Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving military time off to handle needs  (Read 2612 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Giving military time off to handle needs
« on: March 01, 2016, 07:22:15 am »

So right now I notice that my long time conscripts get unfulfilled needs related to socializing, worship, and abstract thinking, among others. What's a good way to resolve this?
I personally started experimenting with a schedule that gives my military one month off every three months, but I'm not sure how effective that will be.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Giving military time off to handle needs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:26:08 am »

don't have any long term military. There's no more penalties for undrafting expert military, or drafting noobs. So you can just as well make every dwarf a combined soldier / civilian.

EDIT: but on point, to make your current military fullfill their needs? Simple. Set them to inactive, and make sure they have no assigned barracks. The latter isn't even nescessary, as dwarves will fullfill needs before doing individual training sessions, when they're inactive.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:28:37 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:54:47 am »

I just set up their schedule so that one dwarf from each squad is off duty at any given time. So if a squad has 8 dwarves, I set it to have 7 of them training every month. So everyone eventually has some time off. If 12.5% off duty time isn't enough, they should have become cheesemakers instead of soldiers. 
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 12:41:37 pm »

I do that manually, making them train for a couple years, with maybe a season off when they start complaining.

I prefer them not to be praying when a siege starts or something. After the siege is actually a good time to take a break.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »

I have a militia that trains half a year, with everyone else (except miners and wood cutters) stuffed into civilian squads. As autumn sets in I train the civilians for one month each (rotating 3 groups), while the militia is off for the rest of the year. When not training squads have no quarters (a bit of micro management to set to training and add/remove quarters). Winter is off for everyone apart from maintenance.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 02:22:19 pm »

What do you mean by maintenance?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 07:02:57 pm »

I usually don't use schedule. 0.42 soldiers are tough bastards. And to be honest, so are the normal dwarves, I seldom see unhappy dwarves, unlike in 0.40.

When I THINK they need a break, I simply change the barrack settings and let another squad use their training place and call their days off, so there are always soldiers guarding/training near the entrance.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 02:51:56 am »

What do you mean by maintenance?
The background stuff that has to be taken care of, such as planting/harvesting (but not processing), hauling another batch of cages with buzzards/rhesus macaques invading the fortress and reloading the cages (and I actually do the training, even if it could wait), etc.