Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859238 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9795 on: April 16, 2022, 07:48:23 pm »

I just remembered I'm actually a prince working on an oil rig with all this gold and I've suffered a deathly injury and the only way to save me is to send me $5000 on iTunes gift cards, because I'm also in love with the reader of this message and their PC has a virus.

What medicine do I need to give my player character to treat this virus?

With this special NFT Vaccine, backed by the blockchain, your computer will be forever immune to phishers, trolls, viruses, and other internet ailments forever. All we need is a monthly subscription of 199.99. Of course, like all vaccines, you'll need a double (or maybe even a triple) dose, so get two or more subscriptions while you're at it. More is better, you can't be too safe.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: April 17, 2022, 03:53:08 am »

Pretend you are searching for Easter eggs.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: April 17, 2022, 04:44:33 pm »

stupid idiot brother won't get vaccinated or get tested with whatever illness he has now

stupid idiot brother is visiting my parents and is the reason i am not visiting as well for the holiday, because i did not make it two fucking years without catching covid only to pick it up from his willful indifference

or, at best, i don't have it in me to lose two days to a head cold

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: April 17, 2022, 08:56:10 pm »

"You shouldn't go outside to work in the garden, today's Easter and it will look bad"
I've never been mad about being made not to work. Help how do I get through this day, working on the garden for an extended period of time I feel is the only way to relax.

meanwhile: "I'm sorry you have to work on [holiday]"

my brother in christ, you came here on [holiday], you're the reason I'm working [holiday]
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: April 20, 2022, 07:31:00 pm »

Today's my first day since the end of my seasonal position, back to being unemployed. Getting up in the morning, all I wanted to do was to get ready to go to work, and then go to work. But there's no work to go to. I felt really bad just sitting in my apartment not knowing what to do.

I started watching the Lord of the Rings movies, like I might have mentioned recently. Having a fresh memory of the books in my brain has seriously pre-ruined the movies for me. I feel like all I can do is purse my lips and go "Okay yeah, that's different, that line of dialogue changed, they cut that, they invented entirely new scenes that were not in the books..." etcetera and etcetera. I really loved the books, and so watching the movies just feels like I'm having to endure the events of the books being rewritten by hacks that are clearly not at the authorial-skill of Tolkien, and the overall feeling of the story being poisoned by the movie-tropes and cultural tastes of a generation decades removed from the story's inception.

I do like their interpretation of Gollum however. "What's taters, precious?"

One meta thing that seems to have happened since I've read the books is that now I'm noticing LOTR references fucking everywhere. It feels like I can't go through one day without coming across some direct LotR jokes or homages. I'm not looking for them, it just feels like now that I know the material, all the jokes are magically converging and forcing their way into my life.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: April 20, 2022, 08:23:14 pm »

meanwhile: "I'm sorry you have to work on [holiday]"

my brother in christ, you came here on [holiday], you're the reason I'm working [holiday]
it's the capitalist misery ouroboros, they're at your shop on [holiday] wasting money because you're there to open it on [holiday] because they're at your shop on [holiday] wasting money

just think, if you hadn't been opened they could have found something else to do with their time so you wouldn't have opened :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: April 21, 2022, 05:32:34 am »

Maybe we should go back to making free holidays and Sundays law
Love, scriver~

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: April 21, 2022, 11:20:51 am »

Why do I get sick all the time...
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: April 21, 2022, 12:29:57 pm »

Are you sleeping/eating/drinking enough?

Could also be the time of year, I tend to get sick between Winter and Spring and Autumn and Winter.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: April 21, 2022, 01:21:48 pm »

I drink all the time, yet I'm always sick!  :P

I also eat lots of stuff, and that makes me sick too!

...you may have something with that sleep thing.  But less funny is that lots of sleep just makes me depressed because I can perceive the world better.
It also hurts my back.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: April 22, 2022, 10:58:23 am »

So, in celebrating Earth Day, I was curious what I could do to help reduce Climate Change.
The list
1: Save energy at home - I don't own the domicile where I live, so I can't do a lot of those things.  I also get painfully cold in the winter months.
2: Walk, bike, or take public transport - There is ZERO public transportation where I live.  My Gas Guzzler is my Life&Work.
3: Eat more vegetables - I have actually been doing that for health and financial reasons (meat is expensive). So nothing new I can do here
4: Consider your travel - Driving is one of the few luxuries I can marginally afford.  But yeah, fuck planes.  Also, Trains don't exist in the US
5: Throw away less food - I'm not generally wasteful on food
6: Reduce, reuse, repair & recycle - I can't afford to buy much, recycling just doesn't happen where I live
7: Change your home's source of energy - Again, I don't own the residence.  Plus, my family can't afford to change our energy source.
8: Switch to an electric vehicle - I can't afford to switch out my existing vehicle, and the electric car infrastructure isn't really present yet.
9: Choose eco-friendly products - No, I can not afford to choose what I buy based on eco-friendly concerns.
10: Speak up - Most of the people I know think climate change is a Liberal Hoax.  And I gotta live and work with these people.

So...You can only fix the environment if you are middle class, rich, and live in a city.  Got it.  Fuck you Mother Nature, I guess...
EDIT: My real criticism is that it is apparent that whichever asshats are working on this project are college educated, middle-class, suburban/urban and completely out of touch with large numbers of Earth's population.  No wonder they're losing this war for Earth's survival...

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: April 22, 2022, 11:18:50 am »

It's almost like the ecological ramifications and responsibilities for unfettered capitalism have been outsourced to the general population...

It gets a little zestier if you look at the "aworld" app associated with the UN post you linked, which is for "education, edutainment, loyalty and reward, corporate social responsability[sic], welfare" (look at that order of priorities) through "gamification, content, habits, engagement, community, challenges, and measurement of the impact."

Just what I need for a sustainable future- content.

Which itself has like twenty sponsors, from things like credit card companies (flowe) to, I don't even know, Vans, or GreenPea (which itself is partnered with Mastercard), which builds "green retail parks" and sells you a membership for fifty euros, but they'll mail you wine and 5kg of pasta.

They're trying to sell you on consuming sustainability instead of consuming sustainably, because the latter is much more dependent on corporate action and regulation.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:31:12 am by None »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: April 22, 2022, 11:41:19 am »

If you have kids, it's almost impossible to avoid "throwing out food." I mean I'm surprised I haven't gotten in trouble with my kids' school for the number of days my kids come home with their lunchboxes still full.  And it's food that doesn't keep that well.  Or the amount of times they refuse to eat 30% of the bread, because it's attached to a crust.

I mean I guess I could starve them so they are hungry enough to eat it all?

Also I'm trying to buy an EV, as I'm blessed enough with the means to do so, but I swear the car companies are trying to make it as impossible as feasible. Nobody has any in stock, and you can't even order them, you just get them if you are lucky enough to be present when the truck delivers one.  At least the ones I'm even interested in buying - because I'm convinced most of the EVs are designed by people who have never driven a car, because their UX is made for people addicted to tablets and smartphones1, not people who like to drive.  Or they are the ones that really are just "get you from point A to point B" without actually being interesting to drive.  I mean I'm in this for a 10-year plus investment, I want to enjoy what I'm driving.  Guess I'll just keep my 12-year-old liquid-fuel vehicle around for longer until EV availability is better.

Spoiler: 1 (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: April 22, 2022, 12:02:18 pm »

Save the crusts, make crust beer
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: April 22, 2022, 12:06:56 pm »

I can guarantee the school would be far from amused if you started sending your kids there with crust beer :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 779