Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kea Trap  (Read 1849 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kea Trap
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:30 pm »

Rather by accident, I have found a way to easily eradicate keas.

Per a habit, I constructed a high tower on my fort. Then, for aesthetic reasons, I constructed a balcony on the outside of it. While that was being built, I constructed hatch covers over all of the access stairs leading to that level. Then, as I built further up, I left a door leading to the balcony on the exterior of the tower.

Sensibly, I made sure the hatch covers were not pet-passable, since I'd had intermittent kea flocks for the entire game, and there were some stockpiles of valuables on the lower levels of the tower. I did not, however tightly seal the exterior door.

Now, when the keas arrive, they seem to congregate wherever there is a tightly-sealed door with loot on the other side even or especially if they can't get through it. You may imagine how this goes from here: The keas arrive, a full five of them (out of eight or so) flock to the interior of the tower, hovering expectantly around the sealed hatch covers. All I need to do then is to seal the exterior door, and then send a militia up to exterminate the pests.

:D

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kea Trap
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:50:30 pm »

Yeah, I see pets puzzled by doors sometimes I guess wild animals are similar.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:02:36 pm »

I think it just became time to give Keas the [BUILDINGDESTOYER:1] tag.

Just to keep in line with their mischievous real-life behavior of course.
I'd never do that just because I enjoy peoples suffering.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:07:47 pm by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:29:19 pm »

This absolutely would be accurate to real-life kea behaviour
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:43:57 pm »

Stockples and barracks under a roof also work nicely. Though there're still interrupted jobs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:51:39 pm »

Create a pillar w/stairs going up a few z levels by a depot/stockpike (of bait?)

Create a 'feather' pattern of floors on each level.  1byx long

Add cages or weapons.

Trading season

profit from your new kea boneyard

Also works for any erratic pack flyer, though keas, having motivation, are easier to predict
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:34:56 am »

Keas lack the building destroyer tag? This is surely an oversight. We must report this to Toady immediately.

Edit: By the Gods, I just realized he forgot to give them the mischievous attribute as well. This won't do at all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:39:32 am by Melting Sky »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »

I crammed my temp workshops (forge, smelter, wood furnace, carpenter, mason, mechanic and craft) around the wagon inside an 11x13 roofed wood building. 

I embarked with precious 2 hematite + 4 marble for my first steel bars. A flock of kea men and kea women freaking train piled onto the smelter and stole 4 steel bars before my 2 militia can react.  Next time, I'm calling a burrow alert!

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:08 pm »

I tried something like this, I built a tower about 3 stories tall just above the entrance to my fort, with a drawbridge kept closed until spring comes around so my dorfs can go out ant take surface plants to supliment my paper making industry.

Just below the top floor of my fort I've got my barracks with dorfs constantly training/sparring. I put a shiny thing in the furthest corner of the room away from the roof/fortification access. I believe it's a pile of zinc coins, so if they do nab something it won't be anything particularly valuable, nor the whole stack.

Every time a Kea tries to get into the room, my sparring dwarfs instead of being startled by the keas, decide to either punch them till they explode, or use their weapons to train on said keas.

It's supprisingly effective, since apparently scoring kills with weapons, even on "benign" creatures gives a quite noticeable XP boost to the skill that correlates to the finishing blow.

It's not quite a danger room, but it is at the same time every time the keas come calling...
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 04:04:03 am »

The only problem I see with the barracks implementation is occasional injury/death from falling when dodging dorfs tunnel through the tower walls.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 07:38:12 am »

I'd suggest something like this. It's what I developed to deal with annoying swarms of ravens. Weapon traps around every entrance to flense the little bastards.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 09:20:19 am »

This absolutely would be accurate to real-life kea behaviour

Keas would rip out those metal doors and gem windows and steal them.