Poll

Which one is more violent?

DF
- 75 (96.2%)
Binding of Isaac
- 3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How violent is df adventure mode?  (Read 11157 times)

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How violent is df adventure mode?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 01:39:00 pm »

....Let me put it this way. If you wanted to, you could cut someone's tongue out. In fact, you can stab someone's eyes out so they can't see. You can break each of their limbs, cut off all their fingers, punch out their teeth, slice their nerves, and bash their skull. Really, you can bash, cut, slice, stab, and shred practically anything, as long as they don't die first. The only gore you can do to a corpse is butcher it.

But that's the beauty of Dwarf Fortress. You can be as merciful or as cruel as you want to, with the only consequences being your conscience.

I myself prefer a swift kill, since I find it slightly uncomfortable when seeing over four pages of gruesome wounds, knowing full well that I was responsible for them. It's why I don't like using messy weapons like hammers.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 01:50:41 pm »

If I have an enemy that feels no pain and a weapon I need to develop skill in, then conscience doesn't enter into it. I don't mind taking my time to target every appendage. It's not sadism, as the subject feels no pain and the exercise serves a practical purpose. With any other opponents, I can always shut down pain receptors by severing the spinal column, but I still don't feel right about continuing to batter them. Just let 'em die with as much dignity as could be granted to a persistently jaw-gnashing head.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 01:56:11 pm »

Of course not every Dwarf Fortress player is a mass murderer  ;D !

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 09:05:26 pm »

It's kind of hard not to be on adventure mode, since most of the challenges are met by killing people.

But I always feel weird when it comes to those bandit camps...tents full of perpetually sleeping brigands, many civilians by trade, and the only reasonable thing to do is walk in and paint the walls with their blood. And they don't even wake up! I almost wish that they would so at least it'd be something vaguely resembling a fair fight.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 09:09:15 pm »

I have never seen sleeping bandits in adventure mode when its not night time, was it night time?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 03:22:02 pm »

I've seen them sleeping in broad daylight. They usually wake up after half of them are dead.

I recall severing the head of one and bludgeoning some others with it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 03:52:40 pm »

It's kind of hard not to be on adventure mode, since most of the challenges are met by killing people.

But I always feel weird when it comes to those bandit camps...tents full of perpetually sleeping brigands, many civilians by trade, and the only reasonable thing to do is walk in and paint the walls with their blood. And they don't even wake up! I almost wish that they would so at least it'd be something vaguely resembling a fair fight.
considering I spent most of my adventuring Pacifist* because being able to tell stories to night troll kids was a highlight, also loads of funny scenarios pop up when you let the game throw a hard ball.
THEN again this is the game that basically Text based Mortal kombat game soo...

*my character doesn't kill or try to avoid getting any kills added to their name which is why I hire musical companions to perform on tour.
some times my bard has to outrun a lion that finish feasting on my drummer but hey good cardio.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 04:35:18 pm »

I think he meant 'not everyone is a singleminded indiscriminate death machine'. Categorial murders are avoidable, but that's more difficult than you'd think. If you have over 100 kills, chances are good there are a few murders in there.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 05:03:03 pm »

I have never seen sleeping bandits in adventure mode when its not night time, was it night time?
Practically every time I walk by a wandering bandit camp,* day or night, they're all inside the tent sleeping.

* Meaning the little *'s that appear on the map screen, that if you walk up close you see a campfire and 1-3 squarish white "tents," usually containing 0-5 random individuals and 1 "leader." I at least assume these are bandits or invaders of some sort since they tend to appear surrounding a hamlet.

[Yeah, just realized I'm probably creating confusion between bandit camps and invader camps]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:22:25 pm by mirrizin »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 05:55:28 pm »

Practically every time I walk by a wandering bandit camp,* day or night, they're all inside the tent sleeping.

* Meaning the little *'s that appear on the map screen, that if you walk up close you see a campfire and 1-3 squarish white "tents," usually containing 0-5 random individuals and 1 "leader." I at least assume these are bandits or invaders of some sort since they tend to appear surrounding a hamlet.

[Yeah, just realized I'm probably creating confusion between bandit camps and invader camps]
considering some 'invader' camps might be refugees from ruin towns escaping to better land which could happen if you have an invading party that seems to like wrecking sites than claiming them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 06:51:54 pm »

considering some 'invader' camps might be refugees from ruin towns escaping to better land which could happen if you have an invading party that seems to like wrecking sites than claiming them.
The ones you see sleeping in tents, with lots of civilians among them, and no camp symbol on the map are positively not bandits. They may be invaders or refugees. That bug has been around a long time.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 07:57:02 pm »

The ones you see sleeping in tents, with lots of civilians among them, and no camp symbol on the map are positively not bandits. They may be invaders or refugees. That bug has been around a long time.
Ach.  Any way to tell the difference?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2016, 08:30:45 pm »

Stab one, then run back to the village and report your deed. If they hate you, it wasn't a bandit.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2016, 08:33:53 pm »

Just ask them about themselves before stabbing if they say they are a lieutenant, they are bandits, if they say they are a soldier they are not bandits, especially if your character asks them not to cause trouble when you introduce yourself.  I believe., toady needs to make it easier to tell the difference.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2016, 08:46:58 pm »

Just ask them about themselves before stabbing if they say they are a lieutenant, they are bandits, if they say they are a soldier they are not bandits, especially if your character asks them not to cause trouble when you introduce yourself.  I believe., toady needs to make it easier to tell the difference.
Trouble is they don't wake up when I talk to them, or at least that's what I observed when I tried it before.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5