Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The finer points of breeding giant hamsters  (Read 1345 times)

Lightfoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The finer points of breeding giant hamsters
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:49:51 pm »

Got some giant hamsters today. Yippee. Got myself a breeding pair. Initially I was going to just use them as specimens for my zoo as the wiki says that you can't breed them, but I discovered otherwise (Gonna have to edit it soon). Giant hamsters don't live very long (3-5 years), but I discovered a great mitigating factor when my hamsters produced their first "baby". It turns out that giant hamsters give birth to full size, fully grown adult young. So I think my dwarfs will be dining on copious amounts of giant hamster meat for the foreseeable future. But unfortunately they don't seem to give me hooves as the wiki says. :( Though they sometimes give teeth, so yay.

So if you can capture giant hamsters, getting a breeding program going might not be a terrible idea.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:02:24 pm by Lightfoot »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The finer points of breeding giant hamsters
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:24:32 pm »

It turns out that giant hamsters give birth to full size, fully grown adult young.

That has got to hurt!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:27:23 pm »

It turns out that giant hamsters give birth to full size, fully grown adult young.

That has got to hurt!

eh think of the kiwi, they could just be REALLY stretchy
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:48:07 pm »

People in New Zealand give birth to adult sized children? I never knew that!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 04:11:57 am »

And I bet you didn't know kiwis have vestigal wings as well...

The wiki page both says giant hamsters are breeding and that they are not (an errors shared with several other pages). It does not, however, say the offspring are adult. If the offspring are adult at birth they're not ideal for breeding because that would mean they cannot be fully tamed, and thus you'd have to assign the offspring for training everytime new ones are born.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:05:29 am »

People in New Zealand give birth to adult sized children? I never knew that!

Maybe that's why first Europeans found the stature of Maori most impressive. All that just because of some slip in raws.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:38:05 am »

Giant Hamsters have thier entire raws ripped directly from minature vermin hamsters (seriously vermin needs some kind of raw update, or functionality)

So because vermin hamsters breed full size (so do squirrels if i remember correctly but i forget, all the raw's can be found in ANIMAL_OTHER) so do the giant variations.

As long as a male/female caste exists this is possible. How to orchestrate actual vermin breeding is a topic for another time.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:32:29 am »

You got to make a 5z tall pit onto serrated weapon traps to get many pieces to butcher thus increase giant hamster leather to fashion your dwarves in this season.