Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pardus: Exceptionally fun MMO in the vein of eve online! Free with no install!  (Read 1921 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's called Pardus. It's a free web based browser game. It is simple but amazing. I never thought I would like a browser game like this. Ok, maybe not simple, but the basics are easy enough to understand.

A link: http://www.pardus.at/index.php

The premise is simple: A huge galaxy that you can explore in and build buildings. Combat is done in the form of rounds.

First off, you start off with 5000 APs, or action points. You get 24 every 6 minutes. almost everything pertaining to advancing in the game costs action points. You can trade with starbases and planets, or, player owned starbases and buildings. Lots of ships to upgrade to. This game takes a while to progress in, but is fun to do so in. The economy is really good. If you don't have enough traders in your area, your buildings and planet in the sector might stagnate. This rarely happens, but I have seen some systems fail or just have no one upkeep them.

Combat takes place by "Walking" onto a square with a monster in it. Be aware, this is a sci fi space game, so you will fight enemies in ships. You may select up to 20 rounds of combat, but I wouldn't do that, even with a space maggot, until you have a decent gun and some armor. It is sort of like DnD style combat, but instantaneous. You have stats which increase by fighting "Worthy" Monsters. After you have spent 50,000 aps, you can now attack other people if you wish, and raid their buildings.

Definitely worth it. There is a premium option where you can have a slightly increased AP maximum (5,600 I think,) But they definitely don't shove money buying down your throat like most MMO RPGs. Indeed, I am competing quite well with several premium players.

All in all, PLEASE give it a try. People are leaving the game and it is dying after 5-6 years. The developers don't deserve it: They've made a wonderful game and are STILL updating it.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried it before, but I just can't stand the "action points" games anymore. When I play something, I want to be able to play it as much or as little as I can, instead of having an allotted number of actions and then having to wait until I can play more, and being punished if I didn't play for a few days.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's mostly to keep the game fairish so if you can only play it once or twice a week your not quite as behind as other people. And it keeps you from wasting to much time on it. It doesn't take long at all. But that's your opinion, and that's fine.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Premium features are rather more extensive, from looking at the website. The best ships and gear and the highest ranks in the factions are payer-exclusive. It's not handed to you, but a free player won't have access. Most of the rest are quality of life benefits and less obviously a winning advantage.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

Used to play it. Every square inch of the galaxy was saturated and there was almost nothing for a new player to really *do*. Then they opened up a completely new server where everything was fresh... that was crawling with pirates and space monsters and random stuff that would completely end you, so there wasn't much for a new player to really *do*.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a bit less saturated now. And I didn't mean to make this post so many times. The second I thought it hadn't posted, and that was after being told to move it to this forums.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Used to play it. Every square inch of the galaxy was saturated and there was almost nothing for a new player to really *do*. Then they opened up a completely new server where everything was fresh... that was crawling with pirates and space monsters and random stuff that would completely end you, so there wasn't much for a new player to really *do*.

Same. Everything is so... dominated by player alliances(essentially guilds). Can't do anything in a faction system without bending over and letting the local alliance leader or local manager(for larger alliances) place whatever they like in your orifice. Go outside faction space, and you're labeled a pirate and everyone can blow everything you own to hell without repercussions.

Oh, and if you so much as use anything but the 1MW Mining Laser against an upper-tier enemy(after paying an exorbitant sum to the local alliance just to get access), expect to be hunted down forever.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

Woah, haven't seen this game forever. PTW
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YA'LL.... The game has changed quite a bit from then. I am outside in the neutral and no one has attacked me at all. Some sectors are empty. It just depends. And highest ranks and such are not payer only.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to play it but then got discouraged. I think it was either the oversaturation or not enough saturation thing.

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Same. Everything is so... dominated by player alliances(essentially guilds). Can't do anything in a faction system without bending over and letting the local alliance leader or local manager(for larger alliances) place whatever they like in your orifice. Go outside faction space, and you're labeled a pirate and everyone can blow everything you own to hell without repercussions.

Oh, and if you so much as use anything but the 1MW Mining Laser against an upper-tier enemy(after paying an exorbitant sum to the local alliance just to get access), expect to be hunted down forever.

I'm playing pardus for quite some time now and can't agree to that. You have most activity in the core sectors while the neutral space is kinda empty. I've been sector commander of a neutral sector for some time and there were never trouble like those you mention.
Sure there are pirates out there but generally most players are friendly or at least neutral towards you. The part about the mining laser is half true. There are special training places which you are only allowed to use those lasers to keep enemies alive (player owned "nooks"). Anywhere else you are not restricted to any weapons as there are no ways to scan your equiptment anyway.
And about bending over to sector commanders.. well, you only need to "bend over" when building in alliance controlled sectors, those choose usually only which building you should build.
It doesn't matter that much anyway which building you build, as all of them are kinda balanced to make roughly the same money.

If anyone else wants to try pardus, you should at least try it out. Join some alliance, as playing alone makes it kinda boring.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Pardus still exists?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pardus still exists?
Yeah and its still supported by admins and stuff. They are working on a (currently well working) pardus-app for android and also doing some polls for introducing new stuff