Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859034 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9660 on: February 14, 2022, 01:13:18 pm »

Funny how organized religions (big or small) thrive on those desperate enough to believe anything in hopes of "salvation" be it physical or spiritual. If they weren't around for millennia, everyone would readily consider them as con artists.

I much prefer it over unorganized religion or atheism. I don't see what's wrong with it as long as you aren't a fundamentalist.

That is such a cop out. Even the more moderate ones, those that don't outright pick up weapons to hunt the non-followers, will still push for legislation that conforms to or reinforces their beliefs. It's only a matter of time for political leaders to arise to their cause, either because they also believe them or as a mean to gain power and profits. A person can believe whatever they want but the moment their beliefs affect others, it becomes an issue for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:15:32 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: February 14, 2022, 02:32:51 pm »

My Reply to Mctraveller

Darwin didn't kill Christianity or Theism; Darwin put an end to a very specific view of Creationism.  Not even all types of Creationism mind you; there are many Christians who believe that evolution, quantum mechanics, and even the Big Bang are compatible with Theism.  God really is unfalsifiable at that level - "God could have initiated the big bang, and all of science as we know it flows from that."  It's just a detail, not a strong argument.

As part of my previous oversimplification, I said that a reasonable and scientifically minded person would inevitably discover evidence that contradicted the existence of God. That's not really true. Due to the fact that God is in many ways outside of science, you won't find any evidence that directly refutes His existence. What you will find though is evidence against a given church's Dogma or interpretation of God.

*snip*

That's not the most important thing though. As science has progressed, we've relied less and less on religion to answer our common everyday questions. We now know where the rain comes from, why people get sick, the mundane origins for awe-inspiring events like earthquakes and hurricanes, and we even figured out most of the stuff involving the origin of life, our planet, and the universe. God may still be real but the truth is that we don't need him as much as we used to. And as a result, more and more people are choosing to go without him.

When I said "That's not the most important thing though", my implication was that the next thing I said was the important thing and the crux of my argument. Re-reading it again, I see that I was too subtle and wish I could have phrased it a bit differently.

So as you can see, I already agreed with everything you said in that quote. God cannot be falsified, and the falsification of specific church beliefs are just details I added for completion's sake. I am well aware of the ways in which God can exist alongside modern science, but my point is that modern science has taken over many of religion's original functions. You can still believe in him, but it is a fact that God does not play as strong of a role in people's lives than it did for our ancestors. God's grasp on people's faith is weaker as a result now, and that's why less people will believe even if the Church hadn't been repeatedly shooting itself in the foot. You used to be able to see God's work all around you, but now you can just see chemistry and physics.

Those who reject science don't have to deal with these kinds of issues as much.

I would also argue that very few people actually live like they are true atheists because most people believe evil exists.  It's not possible to derive evil from physical principles; it has to come from something outside physics and social pragmatism.  In the words of some religious texts, "God is written on people's hearts" - we have that sense of good and evil.

You can't make statements like "humanity should survive" or "we should protect the planet" from a moral stance without God in my opinion; you can make it from a practical stance, but not a moral one.  Put harshly: there is no existential reason why "humanity should survive" if there is no God, same as there is no reason why a given atom of hydrogen should survive instead of being turned into helium in the core of a star.

Oh, and Marx just replaced one kind of religion with another for a broad enough definition of religion.

An entire book has been written to refute this argument and it is a text as important to science and evolution as the Origin of Species. Though many don't like Richard Dawkins (I personally think he takes his religious hate boner way to far, plus his twitter stuff is cringe), he was a real scientist and his book The Selfish Gene is adored by the scientific community. Since I don't believe I can do an entire book justice with a mere forum post, I will do my best to summarize the important points once and then drop the subject if I don't convince you.

EDIT: Some people would argue that real morality does not exist as a result. Nietzsche certainly held that position. But regardless, most humans feel a desire in our hearts to do "good", whatever their definition of that may be. As you say:

"'God is written on people's hearts' - we have that sense of good and evil."

In his book, though Dawkins did argue that this feeling was just something implanted in us by selfish genes to help them reproduce, he dedicated the last chapter of his book to saying that our advanced minds have given us the potential to strive for an even higher good and argued that we should pursue it. Though he was an atheist, he believed in something beyond his own biology which I find really interesting.

My Reply to Max the Fox

snip
That is still not an argument for or against Christianity, just against fundamentalism. Yes, churches are losing followers, but haven't you thought that it's because of the pandemic physically preventing people from going? Cause and effect. And in any case, why would I succumb to peer pressure? A small fraction of people leaving isn't an argument.

It's a fact that churches have been losing followers and many of them have shut down as a result. Buildings that have lasted centuries are now being demolished to build condominiums. This has been happening since before the Pandemic. The fundamentalist churches have been more resilient to this trend...

Yes, I did think about it.

You don't have to succumb to peer pressure. My argument has never been about why you should leave the church. It has just been an explanation for why more and more people are leaving the church and why less people are leaving fundamentalist ones. If you believe God plays enough of a role in your life to be worth worshiping, then fair enough. There are many benefits to religion and the nihilism most atheists fall into hasn't been good for them.

Darwin didn't kill Christianity or Theism;
*snip*
Sums up my argument. Religion and science are only exclusive if you're a fundie... in either direction. And I feel a world without all religion would be a much worse one and honestly a borderline dystopia if everything else is the same.

See my reply to McTraveller.

Other replies

I feel like there has to be something inherently good about religion[...]
Agreed. I've already written too much as it is though to elaborate further.

*snip*

Islam on the other hand is actually growing last time I checked. This growth is happening in the middle east though, but that's due to a combination of political instability and the efforts of theocratic governments. Over there, there are more important things to worry about than the question of whether God exists or not. Plus, the people really need the hope religion provides.

*snip*

@heydude6: Thanks for the more detailed explanation.  Makes sense to me.

As for the Middle East, I'd argue information isn't as widely disseminated and technology isn't as prevalent.  Plus governments mandating religion tend to get the numbers up.  But I've never been there, so I'd like to avoid stereotyping based upon inaccurate information.

Agreed. I sort of meant to reference that when I was talking about political instability, but I didn't elaborate enough.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:04:17 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: February 14, 2022, 04:10:26 pm »

._.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: February 14, 2022, 05:26:28 pm »

Quote from: heydude6
In his book, though Dawkins did argue that this feeling was just something implanted in us by selfish genes to help them reproduce, he dedicated the last chapter of his book to saying that our advanced minds have given us the potential to strive for an even higher good and argued that we should pursue it. Though he was an atheist, he believed in something beyond his own biology which I find really interesting.

So at a high level - I was responding in general, not to your specific post.

Personally I don't like Dawkins for exactly the reason you note - he talks about not requiring theism but then believes in something "beyond biology."

Also I think his selfish gene thing is spurious - a gene cannot "want" anything or be selfish - a gene can only exhibit a certain probability of propagation.  So I agree with the premise that perhaps social structures like emergent "morality" might increase the probability of that trait being propagated in the future.  I'm not convinced it's a causal relationship though - I think it's in the class of the anthropic principle (we observe it that way because that's what it is).  But even if it is causal, it falls into the whole "but God could have created the laws of physics such that type of gene would have higher propagation fitness."  So you end up with that pointless argument.

Where I have trouble with Dawkins especially is where he makes the leap, as you summarized, that "our advanced minds have given us the potential to strive for an even higher good and argued that we should pursue it."  There is no basis by which to claim "higher good" for any course of action and a merit for pursuing such a course of action - the best you can do is claim trying to pursue something that has a higher probability of propagation.  In other words he's assigning "merit" to propagation fitness; seems circular and not particularly helpful as a worldview.  "Act this way, so that others in the future will act this way" is its core... seems... disappointing.

My personal belief is that God exists and it falls into the Godel situation of a truth that is unprovable in the universe we have.  I admit that it could also be an unprovable falsehood; either way, if you try to claim God is (un)provable you've fallen into an un-winnable argument because I think it's just not provable either way - it's an inherently faith-based assertion.

Also related: one of the amazing (and frankly awesome) things is one of the Hebrew names for God: "I AM".  It's a statement of existence without cause, just a statement of existence. It's no different from me on this forum stating that I, McTraveller, exist.  All you have to go on is the words on the screen, and your interactions with them.  I could be an AI, I could be your imagination, or I could be an independent entity.

(Should this go in the philosophical panic thread?  :P)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: February 14, 2022, 08:57:10 pm »

3) As death becomes a certainty rather than a possibility, they then cling back to religion.
"No atheists in foxholes, huh?" :P  I'd contest that, but I'm sure it brings religious people a lot of comfort to think that atheists secretly agree with them. 

My problem with organized religion is that it's far more dangerous than a bunch of religious people.  There's literally nothing wrong with being religious, but there is something very dangerous about being told what to think.  Not every church is preaching intolerance, or using "charity" to recruit, or influencing the government.  Most of them are, and I don't see any benefit to it.  Charity would still be done and it would be much more honest.  People could still congregate and discuss the big questions, they just wouldn't be held to any doctrine.

I like what I hear about Unitarian churches that way, because as far as I can tell their only doctrine is "tolerance".  I don't know if that's actually true though.

On the other hand, some churches near me have LGBTQ+ pride flags.  That's... great?  Tolerance in general is wonderful, but if they're preaching tolerance towards specific groups... that feels a bit like using the tools of the enemy.  Which is a losing game, since the structure of organized religion is inherently build to divide people into "us, holy" and "them, damned".
Actually most churches aren't aggressive about it. And doctrine is, IMO, necessary to prevent straying from the path. Yes, it is "us, holy" and "them, damned". I am fine with that. In addition, those Bible verses commonly said to condemn homosexuality were mistranslated from the original Hebrew; they actually condemn pedophilia, which was common then. Thus tolerance of pedos is bad, while tolerance of gays is good. Homophobia isn't Christianity's fault by itself, it's the fault of people legitimizing their previously-held beliefs with a bastardization of religion.
Also, remove all pedos.

Funny how organized religions (big or small) thrive on those desperate enough to believe anything in hopes of "salvation" be it physical or spiritual. If they weren't around for millennia, everyone would readily consider them as con artists.

I much prefer it over unorganized religion or atheism. I don't see what's wrong with it as long as you aren't a fundamentalist.

That is such a cop out. Even the more moderate ones, those that don't outright pick up weapons to hunt the non-followers, will still push for legislation that conforms to or reinforces their beliefs. It's only a matter of time for political leaders to arise to their cause, either because they also believe them or as a mean to gain power and profits. A person can believe whatever they want but the moment their beliefs affect others, it becomes an issue for everyone.
I am fine with such legislation actually. You seem to assume I am not.

snip3
Yeah, what McTraveller said. A gene can't want anything because a gene is not sentient. It is purely an emergent phenomenon. In addition, Dawkins is inherently highly biased due to his beliefs (or lack thereof).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: February 14, 2022, 10:19:45 pm »

While I am enjoying the various perspectives on offer, there is a religion thread somewhere that I can’t be bothered to find which would probably be a better place for a continued, fuller, and (perhaps most importantly) on-topic discussion.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: February 14, 2022, 10:33:35 pm »

Also I think his selfish gene thing is spurious - a gene cannot "want" anything or be selfish - a gene can only exhibit a certain probability of propagation.  So I agree with the premise that perhaps social structures like emergent "morality" might increase the probability of that trait being propagated in the future.  I'm not convinced it's a causal relationship though - I think it's in the class of the anthropic principle (we observe it that way because that's what it is).  But even if it is causal, it falls into the whole "but God could have created the laws of physics such that type of gene would have higher propagation fitness."  So you end up with that pointless argument.
Yeah, what McTraveller said. A gene can't want anything because a gene is not sentient. It is purely an emergent phenomenon. In addition, Dawkins is inherently highly biased due to his beliefs (or lack thereof).

I never used the word "want" in my summary (feel free to quote me and bold the word if you want to prove me wrong). I have no idea how you guys even managed to shoehorn something like that in there. Just like how genes for claws are able to propagate themselves by making their host organisms better at fights, genes for morality propagate themselves by making their hosts better at decision-making (as far as spreading the gene is concerned). No sentience is required. Neither is a higher power, though I agree there is no reason why that couldn't be the case if God wanted to.

Dawkins does not talk much about much about religion in his book (though he does go out of his way to highlight a mistranslation in the old testament), he is a biologist and his book is about biology. His anti-theistic beliefs do not influence the science, which has been embraced by the scientific community. Max, please do not do a "You're nit-picking and biased, therefore I win"

Where I have trouble with Dawkins especially is where he makes the leap, as you summarized, that "our advanced minds have given us the potential to strive for an even higher good and argued that we should pursue it."  There is no basis by which to claim "higher good" for any course of action and a merit for pursuing such a course of action - the best you can do is claim trying to pursue something that has a higher probability of propagation.  In other words he's assigning "merit" to propagation fitness; seems circular and not particularly helpful as a worldview.  "Act this way, so that others in the future will act this way" is its core... seems... disappointing.

I frankly hated that section of the book when I first came across it. It doesn't affect the theory in any way, but it as you said, quite unscientific. You must admit that there is a truth to it though.

The biggest moral change in our society that we're seeing right now is the death of natalism. For those who don't know natalism is the belief that humans have a moral imperative to reproduce. You don't see much pure natalism nowadays, but it is the foundation for things like homophobia, and transphobia. Things that our society has become much more accepting towards. From a cruel and pragmatic gene-propagation perspective, it makes more sense to pressure those individuals to reproduce anyways and hope that their offspring aren't so queer, but we don't do that anymore (though we certainly used to). Most of us consider this to be progress.

Ninjaed by Hector. I was ready to let this discussion end, but Max's last reply provoked a response from me. I don't know how long this will continue for, but I don't believe it will be for very long. It hasn't been a toxic discussion though, so I haven't felt the need to change thread.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: February 15, 2022, 01:28:34 am »

Of course you are, as is everyone else that willingly follows the same (dominant) religion. The people that aren't ok with it, are those that don't follow that religion and yet they are forced to live by those rules. I believe you  understand how that comes in direct conflict with the concept of religious freedom.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: February 15, 2022, 01:46:04 am »

I think Max is actually a relatively recent convert, so I think she understands how important religious/atheist freedom is.  I'm a hypocrite for saying this after I jumped in, but maybe we should leave the subject alone (or at least move it somewhere else). 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: February 15, 2022, 03:27:31 am »

Just like how genes for claws are able to propagate themselves by making their host organisms better at fights, genes for morality propagate themselves by making their hosts better at decision-making (as far as spreading the gene is concerned). No sentience is required. Neither is a higher power, though I agree there is no reason why that couldn't be the case if God wanted to.
What even is your argument then? Most religions can't really be disproven with science. And yes, pure natalism sucks. I consider everyone who wants humans to go extinct an enemy, but LGBT rights will not make humanity extinct and anyone who says so is misinformed or simply a bigot.

Of course you are, as is everyone else that willingly follows the same (dominant) religion. The people that aren't ok with it, are those that don't follow that religion and yet they are forced to live by those rules. I believe you  understand how that comes in direct conflict with the concept of religious freedom.
I support religious freedom to an extent, for example forcing people to convert or outright denying science is a no-go. But sponsoring a religion is alright in my book. That is where we disagree.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: February 15, 2022, 07:49:40 am »

Sorry I took the verb "implanted" in

something implanted in us by selfish genes to help them reproduce

to imply an act of agency rather than happenstance.  I would have phrased it "an effect of the genes that helps them reproduce" to avoid that implication.  Even if I don't fully agree with how it's used, I'm all for making a stronger argument :)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: February 15, 2022, 12:58:34 pm »

Seriously, guys. Anyone criticising The Selfish Gene for the word 'selfish' in the title has either not read the book and is judging it, quite literally, by the cover, or didn't understand any of it. The title is just a nice heuristic for the purely physical processes that the book describes. Pretty much all of it is showing how from a simple mechanistic fact about what makes information propagate a whole slew of complexity can arise. Like, it's the whole point that the genes don't >want< anything. But it's also very easy to visualise the results if you imagine that they do.
It's as if Newton's Prinicipia (not meant to imply the two books are in the same category) were called 'Why apples like to go down', and then people saying they don't like Newton's opinions on gravity on the basis that apples don't have feelings.
In his interviews Dawkins often bemoans the public reading too much into the title to the detriment of the contents. You're criticising him for an opinion he expressly does not hold.

And he's not peddling some social-darwinist metaphysics where he waxes poetical about striving for greater good. Nor does he ask you to make a leap of faith there. He is just saying: ain't it neat that from such simple mechanisms can arise a complex machine that can even ponder questions of morality? It's kinda neat, ain't it?
It's to deflect the traditional criticism of a naturalist world view - that the world loses the sense of wonder if you explain it all in purely physical terms.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: February 15, 2022, 04:57:04 pm »

Didn't you all learn in literature class in school that it doesn't matter what an author intended from a work, it's how the general audience interprets it?  The choice of title for that book colors its interpretation and public perception of it.  Dawkins can say "I didn't mean it that way" just as any other author or artist or forum poster can say they didn't mean something some way it was taken, but that doesn't change how it was taken.

Maybe Dawkins didn't claim those things, but people who cite Dawkins often do.

Those of us who do know more about it just treat it mechanically - that's why I gave the advice I gave about how to rephrase it, to help minimize the likelihood of the "general public" from using things contrary to their intent.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: February 15, 2022, 04:59:15 pm »

Invoking the death of the author for the title alone makes no sense. Again, it's literally judging the book by the cover.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: February 15, 2022, 05:05:03 pm »

Thankfully, Dawkins is not the only authority on this matter. His theory has been embraced by the scientific community and is now being taught at high-level biology courses in universities. It's been consensus for many years now.
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 779