Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114779 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #345 on: April 08, 2016, 10:59:11 am »

damn vertical maps.

Then just put the map on a table already.

Anyone here somewhat interested in the game but not gonna play? I'd like to have someone to look over things occasionally for a second opinion, but SEKRITS prevent me from allowing everyone from doing it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 08, 2016, 07:26:54 pm »

I don't know. I feel as though my opinion tends to deviate from the average player, and from PW's pretty notably most times, so my opinion might not be as valuable as another's. But, if you need someone to bounce ideas off of, I'll surrender my option to play so you can share. Perhaps I can be involved in a different way afterward. Who knows?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2016, 07:44:27 pm »

I envisioned Oro more as option one actually. I prefer it, though perhaps a biiiiiit abstracted. I feel that some bits of option two could be leaked in in places, but those leaks could be well defined.

I agree with this statement, here.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2016, 10:57:38 pm »

I envisioned Oro more as option one actually. I prefer it, though perhaps a biiiiiit abstracted. I feel that some bits of option two could be leaked in in places, but those leaks could be well defined.

I agree with this statement, here.
This is also why I would prefer option one.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2016, 12:02:09 am »

You're getting something...kinda a mix of the two. As in I'm not gonna worry about all the logistics of how demon city guts work exactly, but I am gonna have level consistency and interconnection stuff.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 12, 2016, 12:35:26 am »

You're getting something...kinda a mix of the two. As in I'm not gonna worry about all the logistics of how demon city guts work exactly, but I am gonna have level consistency and interconnection stuff.
So well defined paths that one can use as safe travel, lr as well defined and safe as you can be in a city trying to kil you, and then less well defined areas that morph and twist in each other.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:50:40 am by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 12, 2016, 07:31:27 am »

Did you decide to share your secrets with someone, PW?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #352 on: April 12, 2016, 09:31:05 am »

Did you decide to share your secrets with someone, PW?
As soon as I complete this first area I'll show someone for feedback. I'm going at this area by area. Unfortunately it's slow work what with all the fucking tests and shit they keep piling on me. By the time I get free time I really don't have the energy to sit down and create much.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #353 on: April 17, 2016, 09:49:26 am »

The first area is almost done, at least to the point of being presentable.

I continue to wonder about the paradoxical endevor of making a fighting system that is both quick and mildly in depth.

I'm beginning to wonder if we're gonna have to get into "automatic" systems where players preset character actions and when to use special abilities. Because 1 turn a day is far too slow to handle combat that could take several turns.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2016, 09:57:25 am »

Sounds like a job for a test game!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2016, 10:43:18 am »

Did you consider this idea for combat from some time ago?

for combat, one thing you could do is that people, when monsters are encountered, describe the kind of tactics they'd use, and then you run combat (multiple rounds) until something big happens (eg extra monsters appear from the walls) or you think they might have reason to change tactics (eg somebody got wounded bad).

So people still get a chance to react to the situation and such, without going through the battle blow by blow. Also helps prevent people having/trying to set up enormous flowcharts that dictate possible actions and counters, which might happen if the whole battle is done through preset actions.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #356 on: April 17, 2016, 12:08:45 pm »

Did you consider this idea for combat from some time ago?

for combat, one thing you could do is that people, when monsters are encountered, describe the kind of tactics they'd use, and then you run combat (multiple rounds) until something big happens (eg extra monsters appear from the walls) or you think they might have reason to change tactics (eg somebody got wounded bad).

So people still get a chance to react to the situation and such, without going through the battle blow by blow. Also helps prevent people having/trying to set up enormous flowcharts that dictate possible actions and counters, which might happen if the whole battle is done through preset actions.
I did, but there's the problem of how are weapon skills and such like that used? Automatically in the right situation?

Not to mention it kinda pulls players out of the game if I'm doing all their combat for them.

It's a conundrum that I can't even look to other systems to solve because everything else is based on doing things at a table or at least online over something like skype or IRC. The issue always comes back to the fact that I can't rely on players to post multiple times a day, and that they can't always rely on me to do that either.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2016, 12:22:26 pm »

I suppose we could try to do combat over some real-time format and than post the summary in the thread, only problem being that a lot of us are in different timezones.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 17, 2016, 12:37:51 pm »

Perhaps use something like katas? Players post a set of actions, involving different types of attack over multiple rounds (so turn-based).

e.g. a step forward and a lunge with a rapier, then quickly stepping back and blocking with a shield, before a sweeping slash with the rapier again.

The idea being that there is only time to attack along a set path, not to think and react (perhaps because special blessings are needed to survive the unholy speed of the demons, meaning that the brain cannot keep up with the magically enhanced attack speeds).

And you have planned the moveset of the enemy in advance. With different actions of the combatants interacting differently, so a spear thrust would do well against a massive bite, while a shield bash might lose someone an arm. Or a spear thrust might be knocked aside by a diagonal slash, while a shield bash would interrupt the weapon's path, jarring the user's arm.

Kinda fiddly, and a bit like RC's thing, but I can't see any real solution to the "depth in a single turn" problem without using a stupidly large number of choices, or a lits of actions.

Hope this makes sense.
One wheel short of a wagon

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 17, 2016, 12:50:43 pm »

The most problematic thing with your post is the implication that someone would use a shield with a rapier.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 88