Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood gone bad  (Read 1456 times)

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
Strange mood gone bad
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:19:27 pm »

I can't figure out how to use bugtracker, so maybe anyone is familiar with my issue.

I had an immigrant dwarf proficient in all kinds of smithing. After some time at my fort he goes fey and demands a metal bar. The only type of metal my fort has at the time is gold (except for a forbidden pig iron bar), so he goes and grabs a gold bar.
After reaching his claimed forge he starts the routine of working furiously. He works for quite some time and I begin to wonder what on earth is he doing with that single gold bar?
After a while I get a message that he's gone stark raving mad.

Is it a bug? Or, maybe, I accidentally made something wrong for him and didn't notice?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood gone bad
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:31:44 pm »

1 did you get a message that says he was working?
2 did any hostile creatures get near him while he was working?
3 did any fights occur near him while he was working?
4 did any cave ins occur near him while he was working?
5 how long was it between him going into his mood and when he started working?

2,3 and 4 will cause the mood to stop which results in instant insanity regardless of if he would have been able to complete it or not
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 02:06:04 pm »

Are you sure he didn't want other items? They very rarely, if ever, want one thing. It's quite likely he was making a list, but you only saw the bar, and the next item down the list was something you either did not have (such as e.g. silk cloth), or had, but had forbidden (such as a second bar of metal, which might be the pig iron). Also note that if they want multiple items of the same general type and they happen to come after each other in the list, they stay on that item type longer, but don't repeat the item.

A magma forge that loses power will generate immediate insanity. I had a mooder who I determined needed a forge, got my forge going by finishing the magma tunnel beneath, and the bugger rushed down and claimed the forge as soon as the first flicker of power appeared, and then went bonkers as the magma beneath sloshed about. Quite annoying (and I save scummed, getting it to work the second time).

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:45:15 pm »

2,3 and 4 will cause the mood to stop which results in instant insanity regardless of if he would have been able to complete it or not

I got the message that he was working, so I think that's what happened. It was a temporary open-air forge, near a map edge. Something, anything, could've spook him. Damn giant monarch butterflies, I will avenge my competent omnismith!

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:28:59 am »

Ok, same fort, different story.

This time everyone remained (relatively) sane, BUT:
A dwarf went fey, locked up in a craftswarf workshop and demanded stone, gems and bones.
I forbid every stone except gold nuggets and every gem except Cat's Eyes (the most expensive gem I currently have).
The dwarf goes and grabs all he needs and I get a message that he works furiosly.

Then, a couple of seconds later another dwarf comes by the workshop and carries away to a gem stockpile the cut Cat's Eeye my fey dwarf claimed.
I was affraid that it will result in a failed mood, but it turned out ok. A native gold toy hammer "the Eviscerated Sufferings" was made, with no mentions of cut Cat's Eye.

Anyone had something like that? Any thoughts?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:36:01 am »

Ok, same fort, different story.

This time everyone remained (relatively) sane, BUT:
A dwarf went fey, locked up in a craftswarf workshop and demanded stone, gems and bones.
I forbid every stone except gold nuggets and every gem except Cat's Eyes (the most expensive gem I currently have).
The dwarf goes and grabs all he needs and I get a message that he works furiosly.

Then, a couple of seconds later another dwarf comes by the workshop and carries away to a gem stockpile the cut Cat's Eeye my fey dwarf claimed.
I was affraid that it will result in a failed mood, but it turned out ok. A native gold toy hammer "the Eviscerated Sufferings" was made, with no mentions of cut Cat's Eye.

Apparently your moody dwarf was Rocket Raccoon. "Hey I didn't really need that... I just wanted to see the expression on his face when you took it."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 10:39:34 am »

I got the message that he was working, so I think that's what happened. It was a temporary open-air forge, near a map edge. Something, anything, could've spook him. Damn giant monarch butterflies, I will avenge my competent omnismith!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 04:32:50 pm »

The hauler didn't take a TSK (claimed) item.  There must have been a different cat's eye on the same tile.  Or he was already carrying the cat's eye with him before he got to this tile, and he grabbed some totally different gem, and carried them both away.  Haulers do that now.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 06:38:51 am »

Not likely. The moody dwarf demanded gems, but the artifact he created had no gem parts in it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 07:38:46 am »

It is possible to forbid mood-claimed items to detach them from the job - if the dwarf is still gathering items, it will grab a replacement, but if the "mysterious construction" has begun, it will not. In older versions, it was observed that if you forbade all of the mood items at that point, the dwarf would sit in the workshop until it went insane.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.