Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jammed burr mill coffee grinder  (Read 1692 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
jammed burr mill coffee grinder
« on: March 05, 2016, 02:21:26 pm »

After grinding ~2 lbs of beans, I decided to fill the rest of the airtight container I keep it in with a finer grind of the cheap emergency coffee I've been drinking. I apparently underestimated the quantity, and kept trying to grind when the chamber was so full that the coffee was compressed in the chute. After I cleared the chamber and brushed out the chute as well as I could, the grinder wouldn't restart.

I've ground pre-ground coffee in this before, so that can't be a problem. This is only a little past warranty (18 months) but I've seen this model last up to 4 years in a friend's kitchen. How much of this should I clean, how much of it can I clean, to potentially get this working again?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: jammed burr mill coffee grinder
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:35:47 pm »

Is this motor driven, or is this hand crank driven?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:21:22 pm »

Is this motor driven, or is this hand crank driven?
It's motor driven, and I've washed all the detachable parts and I think I've cleaned out everything else reachable with the brush end of the scoop.

Maybe I should replace this with a hand-cranked; I imagine it would last longer. Still, >18 months is the most usage I've ever gotten from a coffee grinder. If it will actually last 4 years, I think it's worth repairing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 09:52:24 pm »

Check to be sure that the drive shaft is not being mechanically jammed up by coffee powder/debris.

You might also need to blast the motor's cooling ports with compressed air. There might be stuff that found its way in there as well. Without seeing the device in question, I can't suggest where else to check.

Does it make any laboring noises at all when you try to turn it on?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 03:31:59 pm »

It doesn't make any sound, and because there are no indicator lights I can't be sure it's getting juice. I don't have a screwdriver long and slender enough to it open up. I don't know that I can fix it with that, but I need to update my electronics toolkit anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 06:49:19 pm »

you can tell if it is getting juice (and how much) by getting one of those "power use meters" at a place like lowes or home depot.

I suspect that the drive shaft is stuck in place by debris. You would need to open the shell of the device and remove the debris. That WILL void the warranty.  ALTERNATIVELY, you can try to manually rotate the the drive shaft (with it unplugged!!) using a soft cloth wrapped around the shaft, and attaching a vicegrip pliers, then using mechanical advantage (leverage) to turn the shaft. Once unsiezed, there is a chance the debris will work itself loose.

Personally, I would disassemble and clean, warranty be damned.  Others would seek warranty service. It's up to you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:51:54 pm by wierd »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:15 am »

Set the grind to the absolute coarsest you can and try brushing it out?  But "no motor sound" is a hint it's probably not just jammed...

#2 is to download the manual, and see what their debugging steps are, I know my grinder has a circuit breaker and a fuse, and a quick google shows things like "The grinder is equipped with both a circuit breaker and a shear disc release to protect the motor and burrs" for various models.  Also try calling the company if the manual is too vague and there's no easy circuit breaker to reset...

ED: Oh and geez, why are you pregrinding so much coffee?   The huge benefit of *having* a good grinder is fresh grinding coffee just before brewing...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:21:56 am by gimlet »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 01:36:44 pm »

Set the grind to the absolute coarsest you can and try brushing it out?  But "no motor sound" is a hint it's probably not just jammed...
Yeah, I figured. I've done everything I could without opening it up, I just need the screwdriver to do that.

ED: Oh and geez, why are you pregrinding so much coffee?   The huge benefit of *having* a good grinder is fresh grinding coffee just before brewing...
I got a lot more than I have room for, so I needed to consolidate to make space.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:55:26 pm »

If you got that many beans, bags filled with cofffee (or any other similar sized hard) beans make good pillows for the couch, or even to sleep on. Just makes sure there's a layer of plastic around them so they don't draw moisture. They'll keep fresh as long as you don't grind them up, and you can show off your cool coffee pillows to your friends.

"Hey, I have no trouble sleeping on coffee"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:58:03 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 08:41:38 pm »

I like my coffee, but I'm not going to make arts and crafts projects out of it;]

Besides, I'm happy with my memory foam pillow filled with ginseng. I have no trouble sleeping on ginseng, either.