Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spellbook Mod Idea Thread  (Read 2172 times)

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spellbook Mod Idea Thread
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:14:07 am »

Thanks to the new knowledge system, I had the idea to give spheres an associated spell interaction (for example, FIRE would have a fireball spell). Each spell interaction has a [SYDROME_CLASS] associated with it that prevents people from learning spells associated with opposite spheres, for example, a spell associated with CHAOS prevents people from learning ORDER spells. Here's a list of spells (and other things of the sort) that we've came up with:

FIRE: Basic fireball attack.
GENEROSITY: Greeting interaction that generates a small amount of gold.
HEALING: Interaction that induces a brief transformation for a total healing effect.
HAPPINESS: Gas "greeting" that launches "happy gas".
LONGEVITY: Biological immortality.
MISERY: Gas attack that releases a neurotoxin that results in the Misery emotion.
PERSUASION: Ability that temporarily modifies the targets personality to make them easier to influence.
PREGNANCY: Removes [STERILE] token from undead.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:48:53 pm by Orbotosh »
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbook Mod Idea Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:02 am »

And here's what I've finished adding to the game.

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:FIRESPELL]
[I_SOURCE:SECRET]       
[IS_NAME:the secret of

creating fireballs with magic]
[IS_SPHERE:FIRE]

[IS_SECRET:SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBL

E]

[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE]

[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE]

[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:ob

jects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/

text/secret_firespell.txt]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]

[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_SPEAK]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Fire

Wielding]
[SYNDROME]

[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:fire mage:fire

mage:fire wielding:START:0]

[SYN_CLASS:FIRE_SPELL]

[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]

[CDI:ADV_NAME:Cast Fireball]

[CDI:INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]

[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]

[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]

[CDI:FLOW:FIREBALL]

[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]

[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]

[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]

[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]

[INTERACTION:LONGEVITY]
[I_SOURCE:SECRET]       
[IS_NAME:the secret to

eternal life]
[IS_SPHERE:LONGEVITY]

[IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY]

[IS_SECRET:SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBL

E]

[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE]

[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE]

[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:ob

jects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/

text/secret_longevity.txt]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]

[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_SPEAK]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Immortal]
[SYNDROME]

[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:immortal:immortal:

formerly immortal:START:0]

[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:START:0]

[SYN_CLASS:LONGEVITY]
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:52:35 pm »

not sure what sphere this would go under, but a spell that 'charms' a fow temporarily making them much more receptive to ideas, after you cast the spell on them it would be easier to persuade them to change values.

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:20:35 pm »

not sure what sphere this would go under, but a spell that 'charms' a fow temporarily making them much more receptive to ideas, after you cast the spell on them it would be easier to persuade them to change values.

At first I thought this was the typical absurd idea that would require DFHack to work but...you're right and good idea!
As for spheres, probably PERSUASION. I'd still have to research which personality traits it requires (self control, maybe?).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 05:28:43 pm »

I'm actually doing exactly this for my Spellcrafts mod. Starting alphabetically, I'm working on the sphere of animals. Already had fire, water, etc. elemental secrets.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 05:41:07 pm »

I'm actually doing exactly this for my Spellcrafts mod. Starting alphabetically, I'm working on the sphere of animals. Already had fire, water, etc. elemental secrets.

Oh, that's a bit depressing.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 07:57:57 pm »

Always room for more kinds of wizards.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 12:24:41 am »

There's nothing depressing about having other people around trying to do the same things! Its simple to share interactions over the forum since theyre primarily just text we have to put in the right order.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 04:25:45 pm »

This is a bit elaborate but I'm working on a way to overhaul the undead for some of my ideas to work. In essence, I want to modify "Necromancers" to require their animated corpses to lack a certain SYNDROME_CLASS. I have some abilities and substances to grant this SYNDROME_CLASS to creatures so that they're immune to being reanimated.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:43:27 pm by Orbotosh »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 01:53:09 am »

That sounds great, honestly. I wanted to do the same thing, but I've yet to actually figure out how the hell that's going to work.

I also had no ideas for agriculture, art, balance, or beauty thus far, so I skipped straight to birth and made this:

Spoiler: the creature (click to show/hide)

The AI doesn't seem to raise their child properly, but it does work for the player in adventure mode. Sadly, apparently the undead can't do their creature sounds, so the little brats dont run around screaming "MOMMA!" like I'd wanted. You also can't talk to them, apparently. Alas, the game doesn't allow stray grasping body parts to be resurrected, so they're kinda glorified zombies. They can suffocate, among other mortal ways to die, however, so they're kinda alive?

I already decided that for REBIRTH I'm going to use a resurrection on a corpse of the deceased that turns them into one of these little brats for the remainder of eternity. I'm drawing a blank for CHILDREN and PREGNANCY, however. They're all related, but a secret can only belong to one sphere and having multiple spheres permitting duplicates of the same interactions seems silly
I make Spellcrafts!

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 02:06:01 am »

That sounds great, honestly. I wanted to do the same thing, but I've yet to actually figure out how the hell that's going to work.

It's pretty simple, all you have to do is give the RAISE_DEAD ability of your custom necromancers [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:PURIFIED], same system that keeps you from playing as a Vampire Werewolf.

I also had this great idea to make a RAISE_DEAD spell that turns its target into a creature made out of a substance that boils to death near instantaneously and drops an item made out of another substance. I'm thinking about attaching this to some spheres like METALS.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 03:45:08 am »

Roses has at least 100 of these spells... :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:21:59 am »

Since we're already overhauling undead I might as well post some new ideas.

REGIONAL EFFECTS
Good
-A cloud of Holy Water that causes Undead (creatures with NOT_LIVING and the GENERAL_POISON creature class) to suffer excruciating pain and the weakest forms of undead to completely cease moving.

-Fog made out of "happy gas".

Evil
-For some reason the freshly deceased take offense at leaving their remains in such a horrific place and choose to take over their former bodies just so that they can move somewhere else on its own. Unlike traditional undead they are still sentient and have their former interests, there's no disadvantage to being brought back in this matter besides a weakness to holy water.

BOGEYMEN
-A weak ghostlike being that tries to kill mortals so that it can inhabit their warm husk.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 06:34:56 pm »

There's a way to make non-zombie spawns for the birth secret.  Start with what you have, but make the 'child' creature die immediately when it transforms.  It will have a torso, so you can then resurrect it and transform it into the true child creature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 11:41:00 pm »

Alright, that's worth a shot, thanks!

edit:
Well, the resurrecting part works to create a living person. However, you have to murder your own child-zombie.
Also, arena mode crashes in a conversation between a resurrected zombie child and a living person, apparently. Not sure if that would happen in adventure mode, haven't gotten that far yet.

edit:
Yep, talking to them in adventure mode will crash the game. This is disappointing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:18:53 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: [1] 2