Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ERRANT combat mechanics test: Now degenerated into a duelling club  (Read 4945 times)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Re: ERRANT combat mechanics test: Now degenerated into a duelling club
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »

Shoot them both with a burst of bullets. Then take cover.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:55:06 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 06:49:22 pm »

Grab area cover and deploy smoke cover on my position.  Then, if hiding my head behind my shield and cover would protect from the flashbang's effects, fire a 40mm flashbang at the midpoint between my two enemies.

If the flashbang would affect me, or if I can't have 40mm flashbangs, fire a 40mm HE at the crazed gunman wielding revolvers (two grenades if I can).

If I can't have my shield cover both directions, cover from the revolver guy.

"POLICE!  PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED!"

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 11:26:55 pm »

"Draw!"

Draw both guns and headshot them both simultaneously.

Grab area cover and deploy smoke cover on my position.  Then, if hiding my head behind my shield and cover would protect from the flashbang's effects, fire a 40mm flashbang at the midpoint between my two enemies.

If the flashbang would affect me, or if I can't have 40mm flashbangs, fire a 40mm HE at the crazed gunman wielding revolvers (two grenades if I can).

If I can't have my shield cover both directions, cover from the revolver guy.

"POLICE!  PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED!"

Shoot them both with a burst of bullets. Then take cover.

Fastest actions in order of who shot first: Ocelot -> Sean -> Henry

Ocelot rolls for shooting 2 pistols at close range, 4 shots in total +4 for skill, -2 for cover vs Sean, -4 vs Henry's shield, -1 for range -1 for duel wielding.
That's a total of (0) vs Sean, (-2) vs Henry

4, 4, 3, 2.
He hits Sean twice. in the (3,4) left and right arm, but they are only flesh wounds. (87, 39), (27, 97) Sean's arms now have a couple of magnum rounds lodged in them.

Sean rolls mind to see if he goes into shock. 1d6=6. He gets a rush of natural adrenaline and is all pumped up after being shot. He doesn't even feel the to-hit penalties.

Sean fires one close range burst at Ocelot, and one at Henry for +2 skill, -2 cover for Ocelot, -4 for the shield for Henry, +0 range, -1 burst fire
That's -1 vs Ocelot, -3 vs Henry

(5), (6)

Sean hits them both.
Ocelot is hit thrice
Henry is hit thrice

Ocelot is hit in the chest (7) and twice in the right arm (4). Ocelot's Interceptor armor bears the brunt of the chest shot. (1d100=97) His armor takes 10 damage.
The first 5.56mm round that goes through his right arm is a flesh wound. (96, 74). The second shatters his right elbow.

Edit: Ocelot rolls to resist the shattered elbow. (2). No cheese.

Henry is hit in the chest, right arm and head.
The chest shot finds its way through one the gaps in Henry's plates, Henry has a sucking chest wound that is suffocating him. (7,51,63,74)
The shot in the right arm is a flesh wound. (53,68)
The head shot misses his brain, but causes heavy bleeding in his skull. His eyeballs suddenly get fogged with blood. (22,64)

Henry helpfully fires a flashbang into the dead centre region between Ocelot and Sean, where it can't hurt anyone.

Sean:
Hitpoints: 150/150 - 20 (.44 magum) -20 (.44 magnum) -5 (major hemorrhaging) -5 (major hemorrhaging)
Total: 100/150 .44 magnum in left arm, .44 magnum in right arm.
Armor: 100/100

Ocelot:
Hitpoints:150/150 -6 (5.56mm) -6 (5.56mm) -5 (bleeding in right arm) - 10 (shattered right) elbow
Total: 123/150 Bleeding from right arm, shattered right elbow.
Armor 90/100

Henry:
Hitpoints: 150/150 - 6x3 (5.56mm) -15 (suffocating) - 5 (bleeding in right arm) - 15 (bleeding in the skull, partially blinded)
Total: 97/150 Suffocating from a chest wound, bleeding right arm, bleeding in the skull, partial red fog.
Armor 100/100

Sean
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Henry:

Ocelot:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:40:51 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 11:41:18 pm »

Fix up my arm then throw a grenade at Ocelot.

((Damn those were good rolls.))
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 11:52:34 pm »

((So... the shield doesn't actually block bullets?  Or would it only have blocked bullets from Ocelot, despite granting a cover bonus for both?  Also, in the mission we ran before, the flashbang affected enemies futher than eight meters away from it.  I'm not gonna say that's more realistic (because it isn't), but consistency, man.))

Check if the smoke grenade I said to deploy last turn was actually deployed.  If not, deploy it now.  Then, fire a 40mm HE at the guy with the rifle.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 11:56:50 pm »

Take some cover and Hunker down. Bandage up my bleeding.
You're pretty good!

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 12:50:41 am »

((So... the shield doesn't actually block bullets?  Or would it only have blocked bullets from Ocelot, despite granting a cover bonus for both?  Also, in the mission we ran before, the flashbang affected enemies futher than eight meters away from it.  I'm not gonna say that's more realistic (because it isn't), but consistency, man.))

Check if the smoke grenade I said to deploy last turn was actually deployed.  If not, deploy it now.  Then, fire a 40mm HE at the guy with the rifle.

You deploy the smoke grenade. It wouldn't have saved you from the gunfire though.

Take some cover and Hunker down. Bandage up my bleeding.
You're pretty good!

Fix up my arm then throw a grenade at Ocelot.

((Damn those were good rolls.))

Everyone except Henry takes some time out for first-aid. So he shoots first. Then Sean will be grenade chucking, then Ocelot will be hunkering down.

Henry fires a 40mm grenade at Sean. +4 shooting, +1 range, -2 for cover. 1d6=5
Sean intuition rolls a 6. He stops first-aiding to roll to dodge. 6+1. He leaps like never before. for an epic 1d6+1... 7 meters away from the blast. He has a 0.278 chance of taking shrapnel... and he takes shrapnel. It hits him in the left leg. It does 11-5 damage. He also fractures his femur and tears a hamstring.

Sean rolls to resist the criticals. He manages not to tear his hamstring, but his femur is still broken. (4+1) (1+0)

Sean mind rolls... 5, he's fine and keen for more fighting.
He chucks a grenade at the Ocelot. +1 skill -2 look ma, no arms muscles. (3-1) It falls a bit short and explodes 8.65 meters, smack in the centre. And no one is hit.

The Ocelot licks its wounds in peace. (4) He slaps some heavy bandages on his right arm wound and tapes it up. Then it splints its arms to help prevent aggravation.

Sean Hitpoints: 100/150 .44 magnum in left arm, .44 magnum in right arm. Big bullet trauma -6 shrapnel in left leg, -5 bleeding from left leg. -10 broken femur, -5 torn hamstring. -5x2 existing magnum hemorrhaging
Total: 64/150 Magnumed in the left and right arm, shrapnel wound in left leg, hamstring torn, femur broken. 2 endurance critical rolls taken.

Henry:
HP: 97/150 Suffocating from a chest wound, bleeding right arm, bleeding in the skull, partial red fog. -15 suffocating -5 bleeding right arm -10 red fog
Total: 67/150 Suffocating from a chest wound, bleeding right arm, bleeding in the skull, partial red fog.

Ocelot
Hitpoints: 123/150 Bleeding from right arm, shattered right elbow. - patched up right arm, splinted elbow
Total 123/150 right arm bandaged, right elbow splinted 1 endrance critical roll taken.
Armor: 90/100

Henry

Sean

Ocelot
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:03:30 am by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 12:58:35 am »

drop smoke on my self then burst fire at both ocelot and Henry. Then fix myself
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:27:54 am by MidnightJaguar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:41 am »

"Is that all you got?!"
Drop a smoke on my positions and sprint towards the nearest enemy and point-blank shoot them in the head.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:10:13 am by Egan_BW »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 01:07:34 am »

If you make a first aid action, the guy who shoots at you always goes first.

Ocelot: it's an equilateral triangle. I'm going to toss a coin.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 03:19:20 pm »

((A 40mm fire out an M203 has a velocity of 76m/s, and Sean was 17.3 meters away.  To have dodged seven meters away, Sean would have had to travel at 30.4 m/s--nearly three times as fast as the fastest speed Usain Bolt has ever ran.  Sean literally moved fast enough that it wouldn't have mattered if I had fired a 5.56--he'd still have moved out of the way.

As far as physical laws, there's no reason one should be able to dodge any significant distance from a 40mm, if they can't dodge bullets.  You only need to move about one foot to have any bullets aimed at you miss completely, but you need to move several meters to prevent a 40mm from being an instakill.

If you want launcher grenades to be dodgeable, I suggest you only let the user make a slight dodge--shifting their position by a foot or so, so that the grenade just sails past them.  It wouldn't have helped in this case, but the vast majority of the time it would be a more significant nerf, and it would make more sense too.

Also, if 40mm grenades are OP, you could give the launcher higher penalties and enforce the arming range; according to wikipedia, the grenade I fired has an arming range between 14 and 27 meters, so it could very well have just not armed, even if it did hit Sean.

Lastly, Sean changed his position by seven meters.  That means he's within melee range of at least one of his opponents--either he's near me, and he suffers a penalty to shooting at both me and Ocelot, or he's near Ocelot, and Ocelot will charge him.))

If Ocelot is charging at me, fire a 40mm grenade into him.

If Ocelot already charged at me, and he's too close to fire a grenade without self-harm, fire three bursts from the MP7 at him.

If Ocelot already charged, and is currently engaged in a grapple with me, fire three called shots to the head with my revolver (also roll to keep his pistols off me)

If Ocelot charged Sean, fire a 40mm HE at Sean.  If they're in a melee, I hit Ocelot on a failure, guaranteeing I hit one of them.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 04:27:41 pm »

If Ocelot is charging at me, fire a 40mm grenade into him.

If Ocelot already charged at me, and he's too close to fire a grenade without self-harm, fire three bursts from the MP7 at him.

If Ocelot already charged, and is currently engaged in a grapple with me, fire three called shots to the head with my revolver (also roll to keep his pistols off me)

If Ocelot charged Sean, fire a 40mm HE at Sean.  If they're in a melee, I hit Ocelot on a failure, guaranteeing I hit one of them.

drop smoke on my self then burst fire at both ocelot and Henry. Then fix myself

"Is that all you got?!"
Drop a smoke on my positions and sprint towards the nearest enemy and point-blank shoot them in the head.

Ocelot lets the RNG gods decide who he is charging. (2) He charges at Henry.

Both Ocelot and Sean drop smoke at their positions.

Ocelot starts to sprint at Henry. Henry will shoot a 40mm grenade at Ocelot. Then Sean will shoot at both of them. Then the Ocelot will enter snuggle range with Henry if it's able to.

Henry shoots a 40mm grenade at Ocelot for +4 shooting, -2 for red fog. Ocelot sprints at -2 to henry's shooting. The smoke adds another -2. Total of -4. Henry rolls a 5. It's not good enough though. The pain just prevents Henry from shooting straight.

Sean shoots Henry and the Ocelot. Sean gets +2 shooting. -1 for burst fire. There's also smoke everywhere for a further -2.
Henry is hiding behind a shield for -4.
Ocelot is sprinting for -6.

Sean rolls a 2 and 4. Both bursts miss.

Ocelot snuggles Henry real close. Ocelot has +1 melee, +2 strength, +2 dex. Henry has +2 strength and is a bit foggy.
Ocelot brings his pistol into line with Henry's face. He rolls a 6. Henry blocks and rolls a 4, moving the pistol just out of line.

Sean sits back from the brawl and licks his wounds, patching up his arms with bandages.

Henry:

Hitpoints: 67/150 Suffocating from a chest wound, bleeding right arm, bleeding in the skull, partial red fog. -15 suffocating. -5 bleeding - 10 red fog.
Total: 37/150 Suffocating from a chest wound, bleeding right arm, bleeding in the skull, partial red fog.

Sean:

Hitpoints: 100/150 .44 magnum in left arm, .44 magnum in right arm. Big bullet trauma. Wounds bandaged.
Total: 100/150 .44 magnum in left arm, .44 magnum in right arm. Bandaged arms.

Ocelot:

Hitpoints: 123/150 Bleeding from right arm, shattered right elbow.
Total: 123/150 Bandaged right arm, shattered right elbow.

Henry:

Sean

Ocelot

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:44:40 pm by Aigre Excalibur »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47:26 pm »

Drop the revolver in my hand, draw the axe and hack at Henry's weapon arm.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 05:06:48 pm »

Fire another burst at both of them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3