Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Mission 27: Blizzard Team (ready)  (Read 18710 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mission 27: Blizzard Team (ready)
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:47:03 pm »

Vet team, you're going in to set up the portals to heph and guard them as you get people in. We've given you several remotes to open the portals, so you should be good even if you lose one of them somehow. You guys got one job: get down there and get as many people as you can through that portal. Doesn't matter who they are, as long as they're not obviously sick with something horrible (Stop the people who have ebola) or carrying a rocket launcher, let em through. Protect the portal. The newbie teams are at your command for this.  Expect this to get messy; there are gonna be people who want to take the portal for themselves. There are gonna be people who want your weapons, your gear, your ships and your internal organs. And there are gonna be people who just get caught up in the riot fever. Expect things to burn.  Stay as long as you can then kill the portal and get out. We got several places to go so don't go dying on the first stop.

You're used to this by now.  Your gear is sitting on the bed, a towel waiting on top of it. You're out the door in just over a minute, suited and armed, floating down the hall toward the hanger. Nyars is coming out of the bar, bat on his shoulder. He watches you pass with a placid expression. You cycle through the hanger airlock and out into the hanger just as the blast doors finish opening. The Supervets are already taking of by the time you float up to your ship and get strapped in. The skeletal frames of the hot drop ships vanish into the blue of the planetary ocean  before the back hatch of the shuttle begins to close.

>This is a simple one, people. Crowd control. Get them into the portal and leave before the city burns down. I'd recommend setting down somewhere where you can get people in easily but also keep the place well defended. Choose your LZ and we'll head down. Newbie teams have your back; just remember to duck when they start shooting. We don't expect much in the way of former UWM forces here, but the populace no doubt has its own mobs and warlords, and they won't hesitate to use force. Team leaders, I'm giving you a program. Its a remote disable for the portal system in case the remote gets lost. And by disable I mean it activates an explosive in the remote. Don't use it unless you need to. And make sure to target the right remote.

The quiet of decent is mundane. The rattle of reentry is banal. It's only once the waves and roar of surf reaches your ears that you begin to feel excitement, fear and anticipation. After a few minutes of descent the shuttle starts broadcasting images of the outside to you.  You're about a quarter of a mile up off the ground, hovering above an expanse of rotten brown. Semilunar Island is a crescent shaped ridge of black stone and mossy vegetation jutting from the sea, and along its inner curve a floating city of shacks and tents has been erected, spreading unevenly out into the ocean for what looks like several miles. It's a great scab of rusted metal, sun rotted plastic tarps, black tires, multicolored nylon ropes, ties and metal barrels, all undulating in the surf. The sea around it is choked with garbage and stained with filth and anaerobic algae.  The shuttle dips lower.

>Where do we wanna land? What we looking for?

(I suggest Firestorm and Blizzard coordinates this landing together, doing it independently is asking for trouble. )

>Beginning Transmission of the Truth across all radio bands, hijacked television stations and other communication systems as well as the shuttle broadcast system. Get ready teams, things are about to get ugly.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:31:41 am by piecewise »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 27: Blizzard Team
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:05:59 pm »

It seems like there's a decent patch of sparsely inhabited areas on the outer curve of the island. Is this the correct impression? What are they like? Black wasteland? Mine-strewn no-man's land? Dark woods? Toxic waste dump? Kind of average unappealing property that nobody's bothered to develop? I must know.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:55:58 pm »

How high is the ridge above the bay where the settlement is? Is it high enough to provide a vantage point? Is it low enough that someone with a SLMG could make a ramp from the bottom to the top?
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:18:14 pm »

Recall how im getting my ID down to the planets surface and check it for any changes since buying my exo enhanced caoacity mod. (+4 bonus now)

Begin creating a stairwell down from the ridge if thats where we land.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 10:30:25 am »

Have retroactively purchased a Sandbag unit for mission use (Wiki'd). Any enemies in sight on the ridge?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:20:22 am »

It seems like there's a decent patch of sparsely inhabited areas on the outer curve of the island. Is this the correct impression? What are they like? Black wasteland? Mine-strewn no-man's land? Dark woods? Toxic waste dump? Kind of average unappealing property that nobody's bothered to develop? I must know.
This impression is correct; the inner curve is densely populated but the outer curve sports only a few dozen homes scattered long its length. There are large stretches of beach and hillside that are unoccupied. The lower reaches of the outer edge of the island have collapsed and formed a nearly sheer cliff thanks to erosion from the sea, however the upper parts are more gently sloping and coated in thick underbrush and what look like trees but are far too wide and short, almost like giant bushes. The few houses that you can see along the outer side of the island are all embedded in little cleared rings of land in an otherwise densely overgrown area.

How high is the ridge above the bay where the settlement is? Is it high enough to provide a vantage point? Is it low enough that someone with a SLMG could make a ramp from the bottom to the top?
The island is fairly small, maybe two miles thick at the thickest point, and the ridge that forms it is highest on the eastern half of the crescent, rising to rounded. craggy point before sloping down on either side. It looks like this:

If you cut it in half and hollowed out the center.

Recall how im getting my ID down to the planets surface and check it for any changes since buying my exo enhanced caoacity mod. (+4 bonus now)

Begin creating a stairwell down from the ridge if thats where we land.

We'll assume the ID isn't manifested for now.

As per changes, well it has wings now and looks a lot more dragon like rather then the serpent form it used to have. 6 legged though, oddly enough.

Have retroactively purchased a Sandbag unit for mission use (Wiki'd). Any enemies in sight on the ridge?
There are a few people noticibly coming out of their homes now that the announcments have started over the broadcast system, but none of them look particularly threatening. The swarming crowds down in the slums look infinitely more dangerous, if only because you can't keep a good eye on all of them.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:50:17 am »

I guess the plan is same as Firestorm's: Inaccessible location on ridge, set up path via Solid Light Generator.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:25 am »

Limber up, give the club a few swings to get a feel for the weight. Prepare for a bit of the good old fashioned ultraviolence.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 09:19:53 am »

Keep my ID un-manifested for now.

begin constructing a solid light bunker for the portal to reside in, give it a 4 meter wide entryway leading all the way to the portal, solid two meter thick walls, and at least three heavy duty portcullis.

take my time and get things right, id rather get half a bunker than a perfetly formed 6 foot dollhouse.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 02:37:45 pm »

Limber up, give the club a few swings to get a feel for the weight. Prepare for a bit of the good old fashioned ultraviolence.
You give a few good baseball swings with the club. Gonna assume this white hot club is currently off, so as not to be boiling the atmosphere in the passenger compartment.

Keep my ID un-manifested for now.

begin constructing a solid light bunker for the portal to reside in, give it a 4 meter wide entryway leading all the way to the portal, solid two meter thick walls, and at least three heavy duty portcullis.

take my time and get things right, id rather get half a bunker than a perfetly formed 6 foot dollhouse.

Hold that thought.

I guess the plan is same as Firestorm's: Inaccessible location on ridge, set up path via Solid Light Generator.

This is a good idea. Now, unfortunately there's no perfect location for this, but there are several possible ones. The best looking one would require a bit of work to set up, but would be usable for your purposes.  It's a path that travels along the more sheer outer side of the island, with a steep drop below, and a steep wall above; its following a natural crag that has formed in the slope and about halfway down it's length is an area where it swells to be about 20-30 feet wide before shrinking back up to be only a few feet wide along the rest of the length. Ideally, the best method here would be to set things up on the wide part and then destroy the roads on either side  before rebuilding one of them with light matter.

The only other good location is a large, and I mean BIG, boulder thats sitting up on the ridge. The downsides to this are that, while it's big enough to set the portal up on, it's  also doesn't look very well anchored into the ridge so some sort of explosion or mass of people pushing could dislodge it.  It's also fairly hard to get to with no obvious path to it.

You guys choose.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 03:18:57 pm »

"That ridge looks good. How about the wide part?"

Vote for the ridge.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 03:22:16 pm »

Agree with dangerous path option.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 04:11:08 pm »

"The boulder sounds hilarious. But let's go for the path instead."

Little path along the ridge. Looks like prime property! Let's develop it.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 04:26:11 pm »

Ridge.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 12:08:59 am »

Vote ridge.

If shuttle doesnt have ziplines or rappel ropes manifest solid light versiond for the whole team and drop down onto the wide section of the crag.

Once there, begin crafting the aforementioned sturdy as fuck bunker.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9