garbage collected languages. But starting out, optimising CPU bottlenecks is the least of your worries, and if you do run into them you can fix them by doing things a different way.

Disagree. What constitutes good style in C and C++ is very different, making them very different languages. For example, in C it's common to write your own linked list. In C++ you should be using std::vector for most such cases. C is simpler than c++, but you don't have good support for vital features like generic containers and OOP. I don't recommend using C if you can avoid it.

If you think C++ is just a few features tacked on to C, you're probably not a good C++ developer.
As someone who has coded in both I agree with you.

I personally very much dislike python. Though it is good for new programmers, heck I did it when I was new aswell, though the real first one I did was lua.
Python forces you to indent in a specific way and I never liked that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:43:02 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 05:43:19 pm »

I personally very much dislike python.
Why?

I'm curious because I'm a bit of a language design enthusiast.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 05:43:51 pm »

I personally very much dislike python.
Why?

I'm curious because I'm a bit of a language design enthusiast.

I edited my post with why.
I am an indie game dev!

Turtle138

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 05:45:01 pm »

Thanks for the comment, and the advice on what languages I should get into learning first. Still deciding, I know a lot of people recommend python for starters which I might do just to get familiar with programming. Should I do python then? I might start with that, I'm just 'in a hurry' (I guess you could say) to learn a C language which I probably shouldn't be. I guess you guys have changed my mind a bit on having the desire to learn C (Instead learn C++) which I probably still will in the future 'hopefully'. I know that C++ is more of an 'Upgraded' or totally different language as some would put it. I've had this little struggle on choosing which language too start out with.
Thanks again for the replies.

Turtle138

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:18 pm »

Does everyone recommend python?

Turtle138

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »

I'm personally making a dark fantasy world generator game, with c++ and libtcod

That is awesome! I'll have to check it out (If its out.) How did you learn to create games like that?

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 07:26:18 pm »

Python is a 'nice' language, but if you're maybe trying to kill two birds with one stone by learning a more widely applicable language, learn C++.

Really, most companies these days if you want programming career use C++ widely, and generally will question on technical interviews regarding proficiency (for west US jobs).
Pages: [1] 2 3