Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toady: "So I started on the ability to specify materials for tasks." HOORAY!  (Read 5277 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile

From the devblog:

"So I started on the ability to specify materials for tasks. This'll possibly include further specifications for details like the shape of statues and wall engravings, depending on how all the complications work out. There are lots of complications, but I'm going to push at it for a bit longer and report back."

Excitement! Wonderment! Euphoria! I'm sure many of you will agree that this'll be the best thing to happen to fort mode since stockpile sharing. I can't wait! What could we dare to dream for?...

-Masonry, carpentry, leatherworking jobs being able to select specific materials to work with (dingo leather uniforms for everyone!)
-Craftsdwarf/jeweler/forge decoration jobs being able to select individual items to improve
-Being able to select decoration type (obsidian spikes on wood training swords for amusing, if ineffective, Aztec fortress)
-Kitchens being able to select (or even name?) recipes, so that your roasts aren't all 4 mincings of plump helmet

I'm just bubbling with excitement! What do you all hope for?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile

Very much looking forward to being able to select materials as well, might cut down some of stockpile management. I haven't been bothered much by not being able to select the other stuff but I certainly won't complain about it. Will be fun ordering weird statues and engravings, only negative part being I can't blame the dorfs anymore I guess.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile

Double Hooray. I am quite excited too. Can't wait to see how it is going to look like.

To answer your question, what I am hoping for. I made a suggestion about that topic just a few weeks ago explaining in detail how I personally envison it. (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155342.0). So it is a happy surprise for me, there is going to be a change soon. As always it is a complete mystery what exciting and wondrous stuff toady is going to cook up. But would be cool to see something of that in.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:44:02 pm by Urist McGoombaBrother »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Sounds good, although we can already do this indirectly with linked stockpiles and forbidding stuff.

I hope it's optional.  Sometimes it's just good enough to make doors or beds or whatever using the closest available material.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

I'm assuming that it'll work through the 'd'etail key, like the ability to specify the creature for clothing/armor. In that case, it's probably that "nearest valid object" will remain the default.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

-Being able to select decoration type (obsidian spikes on wood training swords for amusing, if ineffective, Aztec fortress)
Um... you can already make stone short swords out of obsidian and wood, which actually work as effective weapons.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

Decorations do nothing but make the sword look cool. Now, at least. Eventually, your suggestion may work, but decorations neither add weight nor help in combat.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I'm looking forward to giving some areas themed engravings and statues.

-Kitchens being able to select (or even name?) recipes, so that your roasts aren't all 4 mincings of plump helmet
Recipes were planned for last release, but delayed in the end. I suspect they would have ended up procedural like the music and that they'll likely not end up customisable in the next release unless as a side effect, here's to hoping, though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Amen to that brother.

Recipes were planned for last release, but delayed in the end. I suspect they would have ended up procedural like the music and that they'll likely not end up customisable in the next release unless as a side effect, here's to hoping, though.
Personally, something I look forward to more than customizable recipes is recipes that are actual recipes. Flour, milk, eggs and sugar shouldn't make a roast, they should make a cake!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm ecstatic.  Being unable to control materials is a constant irritation, and now I won't have to deal with it any more! :D
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the devblog:

"So I started on the ability to specify materials for tasks. This'll possibly include further specifications for details like the shape of statues and wall engravings, depending on how all the complications work out. There are lots of complications, but I'm going to push at it for a bit longer and report back."

Excitement! Wonderment! Euphoria! I'm sure many of you will agree that this'll be the best thing to happen to fort mode since stockpile sharing. I can't wait! What could we dare to dream for?...

-Masonry, carpentry, leatherworking jobs being able to select specific materials to work with (dingo leather uniforms for everyone!)
-Craftsdwarf/jeweler/forge decoration jobs being able to select individual items to improve

I'd love to be able to make recipes, if only to get around a few old problems with stockpile management.  Namely, cooks hate picking up liquid ingredients like dwarven syrup.  They also don't combine seed stacks, so a seed 'roast" will generally never exceed size 4.  So I could then add ingredients I want to burn through to every roast, like plump helmet spawn and tree-nuts.  Almonds and such count as seeds, so they are capped at 200.  Being able to easily force the use of almonds so I can collect more would be a big help.  As it stands, I can forbid all other foods and make almond roasts, but turning off everything but flour, almonds, syrup, and fruit will often just result in the syrup being untouched and getting almond-only and fruit-only roasts... with the odd bit of flour thrown in.

Hell, just fix the damned bug where dwarves just pick up 4 of the nearest ingredients to make a roast.  Force dwarves to actually need 4 SEPARATE ingredients or the roast fails.  Do something to preent all these plump helmet only roasts!

HOwever, this assumes Toady is actually working on recipes yet alone decorations.  He may just do statues/engravings and move on to something else. Even then, being able to commission deity-specific statues for temples would be great.  We could even need god-statues for use as idols in temples. Temples really need something to define them... right now we can just label an empty, rough-hewn room as a temple and our Urists wouldn't care.

I'm just bubbling with excitement! What do you all hope for?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems, according to the most recent dev post, that we can finally make a complete replica of our military's soldiers as clay statues.

Also, the menu for picking items could potentially become the most infuriating part of the interface, what with all the potential choices to make.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Also, the menu for picking items could potentially become the most infuriating part of the interface, what with all the potential choices to make.
Apparently we can save them once done, though, so that would make more complicated things much more manageable. Hopefully we'll get a search option as well.

Personally, something I look forward to more than customizable recipes is recipes that are actual recipes. Flour, milk, eggs and sugar shouldn't make a roast, they should make a cake!
Oh yeah, I never even thought about cooking for this. It would be neat if custom recipes are included, but I'd like to see a proper rework of cooking (and food in general) at some point anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile

Amen to that brother.

I do wonder if it's possible to have procedurally generated baked goods.
Like, given a set of ingredients and instructions, can a simple program accurately predict what the result will be like?
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I do wonder if it's possible to have procedurally generated baked goods.
Like, given a set of ingredients and instructions, can a simple program accurately predict what the result will be like?
I suppose you could "calculate" the result by guessing what each ingredient (egg, flour, milk, etc.) would do. An easier way around it would be to have "base" recipes like cake, bread, and so on, and tack on some other ingredients. Elf blood muffins, perhaps.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: [1] 2