Poll

Which one is more violent?

DF
- 75 (96.2%)
Binding of Isaac
- 3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How violent is df adventure mode?  (Read 11168 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
How violent is df adventure mode?
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:56:34 am »

Some people in gen discussion are trying to argue that df is less violent then binding of Isaac which I find ridiculous which do you think is more violent in general.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: How violent is df adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:01:47 am »

Depends what you do, really. Not sure about binding of Isaac, but in DF you can do some pretty nasty things, though you don't have to.
One wheel short of a wagon

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:24:42 am »

I haven't played Binding of Isaac, but the other game I'm playing most lately is a beta codenamed "Yandere Simulator", so I may be a little more desensitized to the violence. Like NJW2000 said, you don't have to, but some nasty stuff can still be done unto you.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:08:57 am »

BoI has squick and gore aplenty, but you can't lop of all of a town's limbs, drink the blood of your enemies, pinch off every feature on a person's face, sell somebody the body parts of their own wife, lace alcohol with dubious substances and give them to people, disembowel somebody and then rip out their Guts and then beat them to death with them, etc, etc. You may not be able to see it visually, but DF is the more violent, no contest.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:34:17 am »

Now that you mention Guts, Berserk! is a better comparison to this game. BoI just isn't that gory, there are too many mainstream games that have historically exceeded it. That's not to mention indies that Steam wouldn't dare touch, like Demonophobia.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 12:47:35 pm »

BoI has squick and gore aplenty, but you can't lop of all of a town's limbs, drink the blood of your enemies, pinch off every feature on a person's face, sell somebody the body parts of their own wife, lace alcohol with dubious substances and give them to people, disembowel somebody and then rip out their Guts and then beat them to death with them, etc, etc. You may not be able to see it visually, but DF is the more violent, no contest.
Yeah, you don't really see what you do with much detail, and you don't have to do it nearly as much as in Binding of Isaac where it's kind of the whole game, but there is far, far worse stuff in Dwarf Fortress.

I once sliced off both of a person's arms then travelled away so they could recover enough blood to survive both legs being cut off then travelled away again so they'd have enough blood for me to cut off their nose, ears, and lips. Then travelled away again to stab their lower body a few times until their guts popped out then cut those off too. I was just never able to get their eyelids, something about how small they are I think makes them basically invincible.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:12:10 pm »

I don't see what you guys are talking about with BoI, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong trailers and Let's Plays. What gore is that game supposed to have? Are you guys just trying to promote the game by bringing it up at all?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 04:08:07 pm »

Binding of Isaac? How is that gory in any way, really? Disturbing maybe, since a lot of the bosses and enemies are based on actual medical conditions, but I wouldn't call that gory.

DF requires you to use imagination more, but it has:
-syndromes that potentially cause all of your body parts to rot, blister and/or swell with blood before bursting, either that or just cause you to bleed from everywhere
-the ability to disembowel a person, bite their guts, then shake them around until you tear out the guts with your own teeth
-being able to partially bisect a person around the waist (sometimes when you kill someone with a slashing attack to the lower body it says that its "partially severed from the torso")
-being able to simply explode body parts by hitting them hard enough (I can understand how it works with hands or feet but how it would look like with an entire arm or leg I don't really know)
-gouging or otherwise cutting off all of a persons facial features, cutting off their limbs, disemboweling them and using fast travel to keep them alive
-people literally melting from being fire or magma
-cleaving open heads or crushing them

Etc. I'd argue DF would be the goriest game in existence if it was 3D with high-def graphics.

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 04:20:42 pm »

I own The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, and while it may be more visually gory (Though you can argue that if you look at all the blood in Dwarf Fortress,) it does not compare to the absolute madness, fun, bloodshed, and violence in Dwarf Fortress. Dwarf Fortress is a much more gory game.
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 04:21:11 pm »

I don't see what you guys are talking about with BoI, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong trailers and Let's Plays. What gore is that game supposed to have? Are you guys just trying to promote the game by bringing it up at all?
The original not much, but Rebirth/Afterbirth has enemies explode and into organs and an gibblets. It's not much, but it's still gore. Even then, it's so cartoonish, you barely notice it.

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 04:22:31 pm »

Binding of Isaac? How is that gory in any way, really? Disturbing maybe, since a lot of the bosses and enemies are based on actual medical conditions, but I wouldn't call that gory.

DF requires you to use imagination more, but it has:
-syndromes that potentially cause all of your body parts to rot, blister and/or swell with blood before bursting, either that or just cause you to bleed from everywhere
-the ability to disembowel a person, bite their guts, then shake them around until you tear out the guts with your own teeth
-being able to partially bisect a person around the waist (sometimes when you kill someone with a slashing attack to the lower body it says that its "partially severed from the torso")
-being able to simply explode body parts by hitting them hard enough (I can understand how it works with hands or feet but how it would look like with an entire arm or leg I don't really know)
-gouging or otherwise cutting off all of a persons facial features, cutting off their limbs, disemboweling them and using fast travel to keep them alive
-people literally melting from being fire or magma
-cleaving open heads or crushing them

Etc. I'd argue DF would be the goriest game in existence if it was 3D with high-def graphics.
Im sure that if it was 3D with highdef graphics it would be banned in europe and at least 2 of the states.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 05:41:12 pm »

Im sure that if it was 3D with highdef graphics it would be banned in europe and at least 2 of the states.
Just the fact that you can kick babies until they explode in gore would get the game banned - should have mentioned that.

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 05:48:55 pm »

Just the fact that you can kick babies until they explode in gore would get the game banned - should have mentioned that.
Never tried this. I know what im doing for the next couple of hours. Im gunna clean this world of babies.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 06:11:56 pm »

This poll was brought up due to the argument of steam Greenlight in general discussion.

Just to throw my two cents in as I did before...

In dwarf fortress, you can geld children.

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 06:25:08 pm »

This poll was brought up due to the argument of steam Greenlight in general discussion.

Just to throw my two cents in as I did before...

In dwarf fortress, you can geld children.
Hi meatgod. Long time no see. XD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5