Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To The Stars! (Aurora 4X) Now [s]off hiatus[/s] and with better name!  (Read 5343 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

*****TO THE STARS!*****

Aurora 4X is a space exploration game. It has been called "the Dwarf Fortress of 4X games". So yeah, it's really complex. And challenging.

Spoiler: disclaimer (click to show/hide)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: backstory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: beginning game (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:08:55 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: The Star-pathers (Aurora 4X)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »

Spoiler: beginning game (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:33:59 pm by jwoodward48df »
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: The Star-pathers (Aurora 4X)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:57:02 pm »

I'm abandoning this, because I just remembered something: I can't write well!  :'( I'm either too detailed or too general, and nobody ever reads what I write.

If you're sad about this not going on, try making your own story: play Aurora!

Otherwise, why are you even reading this post? Go read another story, a good one. :'( (I might have writing self-esteem issues.)
Sigtext!

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
Re: The Star-pathers (Aurora 4X) CANCELLED :'(
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:19:42 pm »

Hey man, don't put this down yet. I'm enjoying it! :D
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: The Star-pathers (Aurora 4X) NO LONGER CANCELLED
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »

Okay, I got over my depression. :D (No, seriously, I've had problems with depression before. Maybe my medication?)

Part of getting over my depression involved having fun... with Aurora... in this save game!

Which has an upside and a downside.

Upside: I'm past the boring "wait five years, you've constructed one factory!" part.
Downside: Much has been skipped.

But! I can write it from the perspective of the new governor of the Moon! The colony just got started there. To get everyone up to speed, I'll write it from the perspective of a textbook.

Spoiler: Wysthric (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 07:04:57 pm »

I'll be a Civilian Admin, if that's ok. I'll probably have to take Earth at this point but feel free to bounce me around when more planets open up (as would happen in real life.)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 10:42:23 pm »

I always like to see Aurora content. Don't mind you skipping over early game stuff either.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 12:34:49 pm »

The following is an excerpt from the homework of a second-year student (approximately ten/eleven years of age) at the Rankine Academy of Science and Leadership:

Class: Postdiscovery History
Unit: 2035-2055
Name: Jak Threto
Date: 21st February 2056
Teacher: Uiran Yllep

Question 1: Describe the change in governorship that occurred during this time period.

Tom Marsh, the first Governor of the Terran Empire, fell ill due to cancer in December 2035, and died nine years later. His successor, Jordan Middleton, was appointed by the Council.

Question 2: How did Marsh inspire the beginnings of space exploration?

His last writings, released to the public soon after his death, urged his successor and the entire population of Earth to dedicate themselves to expanding the Federation into space.

Question 3: What part of Marsh's Last Writings inspired you the most?

My favorite part of his Last Writings finished with the following:

"...and so, we must not stay on Earth and settle into complacency. Our destiny, our opportunity, our path lies in the stars. We need only try, and we will make it there. I believe in the people of the Federation."

Question 4: Analyse that portion for the Three Major Components of an Inspirational or Convincing Speech...

--------------------------

Part 4: Industry and Research

Question 1: How did Marsh advise his successor to allocate factories and resources? Did Middleton comply?

Marsh recommended that half of the factories be used to construct components for even more factories, thereby achieving exponential growth. The other half, he said, should be split between research laboratories and spaceyards/spaceports/etc. Middleton largely complied with his predecessor's wishes.

Question 2: What was the first TN ship put into space?

The Tribal class Geological Survey Vessel was designed for surveying other solar bodies for TNE. It was soon followed by the Transporter class freighter, which would be used to bring infrastructure to Luna.

Part 5: Colonies

Question 1: What was the first colony on a solar body other than Earth?

A small colony was placed on Luna, using TN elements in its infrastructure. It was intended to be a mining colony and naval base.

Question 2: Who was the governor of the Lunar colony?

Wysthric Woods, who graduated from the Ruile Academy of Civilian Leadership.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:04:19 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 05:34:49 pm »

28th October 2047:

A research project co-led by a Biology & Genetics scientist and Luke Lucas (a Power & Propulsion expert) finishes development and testing of a method of safely flash-freezing humans, allowing them to be stored efficiently in cryogenic bays. Governor Middleton persuaded the Council to fund the project a few years before, explaining how it could make a colony on Luna much more feasible.

30th June 2048:

Lieutenant Commander Liam Dawson watches from the bridge, keeping an eye on the solar radiation, as his spacesuit-wearing crew unloads the last of the boxes. Filled with infrastructure, they will be unloaded and constructed by the workers coming in a few months.

9th August 2049:

The international news station plays a live video feed of the Ark Royal 001, the colony ship built over the last year, landing on the moon. A vacuum-sealed tube is extended from the ship to the lunar base, and ten thousand people enter the base. Governor Middleton makes a speech about how the colony will grow into a mining/naval/manufacturing colony, and keeps everyone motivated with a speech.

9th November 2049:

The biannual officer reassignment takes place.

The duranium stockpiles on Earth shrink to zero, halting construction of a commercial shipyard. The mines quickly produce more, but the demand far exceeds the production. The Council orders more mines dug out, and suggests either the hastening of the Lunar mines or the building of asteroid-mining ships.

9th December 2049:

The Day Shipping Lines corporation, heavily subsidized by the Federation (over $1 billion), launches three colony ships. Currently, mainly engineers and hydroponics workers live on Luna, but more infrastructure and colonists will allow for a class of workers to support industry.

The Council notes that every month, over $1.5 billion is collected in taxes.

30th December 2049:

It has been twenty-five years since the Federation's foundation, and five years since Governor Marsh's death. Governor Middleton makes a speech on international television, noting the incredible speed with which the Federation has taken to space.
Sigtext!

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 06:12:40 pm »

Very good, keep writing! :D

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 02:41:08 pm »

11th March 2050:

Many minerals have been discovered on asteroids and comets by the two Tribal-class ships.

Jake Humphreys, a scientist researching kinetic weapons, develops a prototype for a weapon called a "Gauss cannon":

"Essentially, it's a nonmagnetic cannon barrel surrounded by coils. Each coil can be powered or turned off quickly. Operation consists of loading the cannon with a ferromagnetic cannonball, then turning on the first coil. The ball is attracted to the coil, since it acts as an electromagnet. Once the ball reaches the first coil, the first coil is shut off, and the second coil turned on. This continues, with the ball accelerating at speeds exceeding those achievable with standard chemical propulsion techniques, until it reaches the end of the barrel and continues through space, eventually hitting the target and achieving, with its high speed, a large amount of damage."
Sigtext!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 12:45:47 pm »

Heh....I like doing my write-ups in a "found documents" style too. I like the homework assignment, I hadn't thought of using that before.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 04:08:55 pm »

I'd be willing to be Dwarfed as the Factory Union's spokesperson. 
Jack Eucher, most Duranium* Worker of the Year 2036, reporting for duty!

*Historians would note that with the discovery of Duranium, it almost completely replaced the word "Durable" in everyday use

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 07:50:40 pm »

I'm still here, I'm just busy with RL. Tonight: the rise of Communism! Despite anyone's views on it, I am going to demonstrate that one can change the form of government, apparently at will. Though I like to imagine the people demand it.

((yes, fine, a bit of self-indulgence, but i need something to write about, and i'm all worked up over communism.))
Sigtext!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 09:34:23 pm »

Well, I guess I know what my Union Leader is going to be doing....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Spoilered for those who don't know their history of Communism.
Pages: [1] 2