Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Stagnant? Doomed? Whose idea?  (Read 8499 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stagnant? Doomed? Whose idea?
« on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:21 pm »

I don't know what's getting into people lately, but there's been a lot of threads about stagnant doomed dwarf fortress lately...

Where the hell is this coming from?

There's been times when DF hasn't recieved an update in well over a year! Ever since world activation, Toady has been active and updating DF at rates that most mod developers couldn't hope to keep up with.

Multi threading, x64, FPS death...All of issue with this stuff is pretty much mitigated if you're using a 1/2 decent desktop, and by the time we're in a spot to where decent desktops of today can't  run dwarf fortress of tomorrow, we'll probably have quantum computers by then and much bigger things to worry about...

Yes I admit, my craptop cannot play Dwarf Fortress past year 5 without some tricks. But that thing can't run 4/5ths of the old games from the early 2000's anyhow. My desktop though is 7 years old and have had virtually no problems. The user interface I'm aware is ugly, but by no means does it break the game.

The community is alive, Toady is very actively releasing updates, the game runs on almost any desktop, donations have been decently high over last year. This game has virtually no death symptoms from my previous experience with indie games (TONS of failed indie games, thanks steam Greenlight). Maybe America elections got people stirred up idk.

Do any players have reasonable agreement to games imminent damnation, or is this just an influx of randomly panicking escaped lunatics? Am I maybe turning blind eye to a bigger problem?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:37:29 pm by quekwoambojish »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stagnant? Doomed? Whose idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 02:35:33 pm »

The community is also growing, I think its odd that people have been making these posts lately aswell.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 02:49:56 pm »

I'M NOT ALONE

THANK ARMOK

GET YOUR PITCHFORKS AND IMPALE THE HERETICS FELLOW BAY12ERS

DF WILL NEVER DIE

THE HERETICS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE VERY MUCH DOOMED

THEY WILL STAGNATE

WHEN I THROW THEM IN A POND

DEAD

((I have had it UP TO RIGHT HERE (points at Jupiter) with people who say doomed and stagnant. I feel just as you do.))
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 02:53:45 pm »

Those types of comments are as old as the community. 

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 03:00:47 pm »

That's a relief. I thought we were having an apocalypse of doomsayers.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 03:54:56 pm »

It's probably just one person or a small group of people raiding the forums in an attempt to get a rise out of us. In all honesty, Toady dying is a much greater threat looming over us than anything they've mentioned. I made a graph of percentile DF completeness vs years Toady has been working on DF, put logarithmic and power trend lines on it (because it sure as hell didn't look linear), grabbed the trend line equations, punched them into Wolfram Alpha and solved for percentile DF completeness=100. The power trend line predicted that DF will be complete in late 2085, while the logarithmic trend line predicted it would be complete in 2860. However, I suspect that over the next 3-5 years Toady is going to drop some big stuff on us like the myth generator he's been talking about recently and that will speed up progress so that we see DF completed in 10-20 years down the road.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 04:02:38 pm »

I don't think people raid the communities to express sentiments of doom and gloom. I've seen people who get deeply invested in the game and get hit by bugs or FPS death despair over the gap between what they anticipated and what actually exists. Whether due to impatience or entitlement they get disillusioned and make threads expressing as much, or simply wither away from the game.

This is natural for a game in constant alpha with long-standing and acknowledged playability issues.

Edit: not referring to anyone in particular, just my impressions.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:41:35 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 04:12:04 pm »

The tardwagon comes through once every year or so to tell us how Toady is doing everything wrong and we're all idiot zealots for not taking to the street over it. Such is life. I must say though, this year's catch has been fairly disappointing, we haven't even gotten a ten thousand word treatise on the subject yet.

I don't think people raid the communities to express sentiments of doom and gloom. I've seen people who get deeply invested in the game and get hit by bugs or FPS death despair over the gap between what they anticipated and what actually exists.
Neither of the last two guys were involved with the community in any kind of meaningful way. Second dude was on a fresh account, as far as I recall.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:18:55 pm by Dyret »

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 05:05:03 pm »

That's a relief. I thought we were having an apocalypse of doomsayers.

I know much that the younger gamer generations care ALOT about FPS and graphics. Apparently they can somehow tell the difference between 25-60fps.

Maybe a child youtube star recently made reference to dwarf fortress?

*Edit: Sorry if that did not make sense, what I'm trying to say is maybe the popularity of dwarf fortress for younger generations does not quite meet their one's expectations for graphics and/or visual. And recently maybe a younger persons game lead younger people to attempt to play dwarf fortress.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:12:57 pm by quekwoambojish »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:49 pm »

I know much that the younger gamer generations care ALOT about FPS and graphics. Apparently they can somehow tell the difference between 25-60fps.
The difference is noticeable, it's really a matter of whether or not you truly care about playing at 25 FPS vs playing at 60 FPS. I'd be happy if the FPS never dopped below 20 when I finally get around to affording myself a new computer.

*Edit: Sorry if that did not make sense, what I'm trying to say is maybe the popularity of dwarf fortress for younger generations does not quite meet their one's expectations for graphics and/or visual. And recently maybe a younger persons game lead younger people to attempt to play dwarf fortress.
Dwarf Fortress was always a young man's game, if by 'young' you mean 'late teens, early twenties'.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 05:54:00 pm »

The difference is noticeable, it's really a matter of whether or not you truly care about playing at 25 FPS vs playing at 60 FPS. I'd be happy if the FPS never dopped below 20 when I finally get around to affording myself a new computer.

Dwarf Fortress was always a young man's game, if by 'young' you mean 'late teens, early twenties'.

By young I mean 16 or less. Most players here I'd guess are from 18-27, but I'm not saying even younger is bad, just that they are probably used to higher graphic/UI/FPS being important for gaming, so dwarf fortress 'appears' to be outdated or stagnant.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 06:08:08 pm »

Nah, it's probably not kids. My money's on smug millennial hipsters.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 06:09:41 pm »

By young I mean 16 or less. Most players here I'd guess are from 18-27, but I'm not saying even younger is bad, just that they are probably used to higher graphic/UI/FPS being important for gaming, so dwarf fortress 'appears' to be outdated or stagnant.
I don't think age has anything in particular to do with it. Doomsaying, in my experience, seems to be a natural element of any fandom (not to mention the wider human experience: Look at all the doomsday predictions.) Doctor Who fans, for example tend to be afraid of the show being cancelled because of continuity overload, a purportedly unlikable Doctor, etc. Poor processing just happens to be one of the few things that can kill Dwarf Fortress, in lieu of market-constraints.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 06:20:05 pm »

I agree hipsters are smug, though this does not rule out youth as a potential offender. Perhaps youthful hipsters.

How about next time a new forum member join and doomspeaks, we covertly ask them questions that potentially identify where this is coming from? I doubt this is a series of random people completely unrelated. Maybe a forum of some sort.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 06:25:08 pm »

Never mind.

By briefly looking, age doesn't necessarily correspond to these posts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5