Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bugs & 'Features' you miss  (Read 2729 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Bugs & 'Features' you miss
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:53:26 am »

Does anyone here want to tell stories about bugs and unintended features that they actually really enjoyed in previous versions of DF that have since been fixed?

I loved the bug that made towers get into disputes with villages, resulting in towers conquering villages, acquiring way too many corpses and resulting in an orgy of tower building. And not only because it meant that there were a *lot* of necromancers out there; it made the political geography of my worlds occasionally become amazing and provided me with more immersion than I've really gotten out of the game since.

This one time, the only area that discovered necromancy was this long, isolated peninsula jutting down from the top of the map. It was home to two human governments, who I imagined as loose alliances of bickering merchant princes due to both their names having something to do with trade. These states tended to have their major cities on the coast and build their tombs inland, which was a rural area chock full of farming villages. The two civs were roughly divided between the southwest and northeast, but in the inland their villages were chaotically dispersed, meaning that nobody had clear control over the region and that disputes were common.

When the necromancers came, the first necromancer-cult began to take over towns in the inland. When this prompted no response from the bickering lords, their conquests accelerated. Soon, they had a tower built. However, since they would constantly get into disputes with nearby towns, including towns they themselves had conquered, the situation rapidly escalated. Attacking their own occupation governments would cause groups of necromancers to schism, after which they'd go conquer their own towns from someone else. By the end of the century the entirety of the inland had been conquered by necromancers. Towers dotted the landscape, occasionally fighting rebellious underlings and stealing villages from one another, resulting in a series of small kingdoms with shifting borders and frequent internecine conflict. The population of the area had plummeted, unless you count the undead, while the vast numbers of dead law-givers who had found themselves in the wrong places in the wrong time meant that tomb complexes were unusually expansive.

You can imagine the desolation and the despair. To the last free humans, huddled in their tightly-packed coastal cities struggling to cope with the influx of refugees, their breadbasket was gone. Though it's not in the game yet, I imagine that to them it was a time of famine, plague and anarchy in the streets. Those unfortunate enough to have fallen under the necromancers gaze have all wound up toiling for their unfathomably dark designs or sacrificed in their seemingly pointless wars against one another, and not even death is an escape from this slavery. They cower in villages with far too many empty buildings, in the shadow of the towers and the tombs, under the watchful gaze of ambitious apprentice necromancers.

So naturally, I set out to liberate what I'd come to term the Dead Marches by building a band of warriors, slaughtering all the necromancers and taking over all the sites. Since DF handled loyalty funny though, before I conquered my fourth I was tracked down by an army of living humans from the surviving free cities and killed. I don't know the implications of that, though it's probably because somehow the administrators I'd killed were still civ members or the towns I'd declared sovereignty over were still somehow considered theirs even though they'd been taken over by necromancers. Anyway, I'll miss that bug. That was the coolest world I've genned by far.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & 'Features' you miss
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:05:40 pm »

Sort of, though mine wasn't nearly as epic as undead medieval Italy. Back before the Emotions update, I used to make cults of personality in some forts by abusing the justice system. Basically, I'd play normally until I got a vampire migrant; at which point I'd roleplay the game entirely to his/her benefit, letting murders go unsolved until they got elected mayor and/or appointed baron.

Once the parasite was in power, I'd reclassify every dwarf by how "loyal to the state" they'd be when upset, using Tradition as a measuring stick. Dwarves that disliked Tradition would be convicted of the mayor's crimes and sent to the hammerer, while those that liked it would actually improve their mood after a travesty of justice because they'd get extra happiness from being near someone in charge. One time I got a fortress so thoroughly indoctrinated this way that nobody was less than content after 3/4ths of everyone died in a siege.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:29:09 pm »

I hope that the bug that allows adventure mode non-adventurers to drink literally anything in a mug never gets fixed.
it's fun to feed people gold coins and silver carving knives
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:14:05 pm »

I actually missed the old economy system (or more so what it stood for).

It really felt neat having a peasant slums kind of feel to large parts of the fortress. I guess what I liked about it is that the 'culture' felt beyond your control at that point. Right now, the only time people have to live in slums is if you're a crappy fortress maker...

I think it was a bug at the time, but I had a guy who kept purchasing groundhog as pets, but just about outright refusing to buy anything else. Him AND some of his groundhog died together, as I accidentally had him build himself out of the fort with a wall.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:19:11 pm by quekwoambojish »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:51:21 am »

A few years ago, there would occasionally be cracks that lead well down into the earth, sometimes to the magma sea, and that was just one of the many geographical artifacts. Nowadays, I see none of them, which is sad. No spires, no suddenly collapsing areas, no cracks :(
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 05:01:39 am »

My favorite bug was when cooks would throw a stratum if someone actually ATE their masterworks.  :)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:06:04 am »

Naked fortress. The first fortress I played when dwarfs became aware of their clothing state died of embarrassment.

'Falling dwarfs' (objects weight was ignored). I assumed since a dwarf carrying a mug moved at the same speed as a dwarf carrying a gold statue that they weren't walking at all but actually falling across the map. The fact that the game is top-down only made it more hilarious.

Rivers/pools not having ramps. Although many dwarfs are safer, I do miss scrambling to get urist mcdodge out of a lake.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 01:33:15 pm »

Rivers/pools not having ramps. Although many dwarfs are safer, I do miss scrambling to get urist mcdodge out of a lake.

No...This was the worst. THE CARP!

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 10:00:35 am »

My personal favorite bug was that one short-lived version were giant mosquitoes had the same population and cluster as regular mosquitoes, so whenever they'd spawn df would freeze up and then twenty minutes later you had 300 giant mosquitoes on the edge of your map. It was awesome.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 10:03:58 am »

My personal favorite bug was that one short-lived version were giant mosquitoes had the same population and cluster as regular mosquitoes, so whenever they'd spawn df would freeze up and then twenty minutes later you had 300 giant mosquitoes on the edge of your map. It was awesome.
You did remember to embark with DEET, right?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 11:30:59 am »

I kind of miss the one where deconstructing a construction pulled in tiles from all around. Mostly it was a pain in the butt, but you could teleport enemy corpses through walls to gather them and their items safely.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 03:40:34 pm »

Horse Fortress

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 06:26:01 pm »

Does anyone here want to tell stories about bugs and unintended features that they actually really enjoyed in previous versions of DF that have since been fixed?

I loved the bug that made towers get into disputes with villages, resulting in towers conquering villages, acquiring way too many corpses and resulting in an orgy of tower building. And not only because it meant that there were a *lot* of necromancers out there; it made the political geography of my worlds occasionally become amazing and provided me with more immersion than I've really gotten out of the game since.

This one time, the only area that discovered necromancy was this long, isolated peninsula jutting down from the top of the map. It was home to two human governments, who I imagined as loose alliances of bickering merchant princes due to both their names having something to do with trade. These states tended to have their major cities on the coast and build their tombs inland, which was a rural area chock full of farming villages. The two civs were roughly divided between the southwest and northeast, but in the inland their villages were chaotically dispersed, meaning that nobody had clear control over the region and that disputes were common.

When the necromancers came, the first necromancer-cult began to take over towns in the inland. When this prompted no response from the bickering lords, their conquests accelerated. Soon, they had a tower built. However, since they would constantly get into disputes with nearby towns, including towns they themselves had conquered, the situation rapidly escalated. Attacking their own occupation governments would cause groups of necromancers to schism, after which they'd go conquer their own towns from someone else. By the end of the century the entirety of the inland had been conquered by necromancers. Towers dotted the landscape, occasionally fighting rebellious underlings and stealing villages from one another, resulting in a series of small kingdoms with shifting borders and frequent internecine conflict. The population of the area had plummeted, unless you count the undead, while the vast numbers of dead law-givers who had found themselves in the wrong places in the wrong time meant that tomb complexes were unusually expansive.

You can imagine the desolation and the despair. To the last free humans, huddled in their tightly-packed coastal cities struggling to cope with the influx of refugees, their breadbasket was gone. Though it's not in the game yet, I imagine that to them it was a time of famine, plague and anarchy in the streets. Those unfortunate enough to have fallen under the necromancers gaze have all wound up toiling for their unfathomably dark designs or sacrificed in their seemingly pointless wars against one another, and not even death is an escape from this slavery. They cower in villages with far too many empty buildings, in the shadow of the towers and the tombs, under the watchful gaze of ambitious apprentice necromancers.

So naturally, I set out to liberate what I'd come to term the Dead Marches by building a band of warriors, slaughtering all the necromancers and taking over all the sites. Since DF handled loyalty funny though, before I conquered my fourth I was tracked down by an army of living humans from the surviving free cities and killed. I don't know the implications of that, though it's probably because somehow the administrators I'd killed were still civ members or the towns I'd declared sovereignty over were still somehow considered theirs even though they'd been taken over by necromancers. Anyway, I'll miss that bug. That was the coolest world I've genned by far.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

I think necros still occasionally take over towns? I also believe he said he might bring something similar to this (but more controlled) back later on.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 06:35:29 pm »

I'm pretty disappointed that the shaft of enlightenment and Planepacked bugs were fixed. Those would both be really fun bugs to abuse. I mean, Toady said recently that combat skills don't actually reduce in effectiveness past legendary+5 as people seemed to think. That meant that legendary+75 (which is effectively skill level 90) would be over 4 times as good as legendary+5. That's just such an absurdly high level that I'm sad I won't be able to see it in action. Planepacked is fun too, and is a strange bug to fix because it doesn't actually allow exploits or have any significant positive or negative effect, it just lets you make some amazing artifacts if you want them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »

You can always hack higher skills with gui/gm-editor in DFHack. And are you sure Planepacked is fixed?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2