Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 114651 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2016, 06:36:37 am »

I put on my robe and wizard dong of +3 purity.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2016, 06:50:46 am »

I'm hoping that everyone will just end up looking like a blinged up Cenobite, or the Gimp from Pulp Fiction in their holy crusade.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2016, 06:54:43 am »

ARM dresscode making a revival.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2016, 06:57:07 am »

We'll dress as wretchedly as possible, with clothes steeped in sin, yet consecrated with blessings so that we blend into the City ^__^
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2016, 09:51:01 am »

Hmm, thinking a little on it, I wouldn't be surprised if the society they live in was a very strict and hierarchical one, seeing as how life is probably harsh and resources limited, and a visible 'doomclock' is creeping ever closer and sends the occasional tentacle demon over to play.

The upper classes might be those whose bloodline is regarded as the 'purest'/least corrupted, with marriages kept between a few families to keep them pure. Perhaps the lower classes actually do get more random mutations and degeneracies, though maybe not like the ORO metaphysical corruption and more like a stumpy arm due to bad food and irradiated water sources (thought these two types might stem from the same source for all they know).

There might be a sort of purity police who keep the populace in check ('cleansers' or something like it) and monitor for overt signs of corruption or dissident. Soldiers who get part of themselves corrupted might be viewed a bit ambiguously: on the one hand, they now carry the mark of what they despise most because they weren't good enough, but on the other it shows they actually went out there and fought the damned city.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:52:39 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2016, 11:43:23 am »

Does the part about only holy weapons being effective on the demons mean we are non-firearm, or are there holy guns? Basically, are we talking holy bolt action rifles, or are we talking holy crossbows?
Are there any rules restricting what can be blessed? Or can we just start running into battle, flailing the giant floppy dildos that we've consecrated?
What makes something holy isn't simply a blessing, its what its made out of. By definition, a holy weapon is one which works against creatures from ORO. See, in the church's mind, ORO is the ultimate form of evil; all those other things like the unsouled men or inverse children are just off shoots or minor evils comparatively. So anything that can kill creatures of ORO is necessarily divine.But those sorts of weapons are usually made of very strange things and under very specific circumstances.  Your average sword has to be made of a particular metal alloy which includes the poisonous metals of the past and 8 years dried human bone marrow. And it has to be forged in a particular manner by a particular smith under the watch of at least 48 blind worshipers.

So bullets are possible, but goddamn they are expensive because they are single use. What you'll more than likely see is arrows or spears or something that can be reused.

Could you give details on this 'religion' or church you refer to? Is it some Abrahamitic offshoot, a pantheon, something vaguely 'spiritual' without going the full monty on specifying god(s) and religious practices?
The church is particular in that it is not mono or polytheistic. It doesn't have a god to worship so much as it is an overriding belief that anything which is inhuman is evil, and that humans are the rightful heirs of the world. You know that school of thought behind manifest destiny and divine right and Deus vult? It's like that, but bound up in the very idea of humanity. They believe that humans, in a "Pure and untainted form" are akin to gods in their capacities. The humans of the past fell from their natural pure form and the result was ORO. The humans of now have the mission of purging the world of the mistakes of their ancestors and returning to their natural state.

It's original sin, but it's an original sin you can get rid of through MURDER!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:49:06 pm by piecewise »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2016, 11:52:04 am »

Thanks for the answers.

So, kinda like the 40K thing of the 'holy human form' (deviation of which is heresy, because of course it is) and humanity's 'manifest destiny to rule the galaxy'. A cult of humanity, basically.

Hmm, it could be cool if they have a bunch of smaller 'saints' they honor (if not venerate) if they see them as promoting humanity's interests and destiny. Like Prometheus and such.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:55:28 am by Radio Controlled »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2016, 11:55:21 am »

So... some experimentation wil be involved in finding out what actually works on ORO? Because most weapons don't?

Will this mean that homecrafted stuff is a little complex or limited? Because most people don't carry 47 blind virgins able to sing the Lord's Prayer backwards in their toolkit. So how's that going to work?
One wheel short of a wagon

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2016, 11:57:51 am »

Darn, making a tank with those kind of manufacturing methods doesn't seem very practical. Unless we get a shitload of money and metal.

Still, I'm digging that church. With that kind of doctrine playing some kind of zealot seems like a lot of fun.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2016, 11:59:51 am »

One wonders how they stumbled upon the correct rites and such.

"Ok, so 47 blind worshipers ululating in D minor didn't work. We're gonna try the rest of the tone ladder, then add another worshiper, and if that doesn't work we try it from the top but in reverse and in pink."

Darn, making a tank with those kind of manufacturing methods doesn't seem very practical. Unless we get a shitload of money and metal.

Still, I'm digging that church. With that kind of doctrine playing some kind of zealot seems like a lot of fun.

Don't have to make the entire tank, just the shells, I think. Machineguns seem right out though. Then again, gatling harpoon launcher...

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2016, 12:01:08 pm »

Or they come with convulted ritual and decide it must work, and that's why it works.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2016, 12:16:22 pm »

Divine vision. One of their Most Holy's had a vision and they told everyone else.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2016, 03:51:13 pm »

Are we able to play as someone who isn't a follower of the church?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2016, 03:59:55 pm »

On the contrary, it sounds like a good investment. Imagine how complex making thirty consecrated katana-chainmail-longbow sets would be! A tank on the other hand only needs one set of rites for the casing, barrel, etc, and would let one bring all the holy city enchantments together in one place.

So you don't get the one guy with the superfast boots, one with the ultrastrong bow, one with the massive glowing sword, one with the energy-conversion armour, etc, due to player funds limits, but instead get all of these. So a high speed tank with an extremely powerful frontal bow, a massive red hot ramming spike and armour that gets stronger the more you hit it.
One wheel short of a wagon

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2016, 04:01:41 pm »

The ritual is actually completely irrelevant. It's just a smokescreen to deflect attention away from what actually makes the holy weapons work. [/conspiracy]

What about transforming/upgrading already existing weapons? The legendary sword getting shattered during a battle with a demon and then getting reformed into two knives, one partially corrupted, one pure. Or more likely, getting your holy baseball bat and upgrading it with electrified barbed wire.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:03:18 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 88