Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859102 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9060 on: July 12, 2021, 08:48:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: July 13, 2021, 04:37:12 am »

I have both sleep and anxiety meds. Both are addictive and the withdrawal symptoms on the sleep ones are potentially rather un-fun, so I avoid them as far as possible. The great fun is that the sleeping pills don't actually help with the fact that sleeping doesn't seem to rest me! They do help on the really bad days, though, yes, which is good.

Beta blockers? I was on Pranolol for a while to help with both sleep and anxiety, and it's not known to be habit-forming. You do need to ease off of them when you're done, but that's not a painful process. And I'd been taking them daily for almost 8 years.

Quetiapine is also one that really helped with putting me to sleep and, similarly, isn't known to be habit-forming. However, I did tend to sleep quite a bit on it, so I don't know if that would do much for your particular case.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: July 13, 2021, 05:18:20 am »

Quetiapine is a prescription neuroleptic. It's not something you'd normally use to address insomnia..
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: July 13, 2021, 06:07:45 am »

I was on Sleep Hormone Medicine for a few years and it's what's worked best for me. Unfortunately they moved them off the health rebate list so I'm not any more. Hoarding my last pillbox like a dragon though.

Now I use my anti-anxiety pills for sleep instead. Which is probably a bad idea, but yeah.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: July 13, 2021, 06:34:55 am »

Quetiapine is a prescription neuroleptic. It's not something you'd normally use to address insomnia..

Not normally, no. But it was for me, and I ended up being one of the cases where it helped.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: July 13, 2021, 04:02:13 pm »

Current upsetti- The impedance-regulating six-speaker-set-switcher I thrifted yesterday has not alleviated the missing middles in my stereo setup. It's less cabling up front, which is nice, at least, but I'll have to finagle some of that if I want to test out the non-biwired speaker pair I thrifted for six bucks to debug the system.

Slightly worried the core flaw is with the amp itself, which would suck beans because it's pretty much an antique and irreplaceable on my budget. Oh well, I'll play with it some more tomorrow when it's not the middle of the night and I won't wake up my neighbors.

Unrelated- 'six-speaker-set-switcher for missing middles' is some jammin' alliteration. Good lilt.

Good news, it's not the amp. Sound is just washed out in one of my speakers, which could maybe be fixed with a little bit of internal maintenance? That's unfamiliar territory for me, but I could keep it as is and just use the separate volume knobs to tweak treble/bass balance instead. Ooooorrr I drop dosh for better speakers, knowing that there's room for quality growth there with the amp at its core. Not awful, given the whole setup was twenty bucks with no promise of it working.

Bad news, the speakers I bought to test this kinda sorta suck beans, so now I have to get rid of those, and probably retweak everything behind the console for better cable management. Oof.

Unrelated- Spotify audio quality sucks real bad. Really really bad. It's like someone put a pillow over the song. I can't listen for mids if Spotify's eating them before my speakers do!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: July 13, 2021, 05:43:11 pm »

Unrelated- Spotify audio quality sucks real bad. Really really bad. It's like someone put a pillow over the song. I can't listen for mids if Spotify's eating them before my speakers do!

I knew that Spotify uses the outdated Vorbis codec (seriously, Opus is right there, why aren't you using it!?), but I didn't think it could be that bad. I'm speaking anecdotally here, but even Vorbis at 48 kbps, its lowest setting, doesn't sound muffled to me, just compression-artifact-y. Is it not your EQ settings? There's also a streaming quality setting somewhere in there; you may wanna check there.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: July 13, 2021, 06:24:35 pm »

Hm, maybe it's a DAC thing between my tablet and my phone? I dunno, I've got FLACs on my phone to reference from and spotify from the tablet, but it's night and day with the same piece of Radiohead. I'm hardly an audiophile though.

Also, occasionally I get a 'chirp' when I use spotify from the browser, and it's awful and terrible and really interrupts my listening.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: July 13, 2021, 10:40:34 pm »

I hate pedos and #MAPsRights. I don't care if they're "non-offending", I still hate them for being pedos. That is all.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: July 14, 2021, 03:23:24 am »

I care if they're non-offending. They can't help their paraphilia. They can help whether or not they act on it, painful as that may be. And if they don't act on it, it's not really hurting anyone else.

Hot take, I know.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: July 14, 2021, 03:29:20 am »

I care if they're non-offending. They can't help their paraphilia. They can help whether or not they act on it, painful as that may be. And if they don't act on it, it's not really hurting anyone else.

Hot take, I know.
If they're non-offending they should stay deep in the closet. It's literally impossible for me to not treat them like trash. They disgust me to my very core. I can't explain why. If I found out my friend was a pedo I'd cut off all communications.

Maybe something's wrong with me, I don't know. But I can't talk to a pedo without wanting to throw something heavy or sharp at them through the computer screen.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:36:16 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: July 14, 2021, 06:29:20 am »

MaxTheFox is very militant against pedophilia due to her deeply held religious beliefs.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: July 14, 2021, 06:38:50 am »

Nah I used to hate them even more before I converted. Used to actually want them dead instead of just... out of my life.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: July 14, 2021, 07:36:40 am »

So my new job has found a very mundane way to add stress to my life: forcing me to request a password reset on one specific program, over and over. Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and again today. For some unexplainable reason, my login credentials keep getting revoked; I'm not doing anything wrong, I've been using computers and logging into stuff my whole life almost, I'm used to logging into things, I'm certain that I'm putting the info in right and not locking myself out... it just decides to give me a headache every day now.

Like, this new job requires me to log in to 6-7 different things, all in different places and all with different usernames and passwords. I think that's irritating but I can do it. It's just this one that is giving me trouble, and it's the one I NEED to actually do my job!

My supervisor has advised me to not punch in today until this issue is resolved. I'm actually mad, I don't want to be losing income because of some stupidass computer glitch, or some IT guy that is trolling me from behind the scenes for some reason! And it only seems to be me! Noone else is experiencing this! It feels like I'm getting gaslit into believing I don't actually know how fucking passwords work!

I guess I'll just start looking for a new job right now, cause this is fucking ridiculous. I can tolerate angry and difficult customers; I don't want to tolerate being an unpaid victim of Skynet's trolling.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: July 14, 2021, 10:22:00 am »

I present to you my incoherent ranting in regards to cooking. Enjoy.

Everything about our oven is contriving to make my life difficult whenever I want to use it.

I moved into my grandmother's house a little while back, both to keep an eye on her and because home was starting to feel claustrophobic, so among other things I get to familiarize myself with her kitchen. In this kitchen is an oven, I don't really know how old it is, at a guess I'd say at least 30 years? Nan hasn't used it in one or two decades having developed a diet for easier to prepare meals, so we're breaking new ground here.

Anyways, I've been told that the oven was first obtained from somewhere else, so at some point in its life 70% of the markings rusted off. This wasn't difficult to overcome for baking purposes, which is what I use it for, but it means using it for anything else (which I eventually want to do) is going to be a bit trial and error. For now I attached a bit of sticky paper to the dial to signify the desired temperature.

Using an oven means oven mitts, of which we had none, so we got some. Unfortunately these mitts are a lot less flexible than what I'm used to, so that's a nuisance.

There's not much variety in the oven trays so I use a plain flat sheet of metal. It's not wide enough to reach the edges of the oven so I need to place it on the oven rack naturally. Unfortunately these oven racks and this oven have a helpful "feature" where you can't pull them out directly, you need to tilt them up first and then pull them out. (God knows why, it's not like they're going to fall out when the door is shut.) So if I don't want to struggle with the rack, I need to grip and remove the tray with my big, cumbersome oven mitts. The rack also has a kind of arch at the front, so if I want to have hope of pulling the tray out, I need to sit it on the arch, which tilts the tray backwards slightly. More on that later.

Completing this ensemble is the baking paper and aluminium foil. Back home I just wiped the trays with butter to prevent sticking but I soon discovered that this made them impossible to clean, so I got baking paper and foil, in case one or the other didn't pan out. For the past month or two I've been using the baking paper without much difficulty, until I discovered a kind of waxy substance forming on it after use. I thought the temperatures I was baking at might've been too hot for whatever coating it used so I switched to the foil. (Though tonight I discovered the same substance on the foil as well, so who knows what's causing it. It doesn't seem to get in the food at least. Going to get opinions on that later.)

This is where my troubles began. See, the packaging for the foil boasts of its non-sticking properties, and indeed the food doesn't stick! At all! The food I'm usually baking, sausage rolls, do their damnedest to slide right off the tray and into the oven or onto the floor, often before I even touch said tray. This property really synergizes with the backwards tilt on the tray so that while the rolls often don't fall off completely thanks to the oven rack catching them, they're still very close to the edge.

Now, I can usually remove the tray with only a few rolls falling off which get caught by the rack so I can collect them with a pair of tongs. Today however, I thought that maybe I would be better off properly seating the tray onto the oven rack and just removing the rack itself. Boy, big mistake. I had forgotten how high you had to lift the rack to get it to come out so while I struggled to remove the rack, half the rolls fell off and landed onto the bottom of the oven, which I haven't gotten around to cleaning yet. Thanks to the arch on the oven rack you can't just grab the oven tray, so eventually I had to cave and grab a pair of tongs to lift the tray up so I could grab it. The rolls that fell off don't seem to have collected anything so I carefully grabbed them with the tongs one by one and put them with the rest. And then I ate my fill with no regard to which fell because I'm not going to let something like that cheat me out of half my food, dammit.

While it didn't really affect my day, it got me really worked up while it was happening let me tell you.

I'm going to go look into getting a big oven tray that isn't flat and can sit in the oven without needing an oven rack so I can forget this business about food falling off and the finicky process of trying to get it out of my oven.
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 779