Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you want weapons to experience wear and tear?

Yes.
Yes, if... (please post what here)
No. I don't want the possibility to lose weapons for any reason other than MAGMA (or other reasons)!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Should Weapons/Armor/Stuff be able to break?  (Read 9592 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should Weapons/Armor/Stuff be able to break?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 02:46:22 pm »

Ok let me see....

Wear, tear, damage and stuff to your armor and weapons is planned.

It just isn't currently in the game. Mostly because such a system isn't so simple because Dwarf Fortress isn't just a raw numbers game.

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 02:59:29 pm »

Ok let me see....

It just isn't currently in the game. Mostly because such a system isn't so simple because Dwarf Fortress isn't just a raw numbers game.

I don't see anywhere where this suggestion is planned, nor previously suggested. I'd like it if you were able to show me where it was mentioned before if you could, cuz I can't seem to find it.

Dwarf Fortress in itself is a game of almost entirely RAW numbers, at least based on the RAW's. All games are based on numbers.
Dwarf Fortress is no different. Talking purely from weapons... "How thick is the skin?" 5000 urists "How thick is the muscle?" 3000 urists "How sharp is this sword?" 3000 urists "Is this sword longer than the thing being cut?" Nope. Then, cut skin, bruise muscle.

This is a very oversimplified, but I believe accurate portrayal of what happens on each individual combat turn.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:17:54 pm by Admiral Obvious »
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 08:43:24 pm »

Ok let me see....

I don't see anywhere where this suggestion is planned, nor previously suggested. I'd like it if you were able to show me where it was mentioned before if you could, cuz I can't seem to find it.

Req149 on the Dev Plan.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:23 am »

Ok let me see....

Req149 on the Dev Plan.
I thought that was in reference specifically to environmental objects, but I kinda see how it would fit to include weapons and armor given the wording... kinda. It's quite the laundry list of features to be done, so no wonder I missed it.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »

Posting to watch.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 06:20:52 pm »

Dwarf Fortress in itself is a game of almost entirely RAW numbers, at least based on the RAW's. All games are based on numbers.
Dwarf Fortress is no different. Talking purely from weapons... "How thick is the skin?" 5000 urists "How thick is the muscle?" 3000 urists "How sharp is this sword?" 3000 urists "Is this sword longer than the thing being cut?" Nope. Then, cut skin, bruise muscle.

This is a very oversimplified, but I believe accurate portrayal of what happens on each individual combat turn.
I don't think he meant that kind of raw. He means they are factored into equations that are very extremely complicated, instead of used as-is.

E.g.: What's the layer made of? How rigid is it? Will it bend? Will it shatter? How fast did the holder swing the weapon? How much force rebounded back at the weapon, versus dissipated? Contact area? How will the weapon react? (How will the weapon holder/target react?) How do we derive all these from the values in the RAWs? Who did the research? Are these material values accurate to real life?

*Cue weapons crumpling to scrap any time a superhuman-strength creature takes a swing.*
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:31:48 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:22 pm »

actually I when I said aiming at their weapons, I meant so I could knock them away from them.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 02:19:57 pm »

I don't think he meant that kind of raw. He means they are factored into equations that are very extremely complicated, instead of used as-is.

E.g.: What's the layer made of? How rigid is it? Will it bend? Will it shatter? How fast did the holder swing the weapon? How much force rebounded back at the weapon, versus dissipated? Contact area? How will the weapon react? (How will the weapon holder/target react?) How do we derive all these from the values in the RAWs? Who did the research? Are these material values accurate to real life?

*Cue weapons crumpling to scrap any time a superhuman-strength creature takes a swing.*

The thing is, most of these factors are already built into the raws themswlves. Rigidity and elasticity are both already within the raws for the material.
Swing speed are also constants that are at the moment built into the game that can be modified, especially in adventurer mode, such as the difference between quick/wild/heavy attacks.
Elasticity would contribute to rebounded force, which just possibly may break the handle depending on the force of the blow, if we were to implement it like that.
Contact area is based on the type of weapon, again as defined in the RAW's, spears have particularly low values here, hammers have particularly high ones.
People did do research on these factors before, as real world (half military for modern armor, half civilian) !Science! has shown. I've got no idea if these factors are completely accurate in terms of the RAW data though they do appear to be close.
As for entity reactions, for that we should ask the folks over at what would Urist do.

To be honest if a super strength creature has a weapon, it should be able to shatter under the force if it's own power because most of the time, these creatures can beat essentially whatever they run into to death (assuming said weapon doesn't just go clean through the target).

actually I when I said aiming at their weapons, I meant so I could knock them away from them.
That would be interesting to say the least, but it takes quite the torque to make a skilled swordsman drop their weapon.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:21:08 pm by Admiral Obvious »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 02:22:54 pm »

hey if I start with superior strength, swim for five in-game years, then become a vampire, I'm pretty sure I can smack some wimp's weapon away
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:55 pm »

Well a heavy hammer could knock a steel sword out of a slightly weak swordsman's hand, right?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 02:25:55 pm »

especially if that hammer is made of slade, AND I can lift it
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 02:30:27 pm »

Well a heavy hammer could knock a steel sword out of a slightly weak swordsman's hand, right?
hey if I start with superior strength, swim for five in-game years, then become a vampire, I'm pretty sure I can smack some wimp's weapon away

You are both right. That one can probably be determined by some sort of equation of weapon mass, contact against the opposing weapon and user strength versus target strength, mass, weapon skill, and weapon mass.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 11:46:47 pm »

The thing is, most of these factors are already built into the raws themswlves. Rigidity and elasticity are both already within the raws for the material.
Swing speed are also constants that are at the moment built into the game that can be modified, especially in adventurer mode, such as the difference between quick/wild/heavy attacks.
Elasticity would contribute to rebounded force, which just possibly may break the handle depending on the force of the blow, if we were to implement it like that.
Contact area is based on the type of weapon, again as defined in the RAW's, spears have particularly low values here, hammers have particularly high ones.
People did do research on these factors before, as real world (half military for modern armor, half civilian) !Science! has shown. I've got no idea if these factors are completely accurate in terms of the RAW data though they do appear to be close.
As for entity reactions, for that we should ask the folks over at what would Urist do.
It's not just about the values, it's how they're going to contribute to the equation. A saguaro (cactus) spear hits a fluffy wambler bone shield. What do? Trick question. Fluffy wamblers don't have bones.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 02:22:05 pm »

It's not just about the values, it's how they're going to contribute to the equation. A saguaro (cactus) spear hits a fluffy wambler bone shield. What do? Trick question. Fluffy wamblers don't have bones.
(15 tabs and a few hours later, I did some deductive !SCIENCE! and !Pondering Material Qualities!)

I've been reading up on the specifics of this, and it's going to be kind of hard to do these "accurately" without doing calculus to get everything precise and accurate, although we don't need these things to be precise, nor accurate, being this is a game.

The one major thing I find missing after going through the raws to make this work, is a definition for actual material strength. There are definitions for bending, torsion, tensile, and compression yield/fracture, but as far as I've seen those material factors either don't do anything, or they might do something in relation to shot blockage or armor penetration. It's hard to  !Science! this since other factors will always be included.

I know what the term yield is supposed to mean. It's supposed to be how much energy is imparted into the location when impacting something at maximum material usable force. The term I'm not sure what means is fracture. I don't know if it's supposed to imply blunt force damage, or something else, such as the point in which the material is supposed to break, which would be more sensible.

Comparing copper to candy for example.

Candy has a value of 3000000 for each of it's fracture values making it near unbreakable, being the highest value of any weapons grade material.

Copper has different individual values. Impact being 770000, which should mean it would be reasonably hard to break when struck although this is just a "general" number.
Compression being 770000, same as the above, implying that if it's compressed, such as while stabbing, or being used to block a blunt object, such as a hammer it would break as easy as a standard impact.
A Tensile value of 220000, which should mean if pulled on too hard, it would break easier than if compressed or banged against i'm not sure how tensile strength would be tested in this game though, not much likes to keep whatever stabbed it inside them, and I don't think a tug of war over a spear would work out well either.
A Torsion fracture value of 220000, same as the tensile value, meaning if twisted, it should break the same if pulled with the same quantity of force. We don't have twisting of weapons yet, but imagining someone stabbing a metal body FB, and twisting hard enough, they could break their weapon.
Shear strength of 220000, which would actually be most applicable in the instance of a spear, since the basic equation for this one is force/surface area, spears having relatively high force, and low surface area. It could be reasonably easy to blunt a spear. Considering early Roman Legionaries used javelins that did specifically this when thrown, the javelin bent on impact with the victim making it near impossible to remove.
Lastly there is the Bending fracture value of 220000, which would be applicable if, for example, using the flat of the sword against something highly resistant to compression impact.

Of course after all of that there are values for strain at yield, which are different for every material in the game, candy experiencing none, which applies when the weapon reaches the named "yield" value, which I assume would be the most "optimal" point in which all the objects usable force is actually used. The wiki says it's used for blunt and edged combat, being the same thing as elasticity, and a lower value here is better, which should be a given, bending is bad. This leads to a different set of contradicting values.

Copper has an Impact Yield Strain of 175, which is one of the highest values of this type of metal. If it were to be used at full power, this weapon material has a very high chance to do something in a generic "impact".
A Compression Strain of 175 would in theory mean that Copper is one of the best stabbing materials short of steel or candy.
A Tensile Strain of 58, which is actually pretty low, although the material itself is weak against being pulled apart, it doesn't bend much while being pulled. Technically, this weapon material would snap before it bends it put into a tensile test (which again could be great for things like arrows if being pulled out was relevant, leaving a piece of the weapon inside for the !FUN! that comes with infection).
A Torison Strain of 145, which should mean this weapon would be fairly hard to bend in a twist compared to most other weapons grade metals. Although we currently can't twist embedded weapons (that i'm aware of) copper would do it quite well being reasonably resistant to twisting.
Shear Strain of 145 which makes it a decent type of armor, fairly resistant to denting, as well as a decent blunt weapon, for the same reason.
Lastly the Bending Strain of 58 means it's actually pretty hard to bend this weapon, but like with Tensile Strain, it would lead to a high chance of a snap if attempted to bend too hard.

To be honest, after looking over what I've been compiling for the last few minutes, writing this up.

TL;DR
Copper is arguably the best "conventional" weapons grade metal short of Steel and candy for edged weapons/armor, and silver for hammers.

In response to your question Bumber. I have no idea, it involves calculus depending on how accurate Toady wants the game to be. I was never any good at calculus. The thing is, all of the things we need are here. My brain just hurts too much to do the maths.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:01:31 pm by Admiral Obvious »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 12:55:24 am »

I know what the term yield is supposed to mean. It's supposed to be how much energy is imparted into the location when impacting something at maximum material usable force. The term I'm not sure what means is fracture. I don't know if it's supposed to imply blunt force damage, or something else, such as the point in which the material is supposed to break, which would be more sensible.
Yield = bend, fracture = shatter.

Copper has an Impact Yield Strain of 175, which is one of the highest values of this type of metal. If it were to be used at full power, this weapon material has a very high chance to do something in a generic "impact".
Strain at yield values are used in comparsion to 50000. Since all metals have much less strain values than this, they all can be considered to have zero elasticity.
I'm pretty sure it defines a material's tendency to return to its original shape when struck (impact). Thus a bent copper stays bent.

TL;DR
Copper is arguably the best "conventional" weapons grade metal short of Steel and candy for edged weapons/armor, and silver for hammers.
It's actually one of the worst for edged weapons. It doesn't hold an edge well, and it's malleable (deforms). The only thing it has going for it is density, which helps inflict/block blunt attacks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:57:59 am by Bumber »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4