Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature ideas for apocalypse themed mod  (Read 1118 times)

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Creature ideas for apocalypse themed mod
« on: January 30, 2016, 06:39:06 am »

Ive been working on a complete dwarf fortress overhaul mod for a while now that turns the theme of the game from medieval fantasy to modern apocalypse
(think of something like fallout), and as such ive had to remove around 80% of the game's original non-irl creatures while having only few creatures to replace the removed ones.

So i decided to make this thread for anyone interested in giving their creature ideas for the mod.
I will likely accept any ideas into my mod as long as they arent overly unrealistic (rainbow dragon that shoots lightning from its nipples) or obvious jokes.

The mod will be released in about a week or so with your name in the credits if i used your idea. Have fun posting! :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:54:48 am by Cheesoburgor »
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Creature ideas for apocalypse themed mod
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:46:47 am »

The Iron Men.  Deformed humanoids with jagged metal shrapnel all over their body.  All of their attacks should do slicing damage, even their punches and kicks.  Make the flesh parts of their bodies artery less, and pain free, so they can't be disabled by wounds to their extremities, only a direct shot to the heart or decapitation should kill these buggers.  Give their blood a syndrome that transforms other humans into Tetsuo-ites. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:27:33 am »

What kind of apocalypse will it be? It would help to know if we're talking radiation, biological agents, murderous machines, etc.

Here's something:
Phantom animals - remants of the most hardy pre-apocalyptic species (coyotes, deer, raccoons). They basically look like mangy, hairless, emaciated version of normal animals. They might carry nasty syndromes, and carnivores may be more aggressive (no food, sickness).

Armadillo bugs - cat-sized woodlice. A threat to your food stockpile. Their chitinous armor might even be bulletproof

Sewer gator - giant albino alligator living in sewers caverns.

Thickskins - humans mutated by radiation/virus/whatever. Their skin grew extremally thick and hard, while their pain receptors atrophied after generations of being hidden deep under layers of skin. They have lost all traces human intelligence, and will try to kill your people with their bare hands.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:03:54 am »

What kind of apocalypse will it be? It would help to know if we're talking radiation, biological agents, murderous machines, etc.

Aftermath of a nuclear war with surviving creatures fighting eachother and the radiation, so mutated animals and humans is probably the way to go.
Although i would still like non-irl creatures for variance.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 01:06:05 pm »

Grave leech: a thin boneless mass with a few tendrils it uses to move or grasp, and a single toothy maw on the underside, with no other orifices, sense organs, or internal structures beyond the stomach and intestines. They can be anywhere from cat sized to elephant sized (castes), but all varieties eat carrion, drain blood from living victims, and will raid your food stockpile. Survivors of feedings will often be consumed by larva that were introduced from the creatures' bite, causing massive internal bleeding, pain, and necrosis. If the victim survives, that, the larva will gestate further until it emerges from their abdomen, consumes them, and continues life as an adult grave leech (transformation into grave leech caste roughly size of human) Corpses encountered by a grave leech will also either be consumed outright (reanimation that turns them into a creature that boils away immediately) or used to incubate further larva if the beasts' own appetite is sated (reanimation into small grave leeches. Leech has one interaction to "eat" corpses and several to incubate larva. All have equal cool down. If it encounters several corpses, hopefully it will eat one and raise the others)
- they are naturally crazed, not living, opposed to life, and prone to berserking.
- all individuals are genderless sans the largest castes, one of which is male and the other female, birthing a large number of larva. Smaller castes are more common.
- they have a lifespan of ~60 years and grow throughout that period. Because the game generates individuals around halfway through their lives by default, you can set their average body size for each caste at 30 years, and include slow growth to a larger size over the remaining 30-40 years. Larva could all start out the same size: tiny.
- they live in most damp or cool environments, from taigas to tropical mangrove swamps, and deep underground. Come in groups of 1-10 infrequently and meander about.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:08:52 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 02:20:30 pm »

Just as a note here for people with ideas, im in dire need for some (semi)megabeasts, so far i only have giant sandworms and mutated bears.
Normal beasts are greatly appreciated too, however.

I will also take ideas for plants and trees although i already have the amount i need for the mod.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 04:33:39 pm »

Grave leech: a thin boneless mass with a few tendrils it uses to move or grasp, and a single toothy maw on the underside, with no other orifices, sense organs, or internal structures beyond the stomach and intestines. They can be anywhere from cat sized to elephant sized (castes), but all varieties eat carrion, drain blood from living victims, and will raid your food stockpile. Survivors of feedings will often be consumed by larva that were introduced from the creatures' bite, causing massive internal bleeding, pain, and necrosis. If the victim survives, that, the larva will gestate further until it emerges from their abdomen, consumes them, and continues life as an adult grave leech (transformation into grave leech caste roughly size of human) Corpses encountered by a grave leech will also either be consumed outright (reanimation that turns them into a creature that boils away immediately) or used to incubate further larva if the beasts' own appetite is sated (reanimation into small grave leeches. Leech has one interaction to "eat" corpses and several to incubate larva. All have equal cool down. If it encounters several corpses, hopefully it will eat one and raise the others)
- they are naturally crazed, not living, opposed to life, and prone to berserking.
- all individuals are genderless sans the largest castes, one of which is male and the other female, birthing a large number of larva. Smaller castes are more common.
- they have a lifespan of ~60 years and grow throughout that period. Because the game generates individuals around halfway through their lives by default, you can set their average body size for each caste at 30 years, and include slow growth to a larger size over the remaining 30-40 years. Larva could all start out the same size: tiny.
- they live in most damp or cool environments, from taigas to tropical mangrove swamps, and deep underground. Come in groups of 1-10 infrequently and meander about.
Are they capable of living in water? how fast should they be? what is their colour?
Also as a sidenote, reanimation into another creature isnt possible as far as i know.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:48:57 pm by Cheesoburgor »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 03:49:16 am »

It is; just do a reanimation and a transformation syndrome in the same step. Always worked for me.

I would assume that larger castes are slower, the smallest being as fast as possible and slowest somewhat slower than the average human. They are amphibious and are not hindered in the least when moving through water as opposed to along the ground. Color... Uh, striped brown and black (I think there was a color definition for that already)

Semimegabeast; minotaur. Seriously, though not explicitly in the mythological sense. A minotaur makes a good mutant man-beast hybrid as it is. What I would like to try is using its body hair as the tissue layer referenced in a scratch attack wherein the beast merely has to brush up against you. Give the bull copper-tough hair fibres, see how much damage a bear hug can do :P

Megabeast; writhing wire chimera
A monster consisting of a cow-sized body (one part body) with a simple mouth, from which are protruding many (8-10) thin whip-like tentacles it uses to lash, slash, chop, grapple, strangle and dismember its prey quickly and efficiently. The body is supported on four thick limbs, the hind limbs capable of hurling it at speeds of 50kph indefinitely. Its not huge, but it can multi-attack with all of its tentacles, with a short recovery time, has natural melee skills, and can move a lot faster than a human. It never tires, has no fear, nor does it feel pain. It is comfortable in the water and amphibious, but can't move any faster than a human while submerged. It is a proficient climber with claws on its feet and can climb slightly faster than a human.
The skin is clear, the mouth leads only to a simple stomach and the creatures' brain. It gets extra vision for sensing the world around it without sense organs.
That should be suitably NOPE for melee combat, right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 07:14:17 am »

It is; just do a reanimation and a transformation syndrome in the same step. Always worked for me.

Pls tell me how, i tried to make cultists before that were basically normal necromancers exept they could summon demons and abominations but i could never get the transformation part to work

Edit: Nvm, for some reason i never tried to simply add transformation in the same interaction and instead tried to make the reanimated corpse have vampire-like blood that would instantly cause it to give itself another interaction that was the transformation.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:17:34 am by Cheesoburgor »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:24:49 am »

I like to have pictures to go along with the monsters I make so as I have a vision to what I want. Honestly just google pictures of monsters, perhaps go into deviantart and when you find something you look just click on search for similar. The inspiration part is usually the easy part.

...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...