Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114674 times)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: ORO: Senile ghosts bumbling through the magical realm of mutilation
« Reply #1170 on: January 04, 2017, 09:59:39 pm »

Is it too late to get IN?
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 04, 2017, 10:21:02 pm »

Quite probably. :P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1172 on: January 22, 2017, 04:01:34 pm »

So I've been thinking about ORO and how to continue it. The form its in is too complex for me to really have much fun running. I know some people like it but eh, thats just me. The way I was thinking was to rework the basic system a bit and return it to its dungeon crawl roots. Sort of a Darkest Dungeon with a very weird demonic urban vibe.

The system changes I've got in mind are:

1. Modified D100 system for the basic mechanics. And by modified I mean a weird hybrid of RTD and D100, where the range of your roll matters. For instance, lets assume your skill level is 50. If you roll 50-41 (Or 50-45, not really sure on the exact numbers yet)  then you succeed but only just barely. If you roll 40-31, then you succeed just as you intended. And if you roll 30-21, then you succeed gloriously! But the inverse is true too. If you fail by a small amount, then you only just fail, if you fail by a fair portion, you fail normally, and if you fail by a lot then you fail horribly!   This way its not just a pass or fail and it retains some of that RTD fun of botching a roll.  It also makes the effect of boons and negatives much easier for me to keep in my stupid head. +5 is +5% of something working. Got it.  No more fucking around with complex math I am bad at.

2. A combination of monster hunter and Body snatcher mechanics where you make items out of demon guts as well as enhancing yourself. To keep things more restrained the demonic enhancements aren't done on the fly and are limited to specific slots where you can stick parts that give bonuses or unique powers. This way you can still become a horrible demon, just not in a way that requires a spreadsheet to track.

3. Semi-free roam design; essentially give you a starting town up on the "surface" and make various missions available to you.

4. Experience system stolen Adapted from 5MORE (An interesting system but the documentation of it is somewhat indecipherable at times) where you become more accomplished at a task by performing it. Namely, when you roll a great success you get another roll and if you succeed on that second roll you get experience in that skill. After a certain amount of experience, you level that skill up.

5. I'm looking into and thinking about combat methods, so It might not be the same as Dig's d100 combat.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: January 22, 2017, 05:35:39 pm »

Maybe corruption gain could be linked to failure vs success. So like, if you have a success or minor fail while a using demon part's ability, nothing happens. However, if you have a moderate failure, you gain like 1d6 corruption, and on an epic fail, you gain 4d4 corruption or something. and you can meditate while not in combat to try to lose corruption, but if corruption goes to high, you go demon.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: January 22, 2017, 06:46:09 pm »

Oh, Piecewise is posting more system stuff.  I guess it's time for me to complain.

Is 1d100 that much better than 1d20?  It just allows for a little bit extra granularity--if you're making changes of five points (yes, I know that was just a random example), then you're essentially making a d20 system with more unnecessary numbers.  And that can result in fuzzy weirdness with optimization, like in Dig where you want a Mind stat that's one point above a number divisible by five, because it means you're guaranteed to survive one more turn of being dead.  Also, weirdly, 1d100 seems to result in less variety in characters--In Dig, a profession gives you only a 12.5% skill boost in one skill, and in Oro everyone had nearly identical stat averages due to the large number of dice rolled to randomize starting skill.  Compare to WIZARDS or NuER, which feel like they have more differentiation between characters.

For the success levels, are they flat tiers of success, as in beating the target by twelve points always results in the same level of success, even if the target was 13 or 113?  Meaning low skill people can never hope to get the equivalent of an RTD's 6-1?  I'd think not, since experience growth depends upon a "great success", which would mean people with super low skill can never get better.  I just can't see how you'd do something else while still keeping it simple.

If experience only comes when you score a great success, does that mean extremely skilled people who succeed by larger margins would snowball their skill?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1175 on: January 22, 2017, 10:22:17 pm »

The way I'm thinking after considering is doing it like this: If the roll is within 5 of your target, that's a narrow win or loss. 15 more or less than that (ie 6-20 off) and thats a success or failure normal. Anything more or less than that is a big loss or win. This gives you a pretty big margin of error and means that people with real big stats can still fail but not hideously.

In terms of combat, we compare the degrees of failure and success so that even dual failure can end in someone's advantage (sometimes). I'm thinking it should breakdown like this: You deal increasingly more damage depending on the difference between the two rolls. If the two are identical, then whoever either fails by the least or wins by the most relative to their target number is the winner. They deal no damage but gain the advantage the next round. If the rolls are "Abutting" such as a slim win vs a normal win, then 1/2 damage is dealt. If they are 1 apart, such as win vs big win, they deal normal damage. Two apart, they deal 2 times damage and so on.  Big win vs big loss deals 4 times damage.

I'm considering how to handle limb severing too. I'm thinking of making it so that the only way to get the limb is to sever it mid fight. Under normal circumstances you swing random and have a 25% sever chance for any limb reduced to 0 hp. You can pick a limb for a -5 disadvantage, and both pick a limb and try to deal severing damage (ie 100% chance of sever if you reduce the limb to 0HP with that attack) for -10.

How weapons work is another conundrum. I'm thinking about having It effected by 3 things: Skill, Stat and Variable. Skill will just be a lock off thing. Need  X skill to use. Better weapons need more skill.  Second is Stat, and that would mean that your weapon would scale to some degree with your stat. So you could say a weak scaling weapon might have .1 scaling so 50 stat would be +5 damage. Meanwhile a high scale weapon might have .5, which would add +25 to the attack.  And Variable which is a particular set of dice to roll that acts as a bit of damage randomization.

So a long sword might be like
Sword skill 20, .1 scaling dex and str 3d4.   So at 60 dex, 40 str, you have 3d4+10 damage.

This seems kinda complex but with rounding and the fact that stats don't change often, it will be a fairly straight forward roll. Plus it lets weapons vary and also reflect character build!

Oh, Piecewise is posting more system stuff.  I guess it's time for me to complain.

Is 1d100 that much better than 1d20?  It just allows for a little bit extra granularity--if you're making changes of five points (yes, I know that was just a random example), then you're essentially making a d20 system with more unnecessary numbers.  And that can result in fuzzy weirdness with optimization, like in Dig where you want a Mind stat that's one point above a number divisible by five, because it means you're guaranteed to survive one more turn of being dead.  Also, weirdly, 1d100 seems to result in less variety in characters--In Dig, a profession gives you only a 12.5% skill boost in one skill, and in Oro everyone had nearly identical stat averages due to the large number of dice rolled to randomize starting skill.  Compare to WIZARDS or NuER, which feel like they have more differentiation between characters.

For the success levels, are they flat tiers of success, as in beating the target by twelve points always results in the same level of success, even if the target was 13 or 113?  Meaning low skill people can never hope to get the equivalent of an RTD's 6-1?  I'd think not, since experience growth depends upon a "great success", which would mean people with super low skill can never get better.  I just can't see how you'd do something else while still keeping it simple.

If experience only comes when you score a great success, does that mean extremely skilled people who succeed by larger margins would snowball their skill?
You have a point with the level up system. It's probably better to just go an ER route and reward level ups upon certain successes.

As per D100 vs d20, the main reason is basically d100 is more obvious to me as I balance (I suck at balancing) and lets me give more bonuses which people are always clamoring for at all times. Where as d20, even a +1 bonus is pretty big. If I remember right in D&D the max possible bonus is +10 and thats at a level attainable only by legendary monsters and demigods. Frankly, I have problems handing out advancements that aren't OP and d100 softens that.

As per success levels, I talked about them more above and hopefully that explains it more . Are you complaining that they're flat when they should be scaling?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1176 on: January 23, 2017, 11:39:38 am »

OOOOO I got an idea for ya Sy. How about a dice pool game where the dice are distributed around the body! That way severing limbs "Severs" the dice pool and weakens the opponent or you! And if you attach the limb you get those dice.

How thematic!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 23, 2017, 12:04:51 pm »

That's... interesting.  I do like dice pools.  Not sure how it would work though, and it could have problems depending on how the dice are spent--if you get one die per body segment, that's 6dX, and depending on the size of X that's really hurting the randomization.  Maybe if it were something like there being four stats, dex, str, endurance, and mind, with each body segment granting dice for different stats...  Say, a human head grants +2 mind dice, and an arm does +1 dex +1 str.  Balance it so that a starting human doesn't have many dice in any individual stat, but you have the option of, say, replacing arms with heads to gimp str/dex in favor of high mind....

Uh, that's getting really far from the system you were describing.  Currently exhausted, don't take me too seriously.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1178 on: January 23, 2017, 01:05:46 pm »

That's... interesting.  I do like dice pools.  Not sure how it would work though, and it could have problems depending on how the dice are spent--if you get one die per body segment, that's 6dX, and depending on the size of X that's really hurting the randomization.  Maybe if it were something like there being four stats, dex, str, endurance, and mind, with each body segment granting dice for different stats...  Say, a human head grants +2 mind dice, and an arm does +1 dex +1 str.  Balance it so that a starting human doesn't have many dice in any individual stat, but you have the option of, say, replacing arms with heads to gimp str/dex in favor of high mind....

Uh, that's getting really far from the system you were describing.  Currently exhausted, don't take me too seriously.

I was thinking of using a modified ORE (One roll Engine). Maybe Nemesis or GODLIKE. (www.arcdream.com/pdf/Nemesis.pdf)  Because ORE is about rolling the same number multiple times more than about rolling high all the time.

Really you try to do both but still.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:07:22 pm by piecewise »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1179 on: February 04, 2017, 05:03:49 pm »

So I've been talking to resident systems whiner Sy about Ouro. I'm currently trying to get the the thing up in a nice usable form to show you guys, along with considering methods of area generation. Straight generators are boring rooms and halls but doing things purely from scratch is very time consuming and requires good ideas. I'm working on ways to make the ideas and basics more available and then building on them.

I'll hopefully have more info for you soon.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 04, 2017, 05:49:52 pm »

sounds good. You could make the basic generator for stock rooms and fleshing out big areas around some custom rooms/ concepts. that way, each large area has atheme, but within the area is is easy to manage. gives a broad variety with a sameness of detail. Or something.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1181 on: February 05, 2017, 05:07:33 pm »

So the general idea for the basic system is the use of GURPS. The only problem is I'm not sure if the combat would work well in PBP or if it would even be to the liking of my players. There's an example of the AHEM "basic" rules combat here
Melee
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/melee/index.php?id=two-basic

Ranged
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/ranged/index.php?id=one

GURP's 3d6 system for stats works quite well and its what I'm gonna use for the basis of this system (Mainly due to the statistical distribution of rolls) but I don't know if this combat system is gonna cut it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1182 on: February 06, 2017, 08:30:08 pm »

So the general idea for the basic system is the use of GURPS. The only problem is I'm not sure if the combat would work well in PBP or if it would even be to the liking of my players. There's an example of the AHEM "basic" rules combat here
Melee
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/melee/index.php?id=two-basic

Ranged
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/ranged/index.php?id=one

GURP's 3d6 system for stats works quite well and its what I'm gonna use for the basis of this system (Mainly due to the statistical distribution of rolls) but I don't know if this combat system is gonna cut it.
Stunning silence here.  But I'm actually evaluating another game system to use that seems like it might work better. The combat is less clunky and difficult, and there's a huge amount of material that will work in the setting. Interesting methods of handling shooting too. Tons of subclasses and stuff. Thinking of running a test of combat.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 06, 2017, 09:37:54 pm »

I mean, you said "hey, i'm thinking of modifying Oro to use some gurps systems and a 3d6 roll mechanic." So I really had nothing to say. Just waiting for a little more info.

I guess yo uare looking for input? Sorry, I haven't got any for this part of it.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 88