Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Punching party  (Read 1530 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Punching party
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »

My entire fortress is passed out in exhaustion from punching a yeti repeatedly in the head.

Any ideas how to get them to leave it alone?  Or do I need to hope Migrants show up?

Also at some point I think one of them punched its nads off as it is now gelded.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:18:01 pm by Porpoisepower »
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Punching party
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:24:21 pm »

My entire fortress is passed out in exhaustion from punching a yeti repeatedly in the head.

Any ideas how to get them to leave it alone?  Or do I need to hope Migrants show up?

Also at some point I think one of the punched it's nads off as it is now gelded.
Make a burrow turn an alert on? Or are they too drunk to care?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:54:28 pm »

I had this happen in my recent glacier embark. Fortunately, I had one dwarf who wasn't in the scrum. I also had a spare axe lying in a stockpile about 10 tiles from the yeti. I put the dwarf in a squad and stationed him at the axe, so he would equip it (it was the only weapon in the fort, so I knew he'd take it, given the chance). He picked it up and immediately headed for the yeti. The copper axe wasn't good enough to decapitate the yeti, but it did open arteries enough to let it bleed out.

So you need to somehow get a dwarf to a weapon and get him to use it. Do you have any dwarves in the scrum with woodcutting turned on who are just carrying their axe and not using it? If so, you might try turning off woodcutting and assigning him to a squad. Hopefully he'll start using the axe.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:08:12 pm »

Burrows did the trick... at least long enough for caravan guards to show up and finish off the yeti!
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:50:09 pm »

Also at some point I think one of the punched it's nads off as it is now gelded.
LOL

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:21:48 am »

Of course this tendency to dogpile on an unkillable foe can be exploited to train your civilians into unstoppable martial arts masters. Just have some method for breaking up the fight before everyone starves.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:26:56 am »

Only so long as the practice dummy still up and/or the dwarves are wrestling it, since unconscious enemies (like the aforementioned yeti) won't level up skills under any other conditions.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 01:29:22 pm »

Only so long as the practice dummy still up and/or the dwarves are wrestling it, since unconscious enemies (like the aforementioned yeti) won't level up skills under any other conditions.

That's true; I've used zombies and bronze colossi for that purpose since they can't feel pain or fall unconscious. Especially reanimated head hair can be very useful since it's both invulnerable and completely harmless.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 03:48:21 pm »

Not entirely. Somehow, a single piece of hair killed 3 out of my original 7. And not by starving them. Just by pushing them in the head. Repeatedly. Five times a second, until a hit came through.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:19:27 pm »

Not entirely. Somehow, a single piece of hair killed 3 out of my original 7. And not by starving them. Just by pushing them in the head. Repeatedly. Five times a second, until a hit came through.

Really? Was it a whole animal hair or just a head hair? I haven't even suspected there could be any danger involved. In my Dwarven Child Care forts I've used various zombified head hairs and wools to train dwarves to stupid awesome levels without incident on either side, not counting the ruining of a perfectly good wool with dwarven sweat. All zombie hair attacks have just passed through, if they've made contact at all.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 04:48:42 pm »

How do you get just head hair? Chop the animal's head off before it dies?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 05:03:04 pm »

How do you get just head hair? Chop the animal's head off before it dies?

That, or have the dwarves punch the head hair off the animated whole hair.

Uhhh... welcome?