Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pre-embark mod to allow picking dwarves?  (Read 2041 times)

Lomax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pre-embark mod to allow picking dwarves?
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:44 pm »

Am I the only one who is frustrated by the random seven dwarves that make up the initial expedition sometimes being completely incompetent? I always choose the "plan carefully..." option and while that allows me to pick every single item, and skill, there is no way to choose which dwarves are sent out. Sometimes Frequently the dwarves offered are so crap that I end up Ctrl+Alt+Delete and killing the Dwarf Fortress process to get a second selection - and a third - and a fourth... Before I know it I've spent two hours reloading without getting the team that I want. Yes, I am a control freak - but isn't that a prerequisite for playing DF in the first place? I would love to see either

• The ability to choose up to seven dwarves from a larger randomised list (~15-20) so I can go through and pick one for each role according to their attributes.
  • The ability to re-randomise the list of dwarves to get a new list of seven (from the pre-embark screen).

Is this at all acheivable?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:29:48 pm by Lomax »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Pre-embark mod to allow picking dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:04:04 pm »

No, but with DFHack you can change attributes.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Lomax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:05:46 pm »

Thank you, but that would be cheating:o

Lomax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 09:08:44 pm »

I should add perhaps, that I tend to play with a very small group of dwarves - pop-cap at 20 or lower - so the initial seven are really important to me.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:12:54 pm »

Thank you, but that would be cheating:o

Write yourself a set of point-buy rules and then it's only cheating if you break them.

varsens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:54:42 am »

I haven't used dfhack in awhile because I'm waiting for the latest version, but how hard would it be to use it to replicate 7 dwarves from say adventure mode? It would be pretty neat if you could gather up seven people in adventure mode, train them up and adjust their values via persuasion, and then find a spot on the world map to use as an embark. After embark you could use dfhack to change the values/attributes of your seven to match and you'd have something very close to a start "scenario" before Toady has even introduced it. I realize you wouldn't have the actual historical figures and there'd probably be other limitations.

Or would it be easier to start and then immediately retire a fort, find it on the map in adventure mode, retire the adventurers and then immediately reclaim the site?

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:46:14 am »

there is a script that lets you edit dwarfs while on the embark screen, including attributes.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152903.0;topicseen

otherwise, writing a script that rerolls attributes, limits them within certain constraints, or otherwise distributes them occording to some rules wouldnt be hard to do.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 11:20:14 am »

Has anyone delved how the game picks the Starting Seven?  I thought they were supposed to be primarily historical figures like the migrants.  Swapping one histfig for another at the embark screen seems relatively straightforward, though it might take some effort to get the game to refresh the list (or not... could be as easy as toggling to items and back).

Even if the plug-in can't reach into the larger population, just being able to re-order the Starting Seven would be helpful.  That way finding out that Dwarf 6 would make an excellent miner need not lead to several minutes of editing skills.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:20:21 pm »

They're definitely not pre-existing histfigs, never were.