Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How do dwarfs see?  (Read 6867 times)

Randos

• Bay Watcher
  • The Earth Strikes You!
    • View Profile
    • Comic Wolf
How do dwarfs see?
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:26:32 am »

Perhaps a curveball of a question, but how exactly do dwarfs see? :)

I am making a comic which causes me to think of all of these physical details. Previously I had to dig through the wiki to figure out how they drink and now I see that mugs are an integral part of the game! Although I think that was a coincidence.

Now I am stuck thinking about "light sources" in the fortress? Do dwarfs simply see in the dark very well? Do you imagine they set up torches or lamps? I don't recall ever seeing anything in game which requires light source, although I think you can make candles when you have bees managed and wax set up, is that right?

What do you usually imagine regarding lighting?

And any info on light sources which are currently craftable is appreciated. I will be digging through the wiki.

robsteel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: How do dwarfs see?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:40:07 am »

Echolocation.

Dwarf beards are actually a highly sensitive receiver of sound so the average dwarf can map out the area in front of him by shouting "Urist!" and waiting for the echo.

My first thought would be really good night vision, but everything can see equally well. There's no mention of any light sources except for Magma and !!ELF!!, sooooo... glowing wall fungi? Maybe?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 02:12:07 am »

There's no mention of any light sources except for Magma and !!ELF!!, sooooo... glowing wall fungi? Maybe?
It's in the dev plans. Currently only adventure mode has any obstruction of view.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 02:26:45 am »

Apparently it depends on how deep they're used to living. I forget which DF Talk it was on but Toady has stated that deep dwarves are supposed to have a very different physiology from hill dwarves. The description that stuck out to me was "glowing eyes, a 'beard' composed of flesh, and other Lovecraftian traits that speaks in a Scottish accent".

So from that I'd assume they've got hyper-reflective retinas to maximize light like a cat does, some sort of extra-sensory organ localized in the chin/upper neck (Heat detection pits? Perhaps tendrils similar to the Star-nosed Mole's?) and possibly the gratuitous use polished stone/metal to more efficiently reflect light from outside into the depths.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 05:01:13 am »

yuugh a beard of flesh? Why not some cat-like whiskers in amongst the hairbeard
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:02:20 am »

yuugh a beard of flesh? Why not some cat-like whiskers in amongst the hairbeard
Because we have to many cats already as it is. :P

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:58:30 am »

In DnD, dwarves have Darkvision, which is pretty much what it says on the tin. I take that as them being able to see in the dark, in DF.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 11:12:08 am »

Dwarves have nightvision...
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:45:35 am »

the only explanation as to how dwarves can sense the exact location of a sock thats miles above ground and know the instant its owner dies is if they can sense aura
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 12:07:12 pm »

the only explanation as to how dwarves can sense the exact location of a sock thats miles above ground and know the instant its owner dies is if they can sense aura
but how come they cant tell there is a swarm of goblins waiting to kill them then?   ;D

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »

but how come they cant tell there is a swarm of goblins waiting to kill them then?   ;D

because the greed of having that new sock is just too great for them to not risk it
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 12:39:51 pm »

-snip-

because the greed of having that new sock is just too great for them to not risk it
... dorfs are dumber than i thought, candy is mre valuable, but they still go for socks first  :P

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 01:09:08 pm »

Maybe dwarves have thermal detection organs like snakes do.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 03:07:56 pm »

Not to mention 'recover wounded' whenever someone a 103 z-levels away stubs their toe on a crundle.

And sometimes 'recover wounded' just for shits and giggles where the wounded, eternally grateful, leaves the hospital at the same moment as their 'saviour'.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »

My headcanon is that dwarves carry a specialized microbiota in their beards, some of which produces a dim light (maybe as strong as a kid's glow-in-the-dark toy), and some of which respires oxygen. As dwarves create their dwellings, the microbiota spread from the beards and grow on the walls, taking care of both light and air.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4