Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mood Mystery  (Read 2551 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mood Mystery
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:35:25 pm »

I have a secretive mood dwarf who is

...drawing pictures of a forest (I confirmed I have plenty of logs)
...drawing shining bars of metal (I confirmed I have plenty of ingots, in a variety of metals)
...drawing stacks of cloth (I confirmed I have yarn, silk, and plant-cloth varieties available)
...drawing cut gems (I confirmed I have dozens of both cut and uncut gems available)
...drawing stacks of leather (I just bought out a large caravan a season ago. I have THOUSANDS  of leather available.)

Also, he's not burrowed, there's no sort of civilian alert, and all of the above materials are accessible and not forbidden or marked for dumping.

What does he want?
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mood Mystery
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 08:50:57 pm »

Cloth can also mean un-woven thread. Got that?

Just checked, and yes, wool, spider silk, and hemp. (And holy cthulhu, how did I get Forgotten Beast silk thread??)
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:27:57 pm »

I have a secretive mood dwarf who is

...drawing pictures of a forest (I confirmed I have plenty of logs)
...drawing shining bars of metal (I confirmed I have plenty of ingots, in a variety of metals)
...drawing stacks of cloth (I confirmed I have yarn, silk, and plant-cloth varieties available)
...drawing cut gems (I confirmed I have dozens of both cut and uncut gems available)
...drawing stacks of leather (I just bought out a large caravan a season ago. I have THOUSANDS  of leather available.)

Also, he's not burrowed, there's no sort of civilian alert, and all of the above materials are accessible and not forbidden or marked for dumping.

What does he want?

Well, which workshop did he take?  What's his highest moodable skill?  That will give you a clue what the base material of the artifact is going to be, which will tell you where in this list is the starting point.

I'm guessing he claimed a forge, and is stuck on metal, and it's because he has a preference for a specific kind of metal, and you don't have bars of that particular metal available.  But it could be something else entirely.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:56:26 am »

I've had a couple of cases recently where all of the cloth of the desired type was forbidden (to save it for moods). I unforbade the cloth, but the bugger didn't react. it just sat there until I produced new cloth of the desired type.
Also, I've never seen any use of thread for moods.

I would guess you actually don't have much of the FB silk thread. The stocks screen lists the webs cluttering the caverns, and so, is very misleading when it comes to silk, especially given that you can't order it spun, but have to issue a separate collection order first.

If the dorf has started the collection of items you can find which one it's stuck on by looking at the workshop with 't'. That will show what's been collected so far, and by looking at the last item in that collection and comparing to the list you should be able to figure out which one causes the problem. Also note that if several items of the same kind are required, that item is displayed longer by the dorf, not multiple times.

And ensure the item(s) isn't locked in a bin blocked by another dorf's job.

There's also a DFHack command to view exactly what a mood requires.

When it comes to metal, I think you'll have to produce a bars of a kind of metal at least once for a dorf to require it (i.e. caravan bought doesn't count), but if you've since run out you may have a problem, but should be able to melt down an item forged from that metal (or possibly two items, if one doesn't produce a full bar).

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 05:12:52 am »

There's also a DFHack command to view exactly what a mood requires.
Yeah, that's my usual go-to for mysteries like this, but I don't think it's updated for 06 yet?

Well, which workshop did he take?  What's his highest moodable skill?  That will give you a clue what the base material of the artifact is going to be, which will tell you where in this list is the starting point.

I'm guessing he claimed a forge, and is stuck on metal, and it's because he has a preference for a specific kind of metal, and you don't have bars of that particular metal available.  But it could be something else entirely.

Actually, it's a clothiers shop. Looks like highest moodable skill is "weaver". Preferences: "Kimberlite, fine pewter, black opal, aye-aye leather, cabochons, and donkeys for their stubbornness.  (Don't have any kimberlite, black opal, or aye-aye leather, but I've never seen a dwarf get stuck on a particular rock type, gemstone, or leather type before.)

I would guess you actually don't have much of the FB silk thread. The stocks screen lists the webs cluttering the caverns, and so, is very misleading when it comes to silk, especially given that you can't order it spun, but have to issue a separate collection order first.

Good call. Turns out that it is still in web-form in the forgotten-beast-infested caverns, not actually "stocked".

If the dorf has started the collection of items you can find which one it's stuck on by looking at the workshop with 't'. That will show what's been collected so far, and by looking at the last item in that collection and comparing to the list you should be able to figure out which one causes the problem. Also note that if several items of the same kind are required, that item is displayed longer by the dorf, not multiple times.

And ensure the item(s) isn't locked in a bin blocked by another dorf's job.

Has collected one piece of sheep-wool fabric. So he's either stuck on a second piece of fabric or on logs (the next item in the list is "a forest".) All the types of fabric and thread are sitting in bins in a workshop not five tiles away from him. The logs are further away, but still very much accessible.

I've switched Workshop orders to weave all thread, rather than just dyed thread, to see if that helps by kickstarting some new fabric generation

When it comes to metal, I think you'll have to produce a bars of a kind of metal at least once for a dorf to require it (i.e. caravan bought doesn't count), but if you've since run out you may have a problem, but should be able to melt down an item forged from that metal (or possibly two items, if one doesn't produce a full bar).

Only bars I've produced in-house are copper and silver (only ore found so far is tetrehedrite). Wait. Except for melted objects. Not sure everything I've produced that way, hmmm. Must investigate. (Though I do have three caravan-bought fine-pewter bars, which is what his preference is for).

EDIT: Looks like he just wanted a fresh bit of wool, rather than any of the ones already available. As soon as the weaver finished making an undyed wool cloth, he claimed it. (He's now stuck again, but he's likely just waiting for the weaver to produce another wool for him.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:17:57 am by MobRules »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 10:54:31 am »

Sounds like my issue with the forbidden cloth (has happened to me twice recently). This might mean we should forbid thread as a mood reserve, rather than the cloth itself. Stocked cloth is usually OK, though, so this strange behavior isn't consistent.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 02:50:34 pm »

Is there any chance your cloth had previous been snipped for wound dressing?  That leaves the piece of cloth less than whole, so it can't be used in crafting (or presumably in strange moods).  There's no way to tell just by looking at the cloth in the game interface, either.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 04:39:30 pm »

In my cases, no. I've forbidden multiple pieces, and visits to my hospital are very rare (just had what I think is the second one in over 60 years, when someone started a brawl with one of my little gremlins. Pick on someone your own size!).

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 07:05:55 pm »

My fort is now the proud owner of an artifact sheep wool sandal.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 08:20:15 pm »

Is there any chance your cloth had previous been snipped for wound dressing?  That leaves the piece of cloth less than whole, so it can't be used in crafting (or presumably in strange moods).  There's no way to tell just by looking at the cloth in the game interface, either.

I don't think strange moods care about the "size" of an object. Back when the bone-use bug would leave unusably tiny chunks of bones lying around, those remnants were still usable for strange moods.

My guess would be that the yarn cloth shown in the stocks screen was stored in the hospital, making it unusable for non-hospital jobs (including moods).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 08:36:08 pm »

I don't think strange moods care about the "size" of an object. Back when the bone-use bug would leave unusably tiny chunks of bones lying around, those remnants were still usable for strange moods.

My guess would be that the yarn cloth shown in the stocks screen was stored in the hospital, making it unusable for non-hospital jobs (including moods).

Actually, cloth for primary mood requests does check dimension. In fact, it's the only one that checks for dimension - secondary cloth requests (for decorations) and metal bar requests in general will freely use partial items.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.